Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   In order to avoid confusion and hurt feelings....... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73300)

14+kitties October 25th, 2010 06:37 PM

In order to avoid confusion and hurt feelings.......

......may I offer a suggestion?

When posting a question concerning a potentially fatal outcome could you please.... make sure you give all pertinent information. Age of pet; spayed/neutered; health records; whether said pet has been to a vet lately; what the outcome of that visit was; what was done at that appt re bloodwork, urinalysis, fecals; what the outward signs are with the pet; what you suspect; what led up to you posting about it; what behaviours the pet is displaying; and everything else you feel may be pertinent to your question being answered correctly and politely.
Oh yes, let's add whether there are other pets in the home, what ages they are, s/n, etc, etc. Even knowing such info as whether this is your first pet is helpful. It lets us know if we are dealing with a member who is a newbie to pet ownership or not.
When you make a new thread and make such comments as: my cat is peeing inappropriately, my dog is attacking my cat, my cat/dog is dying and I have no money for the vet, and end these threads with comments about taking said pet to a shelter or euthanizing said pet because you see no other way of getting out of this situation you are in please know that we may take things as we read them and respond accordingly. I am [I]not[/I] saying we will respond negatively. I am saying we will look at the words that have been typed and will give our information based on those words.

Rgeurts October 25th, 2010 07:55 PM

:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

And in my case, nothing will be said because it most likely would not be polite :(

marko October 25th, 2010 10:15 PM

These are hard threads for sure. I agree that the more information that's given at the outset the better. Basically members share their experiences here and offer advice based on that experience. Of course the advice given will change as more facts become available and it makes the most sense to provide as many facts as possible, especially most of the basics mentioned above.

We appreciate members not posting when they lose their cool, so thx for posting that comment Rgeurts.

And it's a sad truth but we can't help all pets and all pet owners especially when it comes to emergency vet care. These types of threads are always closed. As always though Mods and I can add info to a closed thread if it can help the OP so feel free to PM us.

Thx!
marko

14+kitties October 26th, 2010 09:08 AM

It is sometimes so difficult to try to answer/help some posters. They come back with answers that are so completely off what they originally started with I have to reread from the very start to make sure they actually said what I thought I had read. :confused: I know other members feel the same. And that is what starts the anger and confusion.
It's been said time and time again here. This is the internet. We read the words written and base our answers on that.
Thanks Marko for allowing this thread to remain.:thumbs up

joeysmama October 26th, 2010 06:10 PM

Well said. Maybe this should be a sticky??

May I add my two cents? Sometimes we read about an animal who is having a problem and we get an update or two but then the OP disappears and we're left wondering what happened. It would be nice if we had an update on whether or not the poster found an apartment that allows pets, if treatment worked, or if they decided to adopt from a shelter, to spay or neuter..whatever the situation. We're out here hoping for the best !

mastifflover October 26th, 2010 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;961682]:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

And in my case, nothing will be said because it most likely would not be polite :([/QUOTE]

I hear you sometimes my filter does not work between what I think and what I say

luckypenny October 26th, 2010 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=joeysmama;962134] It would be nice if we had an update on whether or not the poster found an apartment that allows pets, if treatment worked, or if they decided to adopt from a shelter, to spay or neuter..whatever the situation. We're out here hoping for the best ![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be ideal? I, too, would love to see more updates...I often wonder about certain posters and worry about their pets. I'd love to hear happy endings most of all though.

14+kitties October 27th, 2010 10:30 AM

That would be a great idea but the thing is with forums not many people stick around. They come in, ask their question(s), get the answer they want (or not), and then disappear never to be heard from again unless the same problem pops up. :shrug:

14+kitties October 27th, 2010 11:56 AM

But..... [I]this[/I] thread is not about [I]that. That[/I] has been hashed out again and again and again.
This thread is merely asking that when you have a question about a sick pet that you give all information needed. This is [I]not even about newbies[/I]. It could be a long time poster who just wants to get the problem out there in the quickest way possible and forgets to add some information that may help. Maybe they think they've added all the pertinent info but there is always something left out. That's all I would like to see. All the info out front and ready so we know what it is we are dealing with.

14+kitties October 27th, 2010 12:18 PM

I just did not want to rehash things again that have caused so many problems for so many members. :shrug: There have been enough hurt feelings on this site lately. Now is the time to try healing and to try to win back some of those valued members we have lost. :( I for one miss them.
There was no need to delete your posts Winston. The happy endings is a great idea. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'll shut up now and you guys can do what you want.

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 12:18 PM

I still think a few questions at the head of a thread that doesn't give much information will go a long way to clearing up any misconceptions before things get too ugly. Most people will not include all the info that will be useful--some of them might not even recognize information as important to the problem. So often the first post I'll make in such a thread is a request for information. No need to go in on the offensive under assumptions that turn out to be false. :shrug:

shirley1011 October 27th, 2010 12:26 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;962445]I just did not want to rehash things again that have caused so many problems for so many members. :shrug: There have been enough hurt feelings on this site lately. Now is the time to try healing and to try to win back some of those valued members we have lost. :( I for one miss them.
There was no need to delete your posts Winston. The happy endings is a great idea. Please don't take this the wrong way. I'll shut up now and you guys can do what you want.[/QUOTE]

Your idea was good Winston...it just seems like so many feelings are being hurt recently and for no reason....and I agree 14+ we need to try and win back some of the valued members who have left and prevent others from doing the same....I don't know what it will take but I think we all need to take a kinder approach and stop the backstabbing...if there is someone you dislike just ignore their threads (as I for one will do) .
We are all here for our own reasons.....and it would be a shame to not have this safe loving community to come to.
Just my :2cents:

14+kitties October 27th, 2010 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=shirley1011;962450]Your idea was good Winston...it just seems like so many feelings are being hurt recently and for no reason....and I agree 14+ we need to try and win back some of the valued members who have left and prevent others from doing the same....I don't know what it will take but I think we all need to take a kinder approach and stop the backstabbing...if there is someone you dislike just ignore their threads (as I for one will do) .
We are all here for our own reasons.....and it would be a shame to not have this safe loving community to come to.
Just my :2cents:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Shirley. :grouphug: I want the old Pets back!!
Winston, you know if we were sitting face to face and this conversation came up it would not end up the way it has. I guess my words didn't come out right one more time. I didn't say get rid of your posts. All I was trying to say is that I am tired of what is happening. I can't remember the last time there has been so many hurt feelings. I don't know. Maybe I need to grow a thicker skin........

Winston October 27th, 2010 12:42 PM

Yeah I want the old pets.ca back as well were there less insults and fighting and anyone could comment on how they felt without someone coming on and saying "thats not what this is about!" .

Maybe my skin is too thick but its getting a bit too much on here lately.

Lets put this thread back on track! again :sorry: for being :offtopic:

Winston October 27th, 2010 03:25 PM

[I]I agree that the more information that's given at the outset the better. Basically members share their experiences here and offer advice based on that experience. Of course the advice given will change as more facts become available and it makes the most sense to provide as many facts as possible, especially most of the basics mentioned above.[/I]

Great point Marko!

I also think that we should be also aware that there are many people who are frantic for information and because they are in a state of panic or distress they dont always remember to give you all of the information listed above? The information usually changes a bit based on the first few comments from members. I cant think of how many times we have asked newbies or others for additonal information...:shrug: some peoplpe just dont remember all of that information you are asking people to provide??

If we dont want to delve into the discussion a little bit then maybe we shouldnt respond to those threads?? this is a hard discussion because I dont think your going to get a consensus on this. Just my :2cents:

cassiek October 27th, 2010 07:41 PM

I agree 110% 14+. I think posters will receive more specific answers to their questions the more information they can provide. In my experience, the more information the better! :thumbs up True, sometimes in a moment of panic it's easy to forget the little details. Still, it'd be great for posters to refer to this thread for suggestions on info to provide. When you take your pet to the vet, they want information such as history, symptoms, etc. etc. It's really no different here. We may still end up having to likely refer someone to their vet, but information (or lack thereof) can really change what a disease, condition, etc may look like depending on the info. I think we can give the best answers with the more information we have! :highfive: