Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Grapes for dogs - Answered by Dr. Guindon (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22967)

heather331 January 13th, 2006 06:00 PM

Grapes for dogs - Answered by Dr. Guindon

last night a grape fell on the floor and dakota got it. she played with it for a while and then ate it. i thought she wouldnt like it but surprisingly she wanted more. my boyfriend gave her more :rolleyes: we dont let her have people food at all....but she seems to really like grapes. is that ok?

Inverness January 13th, 2006 06:41 PM

heather331, grapes are known to lead to acute renal failure in dogs. How many grapes did you feed her ?

[URL="http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/grapes.pdf?docID=189"]http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/grapes.pdf?docID=189[/URL]

the gang January 13th, 2006 07:07 PM

please stay away from grapes!!!!!! not good for doggies.

heather331 January 13th, 2006 10:06 PM

wow! i'm glad i asked then. i thought that grapes were mostly water and that it would be fine. thanks for the information! no more grapes for her! sorry dakota :sorry:

mona_b January 14th, 2006 10:23 PM

The only part of the grape that is toxic is the "seed".

All my dogs have gotten grapes(seedless)as treats.I'm not talking every day and a whole bunch.And I make sure they are washed first.

My first GSD lived to be 13.With absalutely no health issues leading to the grapes.And he started getting them as treats when he was 3 months old.My current GSD is almost 10.He too has been getting them since he was 3 months old.He is in great health except for a bit of arthritis.

Also,I really don't think my breeder/vet. would have given me the ok for them if she/he knew it would cause major health issues.:)

joeysmama January 14th, 2006 10:30 PM

Grapes are one of the foods that do hold a larger concentration of pesticide, as compared to other fruit. I try to buy organic grapes when possible. Still better for you than processed foods.

And I know this is rather unrelated as I'm talking about people rather than pets but I thought I'd throw it out there in case there was anyone else like me, for whom pesticides are a consideration. (I have cancer in my medical history so I exercise a little extra caution in things like this.)

Prin January 15th, 2006 01:27 AM

Is that what the white film is on the skin? Pesticides? I always wondered what it was...:yuck:

Inverness January 15th, 2006 01:44 AM

From everything I have read, there are no studies that have yet established why some dogs would react to grapes while others don't. No study either has identified which part of the grapes (or which chemical on the grapes) would lead to renal failure. Some dogs have eaten grapes in small amounts as treats their whole lives without any problem while others went into kidney failure hours after ingesting a large amount of them for the first time. I guess the safest thing is either not to feed grapes to your dog at all or else give them as an occasional treat and in small quantities.

jesse's mommy January 15th, 2006 09:14 AM

Jesse stole some banana the other day. First she played with it, then she kissed it, then she mushed it around in her mouth, and eventually ate it. She loved it. She also loves apples, but hates the skins. And don't forget about the pickle pictures I posted a couple of months ago. That's her favorite treat!! We haven't had grapes fall on the floor for her to steal yet.

StaceyB January 15th, 2006 09:22 AM

As far as I know they don't yet know how many grapes have to be injested before it causes kidney failure, sorry but I wouldn't take the chance. Would you openly give chocolate knowing what can happen.
It is apple seeds that are not to be eaten and bananas are fine.

SnowDancer January 15th, 2006 11:50 AM

I am pretty familiar with the no-no foods - particularly seeds. But lately it seems that many of the seedless fruit I have purchased is just brimming with seeds. So suggest you take a bite first! Besides more fun that way, dog is sharing your food with you.

raingirl January 15th, 2006 04:42 PM

the white film on fruits and veggies isn't pesticides. It's yeast. It's a natural film of yeasts and spores from the air. I'm sure there are pesticides in the mix, but even non-pesticide fruits/veggies have it.

Cabbage was actually what was used to make bread befoer yeast became something you could buy. If you soak cabbage in water, and use the water to make a bread dough (add flour and wait until it bubbles - takes a few days).

jesse's mommy January 15th, 2006 04:51 PM

Raingirl, you are a plethera of useless knowledge. I thought I knew a lot, but you are a goddess!! :queen: Oh teach me wise one, teach me...

raingirl January 15th, 2006 06:50 PM

hahaha...thanks jesse's mommy.

It's almost like a curse sometimes though. From the time I was a child I always got teased about it. Sometimes I still do. Great for playing trivia though! I just like to memorize stuff and learn new things. If I don't know something, I go and learn it. I have definately been labeled a geek or nerd most of my life. Sucks though, as I wish I knew more people like me. I don't have any "girl geek" friends, only guys...and you can't talk about everything with guys...

jesse's mommy January 15th, 2006 07:43 PM

I'll be your geek buddy! :D

dmc123 January 25th, 2006 06:17 PM

article about pet treats, includes grapes

I thought I had heard grapes were bad also, so I quit giving any to my dogs.

Today, the article on the opening page of this site,
"Dog and cat articles - on Pets.ca

TREATS FOR DOGS -

says grapes are good....??

Quote: "Sweet raw baby carrots, raw broccoli, raw sweet red peppers, [B][U]grapes[/U][/B], pieces of banana, pineapple, pieces of apple or pears, you can experiment and see what you dog likes. They have taste preferences too!"

***POST EDITED - The article in question has been edited*****

any other thoughts??

Diane

raingirl January 25th, 2006 07:35 PM

I have seen avacado in some vegetarian dog foods which is funny because I also read it is toxic. I think some food restrictions need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Prin January 25th, 2006 11:46 PM

We seriously have to find out somehow if it's the seeds. I know with avocados it's the pits that are toxic.... Mixed info everywhere!

mona_b January 26th, 2006 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=Prin]We seriously have to find out somehow if it's the seeds. I know with avocados it's the pits that are toxic.... Mixed info everywhere![/QUOTE]

It was my Vets who were the ones who told me it was the seeds that were toxic in the grapes...As I stated before.All of my dogs where/have been given the seedless grapes(treats) and I have had no health issues in regards to this.My breeder was even giving her dogs seedless grapes.This is why raisens are very dangerous for dogs.The raisens are just the dried grapes,which DO contain the seeds.:) ..Tron is going on 10,and his kidneys are just fine...;)

And as for the avocados,as Prin said,it's the pit that is toxic.

Inverness January 26th, 2006 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=mona_b]It was my Vets who were the ones who told me it was the seeds that were toxic in the grapes...As I stated before.All of my dogs where/have been given the seedless grapes(treats) and I have had no health issues in regards to this.My breeder was even giving her dogs seedless grapes.This is why raisens are very dangerous for dogs.The raisens are just the dried grapes,which DO contain the seeds.:) ..Tron is going on 10,and his kidneys are just fine...;)

And as for the avocados,as Prin said,it's the pit that is toxic.[/QUOTE]

:crazy: Hmmm, tell me, do you often eat the avocado pit (unless you're a dog, of course !) ?... :p

CJ05 January 26th, 2006 06:30 PM

Most spray programs(pesticides) for grapes are usually done well before the grapes are harvested and would not be cause for concern. Most sprays which go on grapes are very low to no toxicity. This is the case for most atlantic canada wine grapes anyways and not too sure about imported table grapes.

Prin January 27th, 2006 02:30 AM

What about mango pits? I know peach pits and cherry pits are bad, but are mangos in the same category? Boo ate an entire mango a couple of years ago and didn't die, but I wonder if it was a fluke. Mango pits are tastier than other fruit pits so doggies are less likely to leave them behind...

petdr September 14th, 2006 05:49 AM

Even though I have never see a case of intoxication, I would suggest avoiding grapes for dogs.

Dr.Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280

_EasyObserver_ July 5th, 2012 04:10 PM

I know this is an older thread, but if I just came across it then there are probably many more that google and come across it as well. A few years back I had 2 dogs poisoned by someone, one of the first questions the SPCA asked me was if my dogs had been given, or had access to, grapes. This was before the toxicology report was done on them, where we later found out they were given a large dose of Lorazepam. Anyway, it was the first time that I had been informed that grapes and raisins (which contain the seeds), or rather, the grape seeds were poisonous to dogs. As another note..it's not just the avocado seed that is poisonous to a dog, the avocado including any part of the plant can be poisonous. It contains Persin and is in the leaves, seed, and bark, as well as in the fruit.

MaxaLisa July 6th, 2012 10:16 PM

Re: avocado, in addition to the plant, I was under the impression that it was the dark fleshy part between what we usually eat and the skin. Avoderm puts avocado in their food, so I would love to hear their response to this.

As for the grapes an raisins, just say no and don't risk, since it seems to be random. I've seen really sick dogs on the forums from this.

growler~GateKeeper July 7th, 2012 11:02 PM

In regards to grapes & raisins - they are toxic to the kidneys of dogs. Even if a dog doesn't get sick right away from eating them, like a classic case of poisoning, the damage will show down the road in the impairment of kidney function in later years.