Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Glucosamine or not? and why? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81214)

Winston May 30th, 2012 05:30 PM

Glucosamine or not? and why?

I have been wondering about giving Glucosamine to Sophie? Now usually most folks wait until their dogs are older and then start them on a routine dosage. Why is it that we dont give it as a preventative? why not start when they younger? is there a health issue or other reason we dont.

I havent done alot of research yet but just wondering what general knowledge there is on the subject.

Sophie is going in for heartworm testing and check up so I can ask our vet.

Cindy

Longblades May 30th, 2012 06:18 PM

In my readings it is better as a preventative than as a cure. Though it has been proven to stimulate production of sinovial fluid and help regenerate very small amounts of damage to cartilege. I do give Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM 1300 twice a day to my 73 lb Lab. I started when he was about 10 months old and in the middle of a three month long mystery limp and kept it up with my Vet's blessing.

If you google glucosamine and diabetes you'll probably get some hits. I think they will be old but there was a lot of talk, unsubstantiated as far as I could telll, about a link. Seems to have died down.

Winston May 30th, 2012 06:26 PM

Thats intersting Longblades. I have that problem with my knee where it does not have any of the sinovial fluid thus extremely painful. Sophie is 9 mo. I wonder if there have been any studies on long term effects vs not long? I will have to get googling! thank you for your reply. :thumbs up

Cindy

hazelrunpack May 31st, 2012 12:43 AM

If you want a minor clinical "anecdotal study" (:laughing:) our two boys, Cole and Ember, have been on it since about the age of 18 months, I believe, since both have some elbow abnormalities. There has been, as far as we can tell, no longterm side effects to the glucosamine/chondroitin after 10 years. :shrug: That's not to say there couldn't be, but we haven't seen any. :o

cpietra16 May 31st, 2012 06:09 AM

I agree with everyone above....Winnie (Lab- 90lbs) is 15 years old and has been taking Glucosamine since she's been 5-6 years old.
I am not saying that it has kept her up and running for 15 years, but I must say that for a 15 year old Lab she is mobile.

MaxaLisa May 31st, 2012 02:28 PM

I put both of my dogs on it when they were young, and their joints were very well preserved throughout their lives. They still had some problems in old age, but they started out with issues too. I firmly believe that it will help. I have a 7 month old pup here now, and I put her on cosequin as soon as she arrived here last month.

erykah1310 May 31st, 2012 08:35 PM

I have never had much success with Glucosamine, but I do use Sashas blend for my old girls shoulder, it worked so well I put my young guy on it as a preventative, he is super hard on his joints and super high impact with everything he does.

Winston June 1st, 2012 07:44 AM

What a great idea! I used to use that on Winston and I did see some improvement.

It sounds like alot of folks use it when their dogs are young so I will definately look into it.

Thanks everyone!