Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Dumbo Rats (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63985)

hunnybunny July 9th, 2009 08:49 AM

Dumbo Rats

Has anyone got one ? my mum who has now lost her two rats wants to get one or two of these furries.
I think they are the same as fancy rats but with dif shaped ears, just wondered if they are the same to care for and are they best on their own or in pairs ??

Melinda July 9th, 2009 09:00 AM

if its to be a pet (out of cage etc) they say they are best as singles, if its to be kept mostly in its cage then a pair of males are best. My daughter just rescued a hairless female that was being beaten up by the cage mates, shes blind in one eye and was on its way to be snake feed, they were being bred for this reason, some snakes can't take the hair.....geeeesh ...anyways, we're in the process of taming her now, rats are the smartest pets!!!

Marty11 July 9th, 2009 10:12 AM

My daughter has a dumbo male. Same as the other rats, just a little different set ears. I find a male way friendlier. I prefer pairs cause they are very social, and I feel that they are not out of their cages enough to live alone. I do think that males mark their territory like dogs and this one pees alot on us. Never experienced this with females. Really nice personallity though. If you get two males get a large cage cause they are much bigger and and more odour.

cell July 9th, 2009 11:14 AM

Dumbo rats are to be raised the same as normal fancy rats. Dumbo's deffinetly come across a little slower but are more calm and affectionate then standard eared I have found. Rats come in many, many coat colour variations and coat types such as standard, satin, rex, double rex and hairless. Rats even come in tailless (which is rare).
They need to have rat friends, no matter what anyone tells you, they are very very social and should be kept in pairs or more.
Male rats are larger and often calmer, they have a more musky smell and tend to mark more. Male rats can be nutered and housed with females, which also reduces their likelyhood of sexual cancers and helps with odor and marking.
Females do not have much odor, mark less and are very energetic and acrobatic.
I have always had female rats and have always kept them in groups.
rats need to have an appropriate sized cage as they need room to move around well, and love to have boxes, bedding, hammocks and fun treats and chewies. Out of cage time in a secure area, and time spent with their human friends is always a cause for excitement. Be aware that they will chew things if they get bored while outside of their cages.

For more rate information there are several online websites providing lots of information.