Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   My beautiful Clematis (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77384)

Sylvie June 11th, 2011 01:25 PM

My beautiful Clematis

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, I just had to share the pretty blooms.

hazelrunpack June 11th, 2011 01:39 PM

Holy catz! I wish I knew everyone's clematis secrets!!! I have had zero luck with them to date. That's absolutely gorgeous, Sylvie!! :flirt:

chico2 June 11th, 2011 04:12 PM

Sylvie,that is just beautiful:thumbs up One of mine died this year:(
It's unfortunate they don't bloom too long,but when they do,they are gorgeous.

Hazel,it is not difficult to grow a Clematis,if I can do it so can you.

hazelrunpack June 11th, 2011 04:25 PM

I've tried 4 or 5 times...then I started feeling guilty about the carnage and stopped trying. :o Seriously...I've never had one bloom. Or even get higher than about 8 inches. :rolleyes: There are some things that just don't mix well: oil and water, drinking and driving, hazel and clematis... :laughing:

breeze June 11th, 2011 05:08 PM

they are beautiful,

I just wish that it wasn't a vine, wonder if they could train it to become a bush??

Dee-O-Gee June 11th, 2011 10:04 PM

I'm jealous! :frustrated: I tried to grow White Henry's years past without success. :wall:

That sure is one beautiful clematis Sylvie and a beautiful picture to showcase.

Goldfields June 12th, 2011 03:45 AM

Superb, Sylvie! What an eye catching colour it is. Well done!

Winston June 12th, 2011 08:28 AM

Awesome clematis Sylvie! Love that color!

Breeze you can train the clematis to go on anything. As the plant grows you place it where you want on a trellis or fence . You can place them on a pergola or arbor...:thumbs up

otter June 12th, 2011 10:22 AM

OOOooooo Awwwwwww Beautiful!!:thumbs up
do they smell nice too?
I'm with Hazel, never had any luck with Clematis.. never a flower, never returned the next year. :( But after seeing your beauty I might be willing to try again :D

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 01:13 PM

For those of you who've managed to get them to grow so big and beautiful, can you offer any hints as to what they like? I've tried a trellis up against a garage, not under the eave, with maybe 5 hours of morning sun; and on a trellis mid-garden in full sun. Maybe they need more shade or less water? Or the soil was too rich?

Winston June 12th, 2011 01:41 PM

Hi Hazel

No real tricks that I know of. Mine are in pretty much full sun and are happy.

Some need to be cut back each year and some dont. I dont cut mine.

The only thing someone told me to do for sure was to ensure that the base was covered with mulch or something??

They are on sale here right now for 12.00 so I bought another one today! I love them.....this one is going to be planted at the front of my front porch so it can grow up around the porch.

hazelrunpack June 12th, 2011 01:57 PM

Hmmm... I never used mulch. At what point in the season is it too late to plant one? I might get into town again next week, but if I find one, I might not get it planted till almost July. :o Would that be too late?

Winston June 12th, 2011 03:14 PM

I would plant one right up until the end of here. I would say if you find a good price on one go fo it! Do you have a trellis?

I just finished planting the one I bought today out front at the base of the railing to the front porch. I am hoping it will climb all around the railing! :thumbs up

Sylvie June 13th, 2011 09:43 PM

Hazel I had another one just like that one and it grew for about 4 years and then it just died. I have planted about 3 more in its place and 2 had died and the other one is just starting to grow. It is not as big as the one I posted but when it blooms I will post a picture.

I don't know what Winston does but every plant she has grows big. :laughing::laughing:

I fertilize in the Spring, August and Fall. Don't know where I heard that from but it seems to work. And yes they like their roots protected. I planted Chicks and hens around mine. I will have to see if they are still there.

hazelrunpack June 13th, 2011 10:45 PM

I think Winston has the magic touch! :D

So you can use other plants instead of mulch to protect the roots? That might be a better option than mulch if it's in a place that the dogs might be able to get to. The little boogers will eat mulch if they have the opportunity. :frustrated:

One more question: Does anyone know if deer will eat clematis? If they're deer resistant, I have a good place for one outside the dog yards. If deer chew on them as badly as they go after my hostas and phlox, I've got another place that might work in the shed garden. :thumbs up