Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Growth on neck its itchy??? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=70047)

grumpybear0810 May 6th, 2010 01:49 PM

Growth on neck its itchy???

I have a male 9 month old kitten that we rescued from my boyfriends work. When we brought him home I noticed on the side of him head/neck he had a small bump over the past two months it has grown. When I first took him to the vet he said not to worry about it could just be a small growth wait and see. It has never seemed to bother him before but the past few days he has been itching at it.
Facts to know
*He is not nuetered
* up to date on his shots
*does not have a fever
*eats fine
*feels slighlty liquidy when pressed on
*shows no discomfort besides the scratching
*had clamydia last month both him and other cat were treated and recovered fine
If anyone knows what this may be or has an information they think will be helpful please reply!

Winston May 6th, 2010 03:09 PM

Welcome ...Honestly your best to just head back to the vet for a quick look at it again since your kitty is still bothered by it. Did the vet indicate if perhaps it was from the vaccinations received?

I noticed that you indicated your kitty is not fixed?? given the age of your kitty it would be a really good idea to consider getting that done soon before the kitten matures. Is your cat an indoor cat?

Just a heads up that this is a very PRO spay & neuter forum as I am sure you read when you signed up! :thumbs up Lots of helpful info here and a TON of wonderful people so hopefully youll stick around!

catlover2 May 7th, 2010 12:16 PM

Squishy, growing and itchy lump? yes a trip back to the vet that saw it first time is in order as it could be something more serious than just a cyst.

At the same time [U]please get him neutered [/U]by your vet (or at a spay/neuter clinic if there's one in your area). At same time vet may do needle biopsy on the lump. At 9 mos. your boy is sexually mature and you sure don't want him "marking his territory"=spraying urine (inside your house/apt.) like a lot of males have the urge to do, as you won't want your place reeking with a pungent stink, and wondering where it is. All the best! :cat:

Dog Dancer May 7th, 2010 12:27 PM

I agree that a trip back to the vet is in order. If you schedule to have your kitty neutered you could just have the lump removed at the same time while he is sedated for the neutering. He will be a much calmer boy if this is done.

grumpybear0810 May 8th, 2010 09:27 PM

I was planning on taking him in to get it looked at but before I did was just wondering if some one had anything useful to throw out there.

I will let you all know when I get it looked at exactly what it is.

No the lump was not from him getting shots.