Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Pet Stores...a bit of a rant (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42116)

whitbit317 July 1st, 2007 01:29 PM

Pet Stores...a bit of a rant

I for one am tired of seeing birds in terrible condition being sold in pet stores. Last year at Thanksgiving my dad bought my mom a quaker for a Christmas gift, the little guy died on New Years day. The pet store had sold us a sick bird and would do nothing about it because we had had him for more than two weeks. We had him checked by a vet who said he was indeed sick when they sold him to us, and even when the vet contacted the pet store nothing would be done.
Today I went into a pet store that is notorious for having sick animals, and saw a large cage that usually holds iguanas or other large lizzards with probably 10 quakers and one conure. The sign said they were born in May. The little guys looked terrible! There were no feathers around their necks, I'm assuming that they picked at themselves from the stress. One bird was already looking like he was about to die. As far as their food-they had one small bowl of water and a larger dish with 90% millet and just a little seed. They wanted people to pay $150 for these birds that are probably diseased and definately not in good health. This just drives me crazy how anyone could do run a business this way!:mad:

clm July 1st, 2007 05:28 PM

Just like puppies and kittens, people have to learn that you're better off buying a bird from an aviary. I would never consider buying any animal from a pet store. You can go directly to a breeder or rescue for any domestic pet or bird. Better for you and better for the animals.

Cindy

badger July 1st, 2007 06:06 PM

Whitbit, you should report that store. What you are describing is abuse and I don't know any jurisdiction where animal control officers would not at least pay a surprise visit if they knew what was going on. we should expose these bas***** any way we can.

whitbit317 July 1st, 2007 06:33 PM

CLM-After the quaker incident we will never shop for animals at a pet store again. I got both my cockatiels from petstores and they have been great birds, I got lucky.

Badger-I sent an e-request type thing to the SPCA today as I could not find a phone number anywhere for the local animal control. I'm going to try again tomorrow with animal control because being Sunday I think they are closed. The SPCA said they would investigate as well. This pet store used to have a lot of birds in very bad condition but someone must have called about them before because a lot of the birds were removed and the few that they've had since then have been in better condition. The quakers I saw today though looked terrible. I'm hoping that someone will investigate soon because I know one of the birds is already on the decline and probably won't make it.

badger July 1st, 2007 08:33 PM

I just hope animal control doesn't announce their visit! And if the store has already been cited, they better watch out. Thanks for persisting.

whitbit317 July 3rd, 2007 10:07 PM

Still no word from the SPCA. I tried to contact animal control yesterday with no luck, then tried ACS(Animal Care Service) with even less luck. Really frustrating how things work in this city. I'm thinking about paying the store another visit tommorrow, but being July 4th they may not be open. I have a feeling they will be though, if they are and the birds still look bad I think I might say something to them myself. I'm really hoping things look better if they're open, but I'm really doubting it will be any better. I have a feeling the little one that looked so bad is already dead. :sad:

glitterless August 10th, 2007 04:03 AM

How awful :sad:

My mom used to raise cockatiels. I remember one year for Christmas, my dad brought home a gorgeous lutino who had been a prisoner in Woolco's (remember that store???) pet dept. I forget this guy's original name, but he ended up being known as "Killer" because he bit and drew blood often! The poor bird just didn't have any social skills and had never really been handled. He mellowed out a little, but I think life in the store was cruel to him.

I guess I'm a little bit late responding to this... did you ever hear back from the SPCA?