Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   The kangaroos had company today. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79424)

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 10:36 AM

The kangaroos had company today.

3 Attachment(s)
A friend and I visited Halls Gap today and I showed her where the kangaroos hang out, only they had company this time, not one but 5 deer, although I only took photo's of the closest one. The emus were missing, we only saw one and it was frightened off by a deer. There is no shooting as this is a National Park so deer and 'roos are quite relaxed with people, I could almost get close enough to pat some of the kangaroos.

Melinda November 21st, 2011 10:38 AM

oh wow...what gorgeous pictures, I can't imagine being somewhere and seeing roo's running wild.

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 10:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Lovely peaceful scenes, aren't they?

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 10:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's a mum with her young Joey in the pouch, and a not so young baby.

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 11:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
While the first one here lurked in the undergrowth, the second was certainly not camera shy. :) The third photo is(we think) a wallaby, not a kangaroo. And that's all, folks. It's extremely late and I'll post some scenic shots tomorrow(later today I mean). :D

Melinda, I have kangaroos over the road in the State Forest and they often graze in the water reserve behind us or in our back paddock. Only trouble is that local hoons have shot at them so the poor things are very scared. Since I made it known that I reported them to the Police, funny thing, they haven't been on another shooting rampage. :evil: Wish we could give the 'roos a rifle. :D

Melinda November 21st, 2011 11:29 AM

oh wow.....and the babies...awwwww *L* man are you lucky

Melinda November 21st, 2011 11:30 AM

I'm glad you stood up for them and reported the riff raff..geeesh, do they eat kangaroo meat??

CsqU4r3d November 21st, 2011 12:35 PM

Great shots....I have never seen so many Roos in one spot!! I hope you don't mind Goldfields, but I posted one pic on my facebook page...my nephew's girlfriend is from Australia, they were over there for a visit a few months back and he fell in love with the place. He now has an Aussie girlfriend, a didgeridoo and a bearded dragon named Reggie!! Talk about Aussie immersion:thumbs up:crazy::flirt:

Longblades November 21st, 2011 03:37 PM

Oh my. Isn't funny how much more meaningful a photo is when is by someone you know? I've seen Roo pictures before of course but because these come from you somehow it seems that I get a better, more appreciative look at them. Thank you.

chico2 November 21st, 2011 05:20 PM

GF,amazing pics:thumbs up
I thought it was open season to kill roos all year around??

Dog Dancer November 21st, 2011 05:53 PM

Holy smokes that's a lotta roo's! What great shots GF. I guess the only thing we have locally here in that quantity is Canada Geese :laughing:

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 08:00 PM

It was good timing, DD, the roos would be best seen out grazing at dawn or dusk and by the time we got there it was late afternoon, just after 5pm. I would like Canada Geese here. The only goose I've seen was a Magpie Goose, possibly heading for a breeding colony down south.
Chico2, I think even farmers have to have a permit to shoot roos, and then it'd be x number of them. No shooting in a National Park unless they decide the deer need to be culled perhaps. Due to catastrophic bushfires I doubt if the roo numbers ever get too high.
Longblades, thanks, that's nice. Glad you all enjoy the photo's.
CsqU4r3d, you are welcome to use any of my photo's. Do you think if your nephew married his girlfriend later that he would shift down under? I don't even have a didgeridoo or bearded dragon. :)
Melinda, I'm sure the hoons here don't eat the roo meat, they'd take it for their dogs.

hazelrunpack November 21st, 2011 08:37 PM

Cool shots, GF!!

And I think the deer in your first set is preggers...must be just about time for them to drop their fawns, isn't it? Do the roos give birth seasonally, as well?

Goldfields November 21st, 2011 10:54 PM

Ooh, you could be right about that deer, Hazel. I'll bet she won't be so relaxed once she has a fawn to guard. There were a lot of young kangaroos still in pouches so possibly that's a Spring thing too. The Grampians are really rugged away from this grass in the valley so chances are the deer will stick to the mountains while the fawns are young, to protect them. I'll show you in my other thread where the town and valley is.

CsqU4r3d November 23rd, 2011 12:56 PM

Gold fields, I am pretty sure he would love to go back and live down under, however I am not too sure his Mom would be on board with that idea! LOL... Chum was so not impressed with the didgeridoo, he kept circling it and barking at it as my nephew played it, and finally he sat down in front of it and started howling along :crazy::laughing: it was priceless

Goldfields November 23rd, 2011 07:44 PM

ROFL@ my mental image of Chum . Too funny. I love the sound myself but it would certainly sound strange to a dog. :)
Is your nephew's girlfriend already in Canada? If so, if it's serious then a sad situation in a way for whoever leaves their country, but good luck to them. I don't know if I could have done it. Oh, of course I could, what did our ancestors do ? And they came here when it was really inhospitable.

Dee-O-Gee November 23rd, 2011 10:24 PM

What kewl pictures GF! :thumbs up

I don't think we could gather that many squirrels all together here on a good day! :laughing: :laughing:

Goldfields November 24th, 2011 01:38 AM

Dee-O-Gee, there might be a lot more kangaroos down there. Once on the way to a dog show, early one morning, we passed through an open forest and I honestly stopped counting roos when I reached 150. I think because of the 'Shoo roos' on the front of our vehicle, they were all startled into flight, but it panicked them so they were jumping every which way. I was glad when one of the shoo roos fell off, didn't seem to have the same effect after that.. They're a little gadget that emits a noise the 'roos don't like.

Really don't know what would attract that number of squirrels. LOL.

patchdog December 22nd, 2012 10:45 AM

Awe I just love Kangaroos. And that is funny that deer hang out with them. They must be good company lol.

angeldogs December 22nd, 2012 11:23 AM

Your so lucky to be able to see these animals in the wild. loved the pics.

Goldfields December 22nd, 2012 09:09 PM

Glad you enjoyed them, angeldogs. My friend and I have been talking about another trip down there but usually it's safer to stay out of that area in bushfire weather. There is some magnificent country this side of the mountains, if we travel in her vehicle I'm going to annoy her and insist we stop to take photo's.

angeldogs December 22nd, 2012 10:05 PM

If you do i will be looking forward to the pic.

Goldfields December 22nd, 2012 11:12 PM

After Xmas for sure, it has to suit her as she's a bit at the beck and call of her husband, who does contract harvesting. I could go alone, sooner, but it's more fun with company.

angeldogs December 23rd, 2012 10:10 AM

Oh yes adventures are always better with a good friend. I worked with a guy for a few years that moved here from down there.he always went back for visits said in was beautiful. After his mother pasted he sold everthing and moved back there. Not sure what part thou.