Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Special Needs cats overlooked (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41317)

JAB June 7th, 2007 09:42 PM

Special Needs cats overlooked

2 Attachment(s)
It is so sad that our special needs cats get overlooked. Just because they are preceived as being diffrent. I guess that is why we descrimiate against the handicap. If we can't be tolerant of special needs cats how can we be expected to find a spot in our hearts for the cats. Is there anyone out there is is also special and is willing to give these two cats a special place in their heart. They have tons of love and affection for such a person.

Both cat have been tested for FIV but they are both incredible healthy. Just because they have the virus does not mean the are sick.

Brownie has been posted before. She is a beautiful Tortie such a loving cat. So calm, purrs up a sorm loves people, other cats and cuddles. She has found a new friend Bouncer. He is a big Tempting Tabby so friendly with any one who comes into the house and loves to be the center of attention. His moto is pet me, love me, I'm yours. It is amazing that when these two were first intoduced they took to each other immediately. Even though they are close they do not have to go together.

mummummum June 7th, 2007 10:04 PM

So true ~ they are a "hard sell". I guess just like people adopting human children they want "perfection" and no "costs and problems down the road". What they don't seem to realize is that there are no guarantees their "perfect adoptee" may well develop the very same concerns or worse than the animals they overlooked.

Good luck and keep bumping up the thread if you notice it's getting buried.

erykah1310 June 7th, 2007 10:30 PM

Would other cats be indanger? Should they go to a one cat home?

hazelrunpack June 7th, 2007 10:44 PM

[QUOTE=erykah1310;437056]Would other cats be indanger? Should they go to a one cat home?[/QUOTE]

I have a friend in the Cities with an FIV+ cat. She tells me that if she took in another cat, it would have to also be FIV+. FIV is quite contagious, as I understand it.

So these kitties would have to be either only kitties, or adopted together, in an otherwise catfree house. (Is that correct, JAB?)

[SIZE="1"]By the bye--I asked my friend if she'd be interested in a companion for her kitty, but her cat isn't very social...drat! *snaps fingers* It seemed like such a good solution! :frustrated: [/SIZE]

CyberKitten June 8th, 2007 01:47 PM

FIV cats do have to live with other FIV cats, absolutely!!! It's nice these guys have each other and I hope someone adopts them!! I have a special needs kitty (not FIV though) and he is so wonderful - I cannot imagine why anyone would not adopt a special needs kitty!! And FIV cats can live long lives - they just need to be in the house (where cats should be anyway!!) and have lots of toys and a few extra vet visits now and then. There is a wonderful diary (The Diary of the Mad Kitten - silliconhell.com I think is the domain of his humans. It's very cute!) by a kitty with Fel.

Frenchy June 8th, 2007 08:00 PM

I hope they get adopted together :fingerscr

rainbow June 9th, 2007 11:54 PM

Yes, that sure would be nice. :fingerscr :goodvibes: