Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   The Pack's backyard garden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63741)

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 09:42 PM

The Pack's backyard garden

3 Attachment(s)
Just random shots of the flowers...cuz madame hazel thinks flowers are pretty and forced me to post some pics! :rolleyes:

:D

[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][I][B][COLOR="Magenta"]Peonies

[ATTACH]54065[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54066[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54067[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 09:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Magenta"][I][B]a very popular patch of Chives

[ATTACH]54068[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54069[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54070[/ATTACH][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 09:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Magenta"]Pansies
[ATTACH]54071[/ATTACH]

Sweet William (last year the only plant that bloomed was hot pink...go figure :D)
[ATTACH]54072[/ATTACH]

Spiderwort (one of madame hazel's favoritest native plants :cloud9:)
[ATTACH]54073[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER][/FONT]

Dee-O-Gee June 28th, 2009 10:04 PM

Hey Hazel---I'll trade you some magenta pink peonies for some of your white ones? I LOVE the white ones and your's are absolutely STUNNING!

NOM...NOM...Chives--I keep having to divide mine and give them to friends but they sure do have pretty purple flowers.

Beautiful flowers Hazel! [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]and you thought you didn't have it in you! [/COLOR][/SIZE]:thumbs up

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 10:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][I][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Magenta"]more Spiderworts...just cuz madame hazel thinks they're so lovely

[ATTACH]54076[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54077[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]54075[/ATTACH][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I][/CENTER]

mollywog June 28th, 2009 10:09 PM

Beautiful flowers, Hazel... those Peonies are real showstoppers!! :eek:

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 10:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Magenta"][I][B]and finally, last but definitely not least, some exotics in and around the garden:

[ATTACH]54080[/ATTACH]
Grace in the garden

[ATTACH]54078[/ATTACH]
Lil Belle using the garden wall to keep her feet dry :laughing: She's such a wooss about wet paws!

[ATTACH]54079[/ATTACH]
We finally got the garden setter-proofed this year. Cass was checkin' out the fence... :D

[COLOR="Purple"]The End[/COLOR][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2009 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;794561]Hey Hazel---I'll trade you some magenta pink peonies for some of your white ones? I LOVE the white ones and your's are absolutely STUNNING!

[COLOR="Purple"][I]If you can figure out a way to transport them without killing them, you're on! :thumbs up[/I][/COLOR]

Beautiful flowers Hazel! [SIZE="1"][COLOR="Purple"]and you thought you didn't have it in you! [/COLOR][/SIZE]:thumbs up[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="purple"][I]I don't--these flowers pretty much take care of themselves. I just give them water when it doesn't rain. :D [/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=mollywog;794564]Beautiful flowers, Hazel... those Peonies are real showstoppers!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][I]They were beautiful...and then the Peony Raids started. :rolleyes: Setters evidently have a craving for peony blossoms... I'd have beautiful blooms in the morning and they'd all be shredded by afternoon. *sigh* We finally bowed to necessity and fenced the garden in last week... :D[/I][/COLOR]

growler~GateKeeper June 28th, 2009 11:59 PM

Love the Pansies & Sweet William, the Spiderwort is pretty :cool: too

But I especially love the exotics in your garden ;)

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2009 12:12 AM

Me, too. :lovestruck:

:D

Tundra_Queen June 29th, 2009 01:22 AM

Hazel love your gardens!

I was going to ask u how u kept the pups from running thru the tulips and ummm transplanting everything...then I saw the fence! :laughing:

I have taught all our dogs not to run thru Mommy's gardens, but I have only had one at a time to teach, not ummm...how many do u have now? 20? :D

Love those peonies! Do they have a nice smell?

Debbie

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2009 02:27 AM

The peonies smell [I]heavenly[/I]!! I forget how good they smell each year until they bloom--then it's hard to pull hazel away.

That fence just went up last week--in prior years everything was protected by tomato cages (not very setter-proof as it turns out :D) and there was only the very short black fence that you can see in front of Grace...also obviously not setter-proof. :rolleyes:

After this year's Peony Raids, we put up the green fencing. Although Sheriff Cole bounced off it trying to get to a mouse in the garden the day after we put it up, so far it's thwarted the attempts of various Pack members to chase Villainous Varmints through the garden.

They aren't happy about it. :laughing:

There's a news item about it [URL="http://www.outdoorsunlimited.net/~hobbittoes/setterscorner%20v4,i5/index_files/Page308.htm"]here[/URL] if you want to read more :p

CearaQC June 29th, 2009 06:12 AM

This fall yank up the peony roots and slice apart with a clean knife and share/replant! Just as long as each piece has some of the pink knobby bits for next year's shoots.

The Spiderwort is so lovely! And blue! Good blue flowers so hard to get in a garden.

You have a such a great eye for photography Hazel. :thumbs up

chico2 June 29th, 2009 07:05 AM

Hazel,beautiful flowers,for a non-gardener:confused: you are doing great:thumbs up

I have a whole bunch of Spiderworts(did not know the name before),I am not to fond of them,although the flowers are really pretty,it's a plant you just could not kill:laughing:
The Peonies are stunning,WOW!!

breeze June 29th, 2009 09:24 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;794567][COLOR="purple"][I]I don't--these flowers pretty much take care of themselves. I just give them water when it doesn't rain. :D [/I][/COLOR]

[/QUOTE]

now thats my kind of garden :highfive: just add water :laughing: and poof instant garden lol lol
works for me..

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2009 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=CearaQC;794643]This fall yank up the peony roots and slice apart with a clean knife and share/replant! Just as long as each piece has some of the pink knobby bits for next year's shoots.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Ceara! So if I wanted to ship them, any idea how would I do it? And will they get stopped at the border? Hmmmm....are peonies on a 'forbidden' list somewhere? :o

[QUOTE=chico2;794655]I have a whole bunch of Spiderworts(did not know the name before),I am not to fond of them,although the flowers are really pretty,it's a plant you just could not kill:laughing:
The Peonies are stunning,WOW!![/QUOTE]

Turns out you can't kill these peonies, either! :laughing: If you could, I'm sure they'd be dead by now :rolleyes: As you say, the spiderwort is rediculously easy to grow...it spreads, too. So far, it's not been a problem cuz I've hemmed them in with coneflowers that are also spreading like wildfire. But if they're willing to grow, I'm willing to let them do their thing. :D

[QUOTE=breeze;794689]now thats my kind of garden :highfive: just add water :laughing: and poof instant garden lol lol
works for me..[/QUOTE]

Mine, too! :laugh: It's the only way hazel can garden. :o

14+kitties June 29th, 2009 11:26 AM

I love spiderwort too. I wish the flowers lasted longer. Mine tend to fall over a little. Guess I need to look after my beds better. :D
Beautiful!!!

CearaQC June 29th, 2009 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;794738]Thanks, Ceara! So if I wanted to ship them, any idea how would I do it? And will they get stopped at the border? Hmmmm....are peonies on a 'forbidden' list somewhere? :o [/QUOTE]

Well I dunno about customs, but you can slip it in a parcel with other stuff and they probably wouldn't even check. :crazy:

When I got mine from Veseys Seeds a couple of years ago they were in some peat moss in a plastic bag.

[quote]To divide a peony root, dig the plant up in early September, wash off the soil, and let it rest in the shade for a couple of hours so that the roots will be less brittle and easier to cut. Cut the roots into pieces with a shovel blade or sharp knife. Each piece should have at least three and not more than a dozen eyes visible; bigger is not better in this case, since for some cultivars a larger division will grow more slowly and bloom less profusely. Replant as soon as possible so that the roots don’t dry out. Store divisions in slightly damp peat moss if you can’t plant them right away.

Peony root divisions should be replanted in the fall so that they can establish a network of feeder roots before the onset of winter.[/quote]

[url]http://www.peony.ca/e_html/articles/culture.htm[/url]

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2009 11:59 AM

Hmmm...that doesn't sound too hard. I'm gonna have to work up the nerve to do it, though, cuz usually if I touch something too often or give it some attention (unles it's a weed :rolleyes:), it dies. :o Think the roots would survive 2 - 4 weeks in damp moss if I shipped them somewhere?

I do know that when we put the porch on the shed and made it into a dog run, we had to hack up the peonies and then replanted them too deep. Except that they poked their heads up a little later in spring, they did fine...but we didn't break up the root ball, just moved it a few feet over. :shrug: Still, they seem to be pretty tough or they wouldn't survive hazel's touch at all! :laughing:

Tundra_Queen June 29th, 2009 03:32 PM

Hazel I'm glad u built a anti bumble bee garden fence. Those bumble bees can be so rough on things. :laughing:

Debbie

chico2 June 29th, 2009 03:38 PM

Hazel,all I ever do is water if it has not rained and dead-head the flowers,no fertelizer or anything like that.
We do add fresh top-soil about every second year.

hazelrunpack June 29th, 2009 04:46 PM

Oh, yeah, those darn bumblebees can be [I]so[/I] destructive! :frustrated:

:o

:laughing:

chico--that's sort of how I do it, too...only unintentionally. We add top soil because the garden is raised and the soil slowly subsides in certain spots...so we add soil to level it out. I never even thought about it being nutritious for the plants. :o I believe hazel practices 'accidental gardening' :laughing: