Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   UTI in a male cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84794)

friskey099 November 13th, 2013 02:40 PM

UTI in a male cat

Hi Everyone, I THINK my male cat might have a UTI. Mostly because he has started peeing in the bathroom sink all the time and hardly anything coming out but this is a weird cat so he might just be peeing in the sink for fun lol.

I called the vet and we do have an appointment for tonight :D BUT I know he is going to give me many options to pick from etc. and I like to research first so if anyone can give me a few answers that would be great.

I want to know which is the BEST method to check for a UTI, blood test, urine test, xrays? And how much does each one cost? Are there pros and cons to the different tests?

This way I will know a bit of info and know how much I will be spending :) Thanks.

sugarcatmom November 13th, 2013 03:18 PM

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062920]Hi Everyone, I THINK my male cat might have a UTI. [/quote]

How old is your kitty, and does he have any other health issues? It's actually very rare for a cat under 10 yrs to have a true urinary tract [I]infection[/I], but urinary tract [I]inflammation[/I] on the other hand, is quite common, especially for cats that eat mostly kibble.

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062920] Mostly because he has started peeing in the bathroom sink all the time and hardly anything coming out but this is a weird cat so he might just be peeing in the sink for fun lol.[/quote]

Not likely for fun, probably more likely 'cause urinating is painful and he's associating the litter box with pain, so he goes elsewhere. How long has he been doing this? Is he also still using the litter box at all? Good thing you have a vet appt today because it's possible his urethra is blocked or inflamed.

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062920]
I want to know which is the BEST method to check for a UTI, [/quote]

At the very least, a urinalysis is required, but if you can spend a few more bucks, sending the urine out for a culture and sensitivity test (takes 72 hrs) is the best way to know for sure if there are bacteria present. Blood tests probably aren't necessary at this point unless he's had this issue for a while and/or hasn't had blood work done in the last few years.

In the meantime, here is some really good info for you on urinary tract issues in cats: [url]http://catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth[/url]

friskey099 November 13th, 2013 03:27 PM

He was adopted so we are guessing he is between 2 - 3 years old. That makes me feel a little better that he may not have a UTI. He eats more wet food then kibble as I read somewhere that was better for him.

We actually have two cats so we can't 100% be certain if he is using the litter box but he still does go into the litter box and digs in the litter, not sure if he is using it though.

Any idea how much all that would cost?

Do you think he might have something else? Diabetes maybe? All my info which led me to a UTI was from google so I could be completely wrong.

sugarcatmom November 13th, 2013 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062924]He was adopted so we are guessing he is between 2 - 3 years old. That makes me feel a little better that he may not have a UTI. [/quote]

He is at a prime age for urinary tract issues though (often collectively referred to as Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease - aka FLUTD), just probably not an actual bacterial infection, and those can still be very serious. Many male cats die every year from a blocked urethra - so it's great that you're getting him looked at.

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062924]He eats more wet food then kibble as I read somewhere that was better for him.[/quote]

:thumbs up Depending on what the lab work shows, you may want to consider ditching the dry altogether.

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062924]We actually have two cats so we can't 100% be certain if he is using the litter box but he still does go into the litter box and digs in the litter, not sure if he is using it though.[/quote]

If he's doing that several times within a short period, he may be having trouble peeing. Does he lick his genitals a lot?

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062924]Any idea how much all that would cost?[/quote]

Can vary a lot between vet clinics so I can't say for sure. A basic exam and urinalysis shouldn't break the bank though. Don't let the vet talk you into antibiotics without knowing for sure whether there actually is an infection. Many just automatically dispense them whenever there's a urinary tract issue, when most of the time they're completely useless (and may eventually contribute to an increase in antibiotic-resistent bacteria). A better protocol would be to try pain meds (just not Metacam!) and/or urinary antispasmodics. Adding extra water to wet food can also help prevent future incidents.

[QUOTE=friskey099;1062924]Do you think he might have something else? Diabetes maybe? [/QUOTE]

Diabetes isn't very common in young cats, and you'd probably notice a considerable increase in the amount that he drinks, eats and pees. You could always ask the vet to check his urine for glucose (might be part of a regular urinalysis anyway), but I think it's much more likely to be a crystal or inflammation issue.

Good luck! Let us know what the vet says.....

Barkingdog November 13th, 2013 05:43 PM

Your cat could have cats crystals in his urine . My dog had this and he could not pee he was peeing blood . I had to stop feeing him dried food as it had yeast in it and that can cause crystals . My dog had no x rays taken , his urine was tested and he was given some meds . I can't remember what kinds. I hope your cat will feel better fast.