Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Dragonflies... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=65634)

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 02:21 PM

Dragonflies...

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][I][B][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]...come in gray...[/COLOR][/B][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

[ATTACH]57918[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]57919[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]57920[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 02:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][I][B][CENTER]...black...

[ATTACH]57921[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57922[/ATTACH][/CENTER][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 02:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[CENTER][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][I][B]...brown...

[ATTACH]57923[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57924[/ATTACH]

...and even red.

[ATTACH]57928[/ATTACH]

Beautiful to look at!

Plus, they eat the blasted mosquitoes... :o

What more could you ask for in an insect? :D[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

14+kitties September 15th, 2009 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;825757]
Plus, they eat the blasted mosquitoes... :o
What more could you ask for in an insect? :D[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Just more of them!! I have not seen but maybe one or two this year. :frustrated:
Great pics!!! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 02:37 PM

I haven't seen many, either... But suddenly our mosquito population soared and there the little darlin's were! :flirt: Soaring in to the rescue!!! :cloud9: My ankles are eternally grateful to them! :laughing:

breeze September 15th, 2009 03:02 PM

Look at those beautiful wings!! amazing how you got the light just right to bounce off..

I did not know they came in that many colors! WOW......

beautiful hazel..

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 03:08 PM

There are huge black-and-white ones, big Huey helicoptor-looking ones, and delicate blue ones, too, but I haven't been seeing any of those this year. :shrug: Maybe next year :fingerscr :D

breeze September 15th, 2009 03:11 PM

I think one of the big Huey helicoptor-looking ones, dropped by here the other day. the thing was big!!, one of my neighbors said it was a dragonfly

beautiful wing span I must say..

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 03:21 PM

The first spring we were here, the black flies were just terrible--clouds of them!!! :eek: We couldn't go out side at all it was so bad!! The dogs would run out, pee, poop, then run back in! :dog:

Then one morning, I looked out the window and there were hundreds of Hueys hovering over the yard--it looked like D-Day! :laughing: Et voila!! No more black flies!!! :thumbs up

It was amazing! And such a relief! :o

breeze September 15th, 2009 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;825782]The first spring we were here, the black flies were just terrible--clouds of them!!! :eek: We couldn't go out side at all it was so bad!! The dogs would run out, pee, poop, then run back in! :dog:

Then one morning, I looked out the window and there were hundreds of Hueys hovering over the yard--it looked like D-Day! :laughing: Et voila!! No more black flies!!! :thumbs up

It was amazing! And such a relief! :o[/QUOTE]

yes that would be a relief, those bugger are wicked and mean I tell you

chico2 September 15th, 2009 04:07 PM

Beautiful,Hazel!
We always have a few of them hovering over the pool,not so many this year though:sad:
One I really noticed,he was red,very pretty and the cats went nuts over him,but I did not let them catch him.

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 04:23 PM

I doubt the cats [I]could[/I] have caught him! They're very alert, cagey kinds of animals, those dragonflies! You should see them torment Ms Muddy Mossy Messy Macie. They hold still for a really long time, getting her hopes up, and just as she's getting ready to pounce, they flit off. Half the time I think she doesn't even see them go cuz they take off so fast...takes her another minute or so to realize she's no longer looking at anything! :laughing:

pbpatti September 15th, 2009 05:13 PM

Great pictures Hazel! We have a huge population of them at the "lake" I'll try to get some pic's this weekend, anddddd their mating!!! what a sight to them 2 huey's on a fly by :laughing:

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 07:56 PM

I hope you get some pics, patti! I [I]looovvvve[/I] dragonflies :flirt: 'specially those big ones!!!

Chaser September 15th, 2009 08:20 PM

Oooh the red one is very cool!

Dee-O-Gee September 15th, 2009 08:28 PM

Oh this is so kewl! :thumbs up

My bil & sil have a beautiful cottage nestled on a point that they've dubbed "dragonfly point." After they built the cottage, I painted them a glow-in-the-dark sign with their cottage number and 2 dragonflies. They have it hanging at the entrance lane to their cottage. :)

Did you know that if dragonflies get a speck of water on their wings, they can't fly? :shrug:

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 08:29 PM

I saw a kazillion of the red ones today, but that was the only one that let me get a pic :frustrated: For some reason, the red ones are more nervous than the others :shrug: Maybe cuz they're brighter and more easily spotted?

They're very pretty, though. :flirt:

hazelrunpack September 15th, 2009 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;825898]Did you know that if dragonflies get a speck of water on their wings, they can't fly? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Nope, I never knew that! :eek: So I guess that means they don't fly in the rain?

That sign sounds pretty cool! :highfive: Glow-in-the-dark! That's :cool:!

Dee-O-Gee September 15th, 2009 08:48 PM

The cottage sign turned out really nice. After painting the dragonflies and the numbers of their cottage, I shellacked it with about 10 coats of varathane and it still glows in the dark. :thumbs up

When spending time at the cottage, we rescued many of them caught up in the bay of water. We just scooped them out of the water and placed them on the shoreline. By the following morning, they were gone. :shrug:

growler~GateKeeper September 16th, 2009 02:37 AM

Gorgeous dragonfly :lovestruck: pics :highfive:

:o Duffy actually caught a dragonfly several years ago I didn't know until she already had caught it under my dad's truck, she did drop it as soon as I told her to. I think there must've been something wrong with it anyways cuz even though there was only very minimal damage to one wing it didn't fly away after I rescued it & put it up high safe under the deck. It didn't last more than a couple days after that :sad: :candle: The strangest thing was it didn't move at all for a couple of days except to wave a leg at me when I went to check on it. :)

Dog Dancer September 16th, 2009 10:26 AM

Hazel you are amazing with the pics you get. You challenging Rick C for amazing nature shots??? We were having dinner last night and I could hear this weird noise in the kitchen and the dogs were both looking around then I saw it "the dragon fly". I shut all the bedroom doors because I didn't want the darn thing in my room buzzing me all night. We just kept waving our arms at it and told the dogs to get it and the dogs started chasing it (although it was way high - no way they were going to get it). It flew out the kitchen door with both dogs barking in hot pursuit. They chased it clear down the driveway before Halo realized there was food on the table and she better get back to her post for begging (that's DH's fault).

hazelrunpack September 16th, 2009 01:04 PM

:laughing: So did they eventually route the intruder out the door, DD? :D

growler, it sounds like your dragonfly was old...I've seen the same thing in the garden--one will sit on the same leaf day after day and finally I'll look closer and find out it's dead :confused: The mysterious world of dragonflies...go figure! :shrug:

Dog Dancer September 16th, 2009 01:20 PM

Yes Hazel, they chased it out of the house and down the stairs into the driveway barking all the way. I was surprised it left the house that easily, I was worried it would refuse to leave.

hazelrunpack September 16th, 2009 01:27 PM

I was trying to figure out why it came in the house in the first place! :eek: I've never seen one under a roof. Not even in the garage! They like to feel the breeze ruffle their wings... :D