Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   vomiting after eating, yet okay before and after (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=82688)

mellian November 4th, 2012 02:10 AM

vomiting after eating, yet okay before and after

My cat Simba, who as returned to my life after being found on the street in a town hour or so from the city, has been vomiting one to two hours after each time he eats. He looks and is okay before and after, even wanting to eat and drink after vomiting.

Been like this for last few days, and base on what I read and understand, nothing serious at present yet may have worms or parasites, hence was suggested vermifuge/wormer?. Reading up on alternatives I can do, while looking into a good yet affordable vets.

At present time, what left of my budget already spent on getting the essentials for Simba, and force to wait another week and half before I can pay for him to get checked out at a vet. Do not like the idea of Simba requiring to stay in that state for that long, so any suggestions to help him in the meantime would be great, and experiences with alternate home solutions.

Hazmat November 4th, 2012 08:59 AM

He may just be eating too much at one time. Try limiting his food. Give him a little, wait a while then give him more.

mellian November 4th, 2012 01:08 PM

That was my first thought after the first day, but even small portions every 3-4 hours, and small portion after 10-12 hours, vomits happen a hour or so afterwards.

Late last night, I mixed in half a clove of garlic with small portion of wet food, and so far no vomiting. Just gave him his third dry food portion and so far so good. I will continue with small portions for next three days, with some garlic once a day for a week.

Barkingdog November 4th, 2012 03:36 PM

[url]http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/ask-the-expert/ask-the-expert-pet-nutrition/how-bad-is-garlic-for-cats.aspx[/url]

You made sure your is drinking enough water if it is vomiting a lot. I been told by a few vets not to feed a pet food for the rest of the day if it vomit up it food and to feed it a small amount of food the next . If the pet keep the food down for a few hours it can have a little more. If the pet is vomiting for a few days is really should be taken to the vet .

mellian November 4th, 2012 11:09 PM

Okay, garlic bad. Also feeling like a dumbass and worse as may have unintentionally made things worse for Simba. :/ Vet for sure, as soon as I can pay for it, and will be checking one or two tomorrow for options.

mellian November 9th, 2012 05:11 PM

I managed to bring Simba to the vet monday, where they gave iv fluid as he was for sure dehydrated. Since been feeding him the gastro intestine specific wet food which helped, with layer of water to make sure he hydrates. Today, with the sample I dropped earlier today, they determined that he has chronic renal insufficiency.

hazelrunpack November 9th, 2012 07:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Simba's renal insufficiency. :grouphug: Is he feeling better now that he's getting hydrated?

mellian November 10th, 2012 01:42 PM

Vomiting did subside, but back to few times a day. Sticking with small portions of the gastro food with water.

I have until tuesday or wednesday to decide what do in terms of treatments, as I am not in the realistic position of being to cover all that needs to be done. At present, have lots of free time, but in near future, will start not being home much again. At the moment, with the mindset to do what is possible within my means to help alleviate vomiting and other coming symptoms, so as some time of being himself before it gets worse. Also self-debating whether to wait until it gets worse, or when he is most happy possible. Really not the sort of thing I would like to decide or think about. My mother offered to handle it with her husband when the time comes.

Barkingdog November 10th, 2012 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=mellian;1049156]Vomiting did subside, but back to few times a day. Sticking with small portions of the gastro food with water.

I have until tuesday or wednesday to decide what do in terms of treatments, as I am not in the realistic position of being to cover all that needs to be done. At present, have lots of free time, but in near future, will start not being home much again. At the moment, with the mindset to do what is possible within my means to help alleviate vomiting and other coming symptoms, so as some time of being himself before it gets worse. Also self-debating whether to wait until it gets worse, or when he is most happy possible. Really not the sort of thing I would like to decide or think about. My mother offered to handle it with her husband when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

I would not wait until your cat get worst that would made it harder for him to recover. His immune system could get weaker and become more susceptible to infections or colds.

growler~GateKeeper November 10th, 2012 11:29 PM

Try elevating the food & water dishes up off the floor about 2-6 inches whatever is comfortable for your cat. This will keep his head above his stomach & the excess stomach acid he is producing from making it's way back up the throat when he's bending down to eat. Use a planter stand, phone book, upsidedown low box, pet supply stores carry elevated dish holders too.

Have a read through this thread or even just the summary post for now:
[URL="http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017"]Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat[/URL]

If you have any questions feel free to ask :goodvibes:

mellian November 12th, 2012 11:05 PM

Thank you! I saw the thread when searching. I guessing he is early stage, as actual symptom is vomiting, and hyper active self beyond that, along with wanting food all the time thanks to small portions.

When I say waiting until gets worse, is moral question of when to put him down, which i hate thinking about. Money is a problem, and will not have enough to cover the follow up tests and treatment. Been suggested a specific animal rescue that focus on finding new homes for cats/dogs with special medical needs, which supposedly may cover the costs. That is the case, he has a better chance with them than with myself. :/

Will go see the vet again tomorrow or wednesday, so will see.

growler~GateKeeper November 14th, 2012 01:56 AM

The hyperactivity and always wanting food could also suggest HyperThyroidism, have the vet run a full blood panel with T4 add-on.

HyperT and CRF sometimes happen at the same time and when the HyperT is controlled you have a better idea of what state the kidneys are in.

Have a good talk with the vet about treatment options, with tips learned over the years things don't have to be as expensive as first thought.

For example buying sub-q fluids and supplies from licenced pharmaceutical supply companies or your local pharmacy is significantly cheaper than buying the same supplies from the vet

Learning how to give sub-q fluid injections at home is far cheaper than going to the vet to have them administer it. Depending on the fluid requirements a sub-q fluid schedule at home is cheaper than IV fluids at the vet.

:goodvibes: