Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   canned cat food (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48741)

Crazy4Cats January 22nd, 2008 02:44 PM

canned cat food

I have 10 cats and feed them Compliments canned food. Starting Monday, 5 of my cats that ate one flavour have vomitted and have diarrhea. Watching them to make sure they don't get dehydrated.
Of the rest of my cats, one cat mainly eats dry food, 3 others had a different flavour of Compliments and my other cat is on a special veterinarian diet and these cats are all OK.

Just curious if any of you feed your cats this food and if you have had any of the same problems.

phoozles January 22nd, 2008 04:32 PM

Sorry to hear your kitties are sick :sick:
What was the flavor that made them ill? Hopefully they'll be on the mend soon :fingerscr- have you tried upgrading their food?

rainbow January 22nd, 2008 05:06 PM

I'm reall sorry to hear about your kitties. :sad: Compliments cat food was on the recall list from earlier this year. Check your UPC codes....

[url]http://www.compliments.ca/recall/cat-dog-food.html[/url]

Save the cans/pouches that you used even if they are not on that list and contact your veterinarian. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Crazy4Cats January 22nd, 2008 05:06 PM

Flavor was Prime Grill with Beef.
I am going to try them on some food samples from my vets where I work to see if they like the food. It will be more expensive but worth it.

phoozles January 22nd, 2008 06:22 PM

If I might, and if you're willing to spend the money, I would like to suggest [URL="http://www.omhpet.com/wellness/cat_wellness_can_index.html"]canned Wellness grain free[/URL]. It's better for your kitties than the vet stuff, and because of its high calorie content, they'll eat less of it. :thumbs up

Also, I wanted to add, that even though Wellness is more than the Compliments brand, it's typically far cheaper than the vet Hills/Science Diet stuff, which is high in grains and not much else.

rainbow January 22nd, 2008 06:43 PM

I didn't see the Prime Grill with Beef on the list I posted but I would still save the packaging just in case.

I agree with Phoozles about feeding Wellness if you can. Check the ingredients with the food from the vet and you'll see the difference.

badger January 22nd, 2008 07:48 PM

My cats turn their back on Compliments canned, even if they're 'starving' :laughing: and that's enough for me. Friskies, which is what I generally feed, is one notch up but I know it's not the greatest either.

Crazy4Cats January 23rd, 2008 06:28 AM

My one cat needs to be on a weight control. He also gets blocked very easily so he needs something with low ash and magnesium.

clm January 23rd, 2008 07:15 AM

I've tried all the pricey good for you canned foods for my cats and they won't even sniff at them let alone eat them. :frustrated: The raccoons got the good stuff in the end. They weren't so picky. :laughing:
The only canned mine will eat is Fancy feast, the pate varieties. They will eat Friskies pate varieties too if given no choice.

Cindy

Love4himies January 23rd, 2008 07:32 AM

How is the weight control food working for you. If not, try a higher quality, higher protein, low carb food, you may find your cat will eat less on its own. As for low ash, magnesium, they are now finding that this is leading to calcium kidney stones in cats, so you may end with a different stone blockage if your cat is on this diet for too long. Best for any cat who has a history of crystals/stones is lots of water and quality canned food, no kibble.

[url]http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/Pages/Bladder_Stones_Obstruct_Web.pdf[/url]

phoozles January 23rd, 2008 06:23 PM

Yep, you can avoid 'weight control' products altogether if you get them on a good food - I've got a big kitty on 4/5ths of a can a day on Wellness and he's actually lost way more weight than he lost on the 'weight control' stuff (which was none).
Higher calories means they get full faster and eat less - as long as you serve them the right portions, of course.

Masha January 23rd, 2008 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=phoozles;536186]I've got a big kitty on 4/5ths of a can a day on Wellness [/QUOTE]

Phoozles -- is that the medium sized cans (5.5 oz/155g)? Mine eats about a can a day and i was wondering if that is too little (the can says to feed a can per 6-8 pounds of body weight and mine is 11 pounds and only eats 1 can). How big is your cat?

Crazy4Cats January 23rd, 2008 09:00 PM

I have spent the last two days ( and nights) cleaning up after various cats vomitting. Luckily they're not all sick. I woke up last night twice to two of them getting sick. I came home from work today and 2 of my cats refuse to eat anything. One of them was vomitting quite a bit today. So I am syringing water down him so he doesn't get dehydrated and will be taking him to my vet tomorrow. I have kept all the cans that I assume made my cats sick. I got some medicine from my vet (flagyl or metronidazole)today as the majority of my cats still have diarrhea.
I have ordered some Wellness canned and dry from my vet. Hopefully they will like it. I am willing to pay the extra cost.
The other cats seem to be doing OK.

Masha January 23rd, 2008 09:46 PM

Hope they feel better soon!!

Crazy4Cats January 24th, 2008 06:31 AM

I slept with the one cat last night and about 4 am this morning, I woke up and was eating some canned food (not Compliments) and the other cat was eating as well. Another cat that was sick on Monday still has bloody diarrhea.
Those pills (flagyl) are really nasty, if you don't get them down all the way, the cat starts frothing at the mouth. Tried putting them in Pill Pockets yesterday, some of the cats gobbled them down and other cats upped their noses at the Pill Pockets. When I get home from work today, I'm going to get my husbands help in getting the pills down them. Lots of fun :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom January 24th, 2008 07:45 AM

Try to follow the pills with a chaser of water or tuna juice (by syringe), or at the very least a tasty treat like plain meat baby food (no onions). That should help the pill go down and prevent it getting stuck in their throat. Good luck!

phoozles January 24th, 2008 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=Masha;536204]Phoozles -- is that the medium sized cans (5.5 oz/155g)? Mine eats about a can a day and i was wondering if that is too little (the can says to feed a can per 6-8 pounds of body weight and mine is 11 pounds and only eats 1 can). How big is your cat?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go by what the say on the can - Wellness has a lot of calories in it. My cat [I]was[/I] 16.8 lbs - he's lost some weight so I'm getting him weighed on Saturday - and I feed him, as I said, 4/5th of the 5.5 oz can (just under 5 ounces), because he's on a diet. 11 lbs is a good size for a cat, so you could get away with feeding your cat just the one can a day - it has about the right amount of calories to maintain them at 11lbs.

[QUOTE=Crazy4Cats;536431]I slept with the one cat last night and about 4 am this morning, I woke up and was eating some canned food (not Compliments) and the other cat was eating as well. Another cat that was sick on Monday still has bloody diarrhea.
Those pills (flagyl) are really nasty, if you don't get them down all the way, the cat starts frothing at the mouth. Tried putting them in Pill Pockets yesterday, some of the cats gobbled them down and other cats upped their noses at the Pill Pockets. When I get home from work today, I'm going to get my husbands help in getting the pills down them. Lots of fun :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your ongoing troubles - my guy turned his nose up at Pill Pockets too and HATED pill time! Doing the team effort tends to work sometimes. Good luck and keep us posted! :fingerscr