Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Petey ate Poison! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40843)

Smiley14 May 26th, 2007 11:44 PM

Petey ate Poison!

I'm a nervous wreck right now. It's 11:33pm and I'm waiting to hear back from the emergency vet. I was doing yardwork this evening and had sprinkled down some Ortho Slug killer stuff around my hostas, went inside the house for a moment to throw the bottle away, came back out to find Petey eating it! :eek: It says on the bottle that it can be fatal to dogs, so I KNOW better. I use this stuff every year and normally lock the dog door overnight to keep him out of it. I just wasn't thinking when I walked into the house. I went up the stairs, thought of it and went running back down, so it wasn't more than 30 seconds to a minute at most, but there he was munching away. I called the emergency vet, who had me call Animal Poison Control, who gave me a case # and told me to take him into the vet. So I went to the nearest Emergency vet. They called in the case number to poison control to get instructions with that particular kind of poison and gave him an antiobiotics IV right away as well as charcoal to make him throw up. They then said we have to wait 3-4 hours to see if any symtoms show up. The danger is kidney damage or seizures brought on by the poison. So now I'm sitting here waiting. They're supposed to call me between 2-3 am to let me know if he's showing symtoms or not. If not, I can take him home then. If so, then he'll be kept longer of course. I'm at my sister's house right now as she lives only a few miles from the vet and my house is almost 40 minutes away. He was his normal happy-go-lucky self when I left and after they had him throw up, so they are optimistic he won't show any symtoms, but right now, it's just a waiting game. I'm so scared right now. They said they've seen a lot of cases lately with this same brand of Ortho! I cannot believe I did that! I feel just sick right now. I have to also take him back into the vet in 3 days for another kidney test as well just to make sure. So they are optimistic for a full recovery, but don't know anything quite yet. :sad: Please pray for Petey, I'm scared sick right now.

Prin May 26th, 2007 11:48 PM

:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: I hope he's ok. :grouphug:

otter May 26th, 2007 11:55 PM

OMG Smiley, I sure hope Petey will be just fine :fingerscr :pray: .

badger May 27th, 2007 12:01 AM

Hang in there Petey :fingerscr

angeldogs May 27th, 2007 12:35 AM

:fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: For Petey late everything will be ok.:grouphug:

TeriM May 27th, 2007 12:52 AM

:fingerscr :goodvibes: Fingers crossed for Petey. You are so lucky that you actually saw him eat it and didn't just notice when he got sick. Lucy once ate rat poisin on one of our walks but luckily hubby saw her eat it so we rushed her to the vet. One option for future is to use a big spoon of salt and shove it down their throat. Makes Lucy puke within minutes :thumbs up . Does give her a pretty upset tummy for about a day or so but on a few occasions where I've been really worried about something she grabbed it has been well worth it.

Good luck Petey :goodvibes: :fingerscr :grouphug: .

Maya May 27th, 2007 01:44 AM

That is so scary, hope he'll be okay.:pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr: At least you caught it right away.:grouphug:

ChancesMom May 27th, 2007 02:14 AM

I that that everything turns out OK!

I have to wonder what is in that poison that would entice a dog to eat it....

I do hope that you are able to find something less harmful to use in the future that will be effective on getting rid of your pest problem.

Smiley14 May 27th, 2007 04:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys. :grouphug:

Good news! The induced vomiting so soon after ingesting seems to have worked. We're past the main window of time for symptoms, so that is GOOD. I still have to watch him tonight, but I was able to at least bring him home. They called me at 2:30am, and it's now 4am. We're finally back home and trying to get settled in for the night. He is agitated and keeps whining and has some nasty diarrhea from the charcoal. He keeps wanting to go outside every 15 minutes or so and I can't leave his doggie door open because of the same bug poison I sprinkled around outside! So I think it will be a long rest of the night. The bug stuff is for slugs, it's little pellet shaped nuggets that dogs apparently love the taste of for some reason. They said they've had several cases with this same brand. They gave me the name of another brand (Sluggo) that is pet friendly, so I'll never use this other brand ever again!

Here's a few pics of poor Petey. You can tell he doesn't feel very well.

gomez May 27th, 2007 06:07 AM

yeeeeeeyyyyy Petey! :highfive: Well done mate! Hope he continues to improve and you get some sleep!

hazelrunpack May 27th, 2007 06:46 AM

Poor Petey and Smiley! What a terrible night!

But so happy to hear that Petey seems okay after his adventure! :grouphug: How is he this morning?

How long will you have to wait for the slug stuff to dissolve? I hope it washes in soon :fingerscr

Hugs and kisses for you and for Petey...

chico2 May 27th, 2007 07:08 AM

Happy to hear Petey is going to be ok:thumbs up
I too had those pellets for slugs,but quickly discovered Rocky and Vinnie loves them,luckily I discovered them sniffing around,they did not eat any.
Don't remember the name,that was last year.
Now I just use a little saucer of beer next to the Hostas,there are many other ways to discourage slugs,like gravel around the plant,or anything else they cannot slide on.
Hope Petey continues to improve!

Skryker May 27th, 2007 07:43 AM

:goodvibes: :goodvibes: for Petey! What a night! You must be totally exhausted.

:fingerscr that everything is fine today.:grouphug:

Lukka'sma May 27th, 2007 08:00 AM

Rough night for the little guy. Hope he returns to himself soon. Good luck with the follow up test in the next few days.

angeldogs May 27th, 2007 11:28 AM

I'm glad to hear Petey is alright.now Petey no more eating things your not supposed to eat.you handsome fella.

Frenchy May 27th, 2007 12:16 PM

Petey !!! What have you done ! :dog: Glad he's ok , that must had been a rough night for you both :grouphug:

Prin May 27th, 2007 12:19 PM

Aww, poor doggy! I'm glad he got pumped in time though. :grouphug: :goodvibes: :fingerscr

otter May 27th, 2007 12:40 PM

Good work Smiley :thumbs up I'm so glad Petey is doing OK.

I keep a couple of bottles of liquid charcoal on hand just in case of an event like that. I also was told you can give them hydrogen peroxide to make dogs barf (use a syringe without a needle to get it in). I got the charcoal special ordered from our local pharmacy, it's called Charcodote. It's the same stuff they use when people are brought into the ER with poisoning. I have an extra bottle in case I hear of another dog who might have eaten something nasty. I wouldn't recommend using any of these first aid things until you've contacted a vet and gotten advice on what to do. Barfing can be really detrimental in some types of poisoning. If you have something on hand and the vet says Charcoal or barfing will help you can use them at home to help while you get them to the vet.

- I live way to far from a vet (3hrs) for them to be of any help where immediate care is needed so I keep all kinds of first aid stuff on hand. Chloe ate a pound of dark chocolate one day when I wasn't home (she found it under the couch, it must have fallen behind it at Christmas) and from that experience I learned tons about treating poisoning. Chloe was OK in the end.

JanM May 27th, 2007 12:45 PM

I'm so sorry you both had to go through that nightmare - but thank the dogs everything seems to be ok! Hang in there :fingerscr :fingerscr

CyberKitten May 27th, 2007 12:53 PM

Just saw this thread and I am sorry you and Petey had to go through this but very glad to hear it was a happy turnout!! That's great news!!! It's also good to learn of a safe product for animals! (Not that I use that stuff anyway but if one has to, I am glad there is something like what you mentioned.)

I am so glad that this is a good news story!!! :grouphug:

Smiley14 May 27th, 2007 01:30 PM

We had a really rough night, but hopefully the worst is past now. It's 1pm, and he's finally sleeping for the first time. Right after I posted at 4am, he got even more agitated and kept whining in this voice I have never heard from him before. Scared me! He wanted desperately to go outside, but then wouldn't do anything and come right back in again. We went in and out about five times in a half hour and finally around 5am, I opened his doggie door for him and plopped down in one of the deck chairs with a blanket to make sure he didn't try to eat any more of the bug stuff. It usually dissolves within 24 hours, so should be gone by tonight. I'll check to make sure of course. Anyway, we stayed outside for almost an hour where he would run inside, drink tons of water, run outside and pee and then run around in mad circles around the yard, all hyper and whining. Just kept doing this over and over again. Just when I was finally about to call back the vet, he squatted down and went...and went....and went. After that, he was suddenly happy again. So back to bed we went, around 6ish or 6:30ish, only to be woken up at 7am and again at 9am to repeat this routine. Tons of water, tons of peeing, running, running, running until he finally squats to go. The last time was around 10:30, then he threw up once after that. Now he's sleeping finally and seems content.
The vet thinks it was the charcoal working through his system. After I dropped him off and left, they had given him some more activated charcoal hidden in dog food. (I didn't know that before! :eek: ) Apparently it's to absorb anything else possible left in his system. But kidney damage is also a possible outcome of this poison, so I have to take him back in for tests to his regular vet on Tuesday or if this doesn't stop, then back to the emergency vet later today. But it's been almost 3 hours since his last attack, so I'm tentatively hopeful we're in the clear now. UGH, what a night! Thank you all SO much for your support and advice. Even in the middle of the night, you guys were here! Thank you!!! :grouphug:

~michelle~ May 27th, 2007 07:41 PM

glad to hear that petey is ok poor guy!!

hazelrunpack May 27th, 2007 07:49 PM

For sure keep us posted on sweet Petey! I hope he doesn't need to see the vet before Tuesday... and I hope all his tests come out great! :fingerscr The Pack is crossin' their :pawprint:s for him!

glasslass May 27th, 2007 11:08 PM

Thank God you discovered what happened right away and got immediate help for Petey! I've used Sluggo for several years now and haven't had any problems with it. It is expensive, but totally worth it. Even then, I try to put it in areas where Corky and Den-Den can't get at it. Another hint I read about that I'm trying is cornmeal outside to get rid of ants. Even that, I'm trying to put where they can't easily get to it. Hope Petey will be ok and gets a good report on Tuesday. You have been though hell this weekend!:grouphug:

Smiley14 May 28th, 2007 12:02 AM

We didn't have to go back to the emergency vet today, so I hope the worst is over now! He threw up two more times around 6pm today and is still having some diarrhea, but hopefully we'll have a better night tonight! I'm still a little anxious until we get the kidney results back on Tuesday, but I'm sure they'll be fine.

But the charcoal seems to have really affected him. Has anyone else had any experience with this? He threw up three times today total, and each time was mostly black charcoal liquid. I now have two big black stains on my carpet that isn't coming out with carpet cleaner. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it? I might go rent a carpet shampooer tomorrow, because it's pretty gross! Also wondering how long I should expect his symptoms from the charcoal to last. Anyone else ever been through this before that would know? Nothing for the last six hours now, so I'm hoping this is the end of it now! :fingerscr We had a fun afternoon in the backyard and then a night on the deck with the firepit and he was acting his normal self, so I think he's feeling much better now!

angeldogs May 28th, 2007 12:51 AM

I don't know about the charcol.but with the rug you want to dap it.rubbing it will just put it in the fibers.have you tried letting it soak awile.you could try gasline anti-freeze but would have to keep Petey away from it.thats what we used to get out stains or get glue off the carpet when i used to install it.a carpet shampooer would be your best bet.

:fingerscr :goodvibes: Petey feels better soon and the kidney test come back ok.

ChancesMom May 28th, 2007 02:22 AM

So far it seems that the news is good and I hope that it continues this way through the additional testing.

I am also glad that they had a good suggestion for a pet friendly product to take the place of the one that you were using.

As far as his system goes, you may have already thought of this but I thought I would throw it out there... some of his gastrointestinal distress could also be from the different pet food that they fed him at the ER.

Best wishes. :pawprint:

rainbow May 28th, 2007 03:16 AM

I just read your post now. Poor Petey :grouphug: and poor you. :grouphug: I'm glad you got him to the vet in time and hope he is completely recovered by now. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

TeriM May 28th, 2007 03:17 AM

I'm glad Petey is ok :thumbs up .

LittleMissLevi May 28th, 2007 11:21 AM

The charcoal will take a while to move through his system and because of the trauma to his GI system it may take a few days to return to normal.

As for the stain try soaking it with vinegar water and putting a towel on top of it then a heavy book (may want to put a plastic bag between the book and towel). Do this first for 1/2 hour and then repeat the whole process but leave the towel + book on there for 12-24 hours and it will draw a bunch of the stain up by capillary action. After that it should be easy to clean with a carpet cleaner.

Good luck to both of you!