Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   13 year old dog - Very sick (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=54709)

Macrun July 24th, 2008 11:58 AM

13 year old dog - Very sick

We have a lovely 13 year old retreiver mix who when I left for vacation - my husband found her on the floor in vomit unable to move. After a few hours he assisted her in going outside where he could see she had had some kind of seizure and seems partially paralyzed on one side. After two days of barely moving, eating or drinking she was on her way to be put down - I suggested Rymadil and after that she has been able to get up and wobble around. However it is hard for her to eat and drink, she is confused and wobbly and has a lot of blood in her stools. Has anyone experienced this - we feel the next trip to the vet will be the end. Are we prolonging the inevitable - she is a big dog who has lost a lot of weight and seems very old suddenly.

babymomma July 24th, 2008 12:40 PM

sounds like a stroke to me..:shrug:

Luvmypitgirls July 24th, 2008 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=Macrun;627800]We have a lovely 13 year old retreiver mix who when I left for vacation - my husband found her on the floor in vomit unable to move. After a few hours he assisted her in going outside where he could see she had had some kind of seizure and seems partially paralyzed on one side. After two days of barely moving, eating or drinking she was on her way to be put down - I suggested Rymadil and after that she has been able to get up and wobble around. However it is hard for her to eat and drink, she is confused and wobbly and has a lot of blood in her stools. Has anyone experienced this - we feel the next trip to the vet will be the end. Are we prolonging the inevitable - she is a big dog who has lost a lot of weight and seems very old suddenly.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to discuss this with your vet.
My heart goes out to you, I'm sorry you are faced with this decision, it's a hard one I know.
You have to do what you feel is right for her, and if having her pts is what you feel is best, go with your heart. Be there with her, she knows you love her and she loves you.
:2huggers:, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

gilbert johnson July 27th, 2008 09:36 AM

cocker spaniel

i am new to this and i have a question about my dog he is 13 v1/2 yearsold last night he let out a loud moan and was on his side having a bowl movement . he went limp and did not appear to be moving or breathing. my husband picked him up and tossed him a bit and called his name. what ever happened to him he came back from it and appeard to be fine . anybody have a clue what it was .

hazelrunpack July 27th, 2008 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=gilbert johnson;629741]i am new to this and i have a question about my dog he is 13 v1/2 yearsold last night he let out a loud moan and was on his side having a bowl movement . he went limp and did not appear to be moving or breathing. my husband picked him up and tossed him a bit and called his name. what ever happened to him he came back from it and appeard to be fine . anybody have a clue what it was .[/QUOTE]

Whatever it was, Gilbert, your dog needs to see a vet ASAP. It may have been a seizure...might have been a ministroke... At any rate, a vet check is in order!

Good luck with your dog! :goodvibes: