Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it ok to give cats human medicin? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71891)

Sew-sew-steve August 8th, 2010 01:02 PM

Is it ok to give cats human medicin?

So the vet gave me this medicin for my cat, I'm supposed to give it to her orally with a syring.

I decided to read the pamphlet/booklet, see if it's ok to give to my other cat.
Upon reading it I descovered that it's information consisted of humans use it, and nowhere did it state anything about animals.

Come to think of it, I could swear I've seen the same box cover in my 83 (year old) grandfathers medicin cabnet.

It says it's a substance naturally found in breast milk, this is what's written on the front:

"Medacef 125

cefaclor 125 mg/5 ml

Oral suspension

Antibiotic"

beneath is a a cartoon drawing of a tiger, with fruits underneath him.

Is it really ok to keep giving this to my cat (nunu) ?

erykah1310 August 8th, 2010 01:12 PM

if you got it from your vet its fine.
We have gone to the pharmacy to get medications for our dogs in the past with prescriptions written by our vet,
Why would you be giving it to your other cat?

catlover2 August 8th, 2010 01:15 PM

If the vet prescribed it [I]after seeing [/I]Nunu, I think you should trust him that it is safe. If it was for another cat, I would question it.

Winston August 8th, 2010 01:15 PM

SSS there are many human drugs that are used for humans. However dosages and side effects would differ. I googled it and that appears to be a general anitbiotic but the thing is I wouldnt give it unless needed by nunu and usually the vets will let you know if you need it.

Cats cannot have things like tylenol or advil or and type of pain meds. The other thing about anitbiotics is that they need to be taken until they are all finished. You should never stop them before they are finished and sometimes even us humans may need one or more dose to clear things up. So I would just give it to the one kitty is is prescribed for okay!

Now where are the updated pics Abe :D you know you cant post wihtout a pic! :laughing:

Cindy

Sew-sew-steve August 8th, 2010 01:32 PM

Ah.. That puts me at ease, I was starting to doubt the guy, still warry to be honest, he's a man of few words and tends to rush things.

Anyhow, I read the booklet to get an idea of what kind of medicin it is, maybe something that does no harm if given to another animal, non perscribtiion stuff. Obviously though, that's not the case.

Anyhow, thanks guys for taking the time to reply.

Oh and Cindy, I'll get right on that! I just need to get ahold of a good camera COUGH-Giovanni-COUGH lol.

mikischo August 8th, 2010 01:43 PM

The vet should have told you how much to give to Nunu and for how long. Please follow the [B]vet's[/B] instructions as to dosage and how long it should be given to Nunu.

Sew-sew-steve August 8th, 2010 01:51 PM

Yes he did it infront of me, with a syring. It's for her eye infection.

All the eye mucus that was there before is now gone, which is why I though of using it on gambit. But all I can do now is use those home remedies until I get my next paycheck.