Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   ivermectin for puppy with mange? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84071)

IzzyBoosMom May 30th, 2013 08:59 AM

ivermectin for puppy with mange?

Hi I have a pit bull puppy (Izzy Boo) who I found as a stray that I took in (& love her to death (: she's a doll!) Anyways when I 1st rescued her I noticed she had small bumps on her face & head area..I went straight to petsmart and bought all kinds of oatmeal & fungi shampoo because I have another dog at home (my 1yr old Aussie) & I didn't want whatever it was on Izzy to get on my other dog! So I bathed her in it about 4 times then noticed it was getting worse & she is now starting to loose hair & her scratching is causing her skin to bleed & make scabs & become red & irritated. I googled some symptoms of what it could be & I have learned that it is possibly mange!! :( so I looked online for some ways to cure it (I know take her to a vet & I plan too) but I found a lot of people were having success with ivermectin after about a month of trearment..I was just looking to see if anyone has ever used this method before & if so how much dosage would I give to a puppy? Thanks!

IzzyBoosMom May 30th, 2013 09:20 AM

I uploaded a pic of my Izzy

Ps I uploaded a profile of my sweet Izzys neck on my profile!!

hazelrunpack May 30th, 2013 11:25 AM

She is a sweetie! :lovestruck:

Honestly, though, I'd get her to the vet and get it diagnosed asap before trying to treat it. Ivermectin is not a benign compound and I wouldn't want to risk it before making sure it was necessary. Even if it [I]is[/I] mange, you need to find out which kind of mange it is, and for that, the vet will need to do a scraping and examine any mites under the microscope.

In addition, determining dosage and treating puppies can be tricky. Best to get veterinary advice [I]before[/I] you start any treatment.

Depending on what she's got, there are different treatment alternatives. We had a dog that came with demodex mange (luckily, she had this type and not the contagious type because we had 5 other dogs at the time :eek:) and we treated her with a topical. Much safer than treating her with ivermectin.

Longblades May 31st, 2013 07:51 AM

Yes, please, please Vet her before trying remedies yourself. You say she is a stray so can you be absolutely, positively certain there is NO collie type of breed in her background? No, you can't because even if she was an F1 cross she could look completely like one breed and not the other. It's important because collie types and mixes may be sensitive to invermectin. Plus in the meantime she could be spreading whatever she has to you and your other dog.

Great you took her in, thank you, poor little thing. Photos? :)