Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   This is Winston (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33183)

coppperbelle November 21st, 2006 08:26 PM

This is Winston

1 Attachment(s)
Winston will be looking for a new forever home soon. He is not quite ready to leave foster care as he needs to be neutered and have his back legs checked by a vet. He has some weakness in his legs that may be attributed to arthritis or hip problems. He is able to walk and get around well but clearly has some trouble.
He is a wonderful boy, clean and quiet in the house. He gets along well with other dogs and loves people.

the gang November 21st, 2006 08:37 PM

hugs to winston, let me know if there is something else i can do, brenda and the pins.:grouphug:

100%doglover November 21st, 2006 09:16 PM

Awwww, he's adorable. Sure hope those hips stop bothering him with a little help :fingerscr

Prin November 22nd, 2006 02:01 PM

Good luck Mr Winston! :fingerscr

rainbow November 23rd, 2006 08:19 PM

Fingers crossed for Winston. :fingerscr

coppperbelle November 24th, 2006 07:36 PM

This is Winston

Winston is doing much better. He still has some problems with his back legs/hips but nothing like they were the first few days he was with us. I have begun giving him Bufferin every 12 hours and it seems to be helping. He is eating well and today began to play with Hunter and found a huge stick that he carried around and chewed on.
He will be neutered and x-rayed on December 5 and the ready to go to his new forever home.

meb999 November 24th, 2006 10:24 PM

he's beautifull :cloud9:

rainbow November 26th, 2006 02:20 AM

Glad to hear that Winston is feeling better. Hope he finds his forever home soon. :fingerscr

Frenchy November 30th, 2006 08:00 PM

I'm now Winston's new foster mom. I took over for Coppperbelle who has to rescue another doggie in need. We will hear about this new doggie next week. But for now, Winston is still looking for his forever family, likes dogs and is ok with Monsieur le chat. A little reminder on how cute he is...

TeriM November 30th, 2006 08:04 PM

Awwww, Frenchy did it again! Thanks to Copperbelle and you both for doing such a fab job fostering.

Do you guys foster with a specific organization? How does someone go about doing that? I think when I no longer have Lucy (hopefully a few more years yet!) I would like to try to foster.

Frenchy November 30th, 2006 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=TeriM;327334]Do you guys foster with a specific organization? How does someone go about doing that? I think when I no longer have Lucy (hopefully a few more years yet!) I would like to try to foster.[/QUOTE]

We are for the Quebec golden rescue. But you're too far to help us :( How to do it ; find a rescue that you like and there is usually a form you can fill out on their website to become a foster. It brings you so much ! I just can't stop, it's like a drug ! A pretty good one too ! :thumbs up

TeriM November 30th, 2006 08:19 PM

I know it would be tough to give them up but there always seems to be a new furry face waiting in the wings which much help a lot.

PS - Sorry for the thread-jack.

jesse's mommy November 30th, 2006 08:21 PM

Frenchy, Winston is gorgeous. Are there any leads for him? How is Molly doing?

Frenchy November 30th, 2006 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=jesse's mommy;327351]Frenchy, Winston is gorgeous. Are there any leads for him? How is Molly doing?[/QUOTE]

We had people inquiring for both of them but not serious ones. We currently have 6 goldens up for adoption,will have one more next week. With Christmas coming, they all want to get rid of their dogs before the holidays. And people who would like to adopt want to wait after the holidays, wich is ok with me. It causes less stress for a doggy in a new family while having to deal with all the parties. Molly got spayed today,will pick her tomorrow,everything went fine. :thumbs up So Christmas at my house = 6 goldens (my sister is coming with her 2)

coppperbelle November 30th, 2006 09:13 PM

While every dog I foster is special in its own way there are some that really touch your heart. Winston is one of them. I would have had no trouble continuing to foster him but there is another dog who is in need. He will need to be assessed, neutered and then when he is ready he will be put up for adoption. Watch this site next week for more information about him.
Frenchy, I hope Winston is doing well. He looks like he is panting. He must be so confused again.

Frenchy is right, fostering is like a drug. Last week when I picked up Winston he was laying in a kennel on a cold, cement basement floor. I knew he had bad legs and wasn't 100% sure I would take him because of this. He had trouble getting up and I couldn't leave him there no matter how bad his legs were. All I could think of was getting him home and giving him the TLC he so needed and deserved. That night after he had been bathed, and fed he curled up on a soft bed and went to sleep. It may sound selfish but watching him lay there like that gives me so much satisfaction. If you decide you want to foster contact a local shelter or rescue group. If they are anything like our group they are desperate for more foster homes. The more foster homes we have the more dogs we can help.

Golden Girls November 30th, 2006 09:22 PM

Aww Winston's beautiful ... :fingerscr he finds his 4-ever home soon

Frenchy November 30th, 2006 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=coppperbelle;327383] Last week when I picked up Winston he was laying in a kennel on a cold, cement basement floor. I knew he had bad legs and wasn't 100% sure I would take him because of this. He had trouble getting up and I couldn't leave him there no matter how bad his legs were. All I could think of was getting him home and giving him the TLC he so needed and deserved. [/QUOTE]

And what a wonderful job you did ! I think he is walking fine ! I always let him out (he went like 10 times outside) by the solarium where there's only 3 steps. 2-3 times he decided to come back in by coming up the patio ! Without any struggle ! :thumbs up He barks a big thank you!

Prin December 1st, 2006 12:54 PM

Yeah, I thought about how lucky Frenchy is that she gets to foster the breed she loves (and not some froo froo dogs or something she's not used to, you know?), but I guess now I am too a little bit...

Honestly, I hate giving up the foster at the end and I didn't want to do it again, but then you get one that just needs help.:sad:

coppperbelle December 4th, 2006 08:23 PM

Winston

Winston is back with me. He didn't behave like a gentleman ;) while he was at Frenchy's and she had no choice but to return him to me. He will be neutered tomorrow and x-rayed. Hopefully we will be able to determine the cause of the weakness in his back legs and give him something to make him more comfortable.
Winston is a really quiet boy and would make an ideal companion for an older person or apartment dweller. He doesn't bark when the bell rings and does not require a great deal of exercise.

meb999 December 4th, 2006 09:30 PM

:fingerscr :fingerscr for winston to find a forever home soon :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint: :pawprint:

rainbow December 4th, 2006 11:56 PM

Fingers crossed for Winston. :fingerscr :fingerscr

coppperbelle December 5th, 2006 08:42 PM

Winston

We just got back from the vet. He has been diagnosed with a number of problems including hip dysplasia in his left hip, osteoarthritis in that hip. He also has ACL injuries in both back knees. There is also evidence of osteoarthritis in his knees. The vet says he has had problems all his life but has learned to compensate for them. He has prescribed Metacam with the hopes that it will help him be more comfortable.
My husband is certain that this is why Winston was abandoned and he may be right.
I asked about a prognosis and the vet said he could deteriorate quickly or last another 7 years. Just like any dog we adopt out there can be no guarantees.
Everyone at the vets office fell in love with him. He is such a sweetheart so he has that going for him. For now he will be safe with me until we can find him a forever home.

Frenchy December 5th, 2006 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=coppperbelle;329739]My husband is certain that this is why Winston was abandoned and he may be right.
[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly, I think he's right too :sad: Poor Winston, such a good boy. :angel: Fingers and all paws X here at my house for Winston.:fingerscr

rainbow December 5th, 2006 10:37 PM

Awww.....poor Winston. :sad: I hope he finds the loving forever home he deserves. :fingerscr :fingerscr

coppperbelle December 11th, 2006 03:59 PM

This is Winston

Someone is coming to visit Winston tonight. :fingerscr

jiorji December 11th, 2006 04:01 PM

YAY!! hope this is it for you Winston!!:pawprint:

~michelle~ December 11th, 2006 04:04 PM

good luck winston

rainbow December 11th, 2006 06:27 PM

Fingers crossed for Winston. :fingerscr :fingerscr

coppperbelle December 11th, 2006 09:09 PM

This is Winston

I think they fell in love with him but he does have some health issues so they are going to think about it and let me know tomorrow.
I am just as happy to have him a little bit longer.

Frenchy December 11th, 2006 09:16 PM

:fingerscr I know she really wanted to adopt a male... :fingerscr for Winston,give the sex machine a hug for me.