Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Spring '13 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84445)

Goldfields August 17th, 2013 09:51 PM

Spring '13

3 Attachment(s)
Well, Spring is coming in here with the usual equinoxial gales only worse, 65klm gusts, though I read where it got to 106kmh at Mt William, 30 mile away, in the Grampians Mt range. I'm getting in ahead of Spring seeing I'm busy for the next week, then off into hospital for a hopefully short stay. The signs are everywhere though, grass growing fast, roses sending out shoots, irises starting to move. :thumbs up I will start this thread with some Hellebores, nicknamed winter roses but I think they've held out till almost Spring because it was too cold for them this Winter. :D
The first I think is Blue Metallic Lady, and the third is double burgundy, but have lost track of the name of the second one.

Goldfields August 17th, 2013 09:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pretty ordinary selection so far, sorry. The daff's are miniatures, Tete a Tete.

hazelrunpack August 18th, 2013 10:24 AM

Gorgeous, GF!! Love the hellebores, but pansies are my faves!

Goldfields August 18th, 2013 10:59 AM

I love the Hellebores because they are so easy to grow and are great for the shady spots. A good value plant .... though they are expensive come to think of it. Have to agree on pansies, love the colour, and the new ruffled ones.

Barkingdog August 18th, 2013 02:03 PM

They're very gorgeous I like them all, I also loves pansies . Our summer is winding down I hope. I do not want anymore heat waves and Marty feel the same

What is the beautiful orange flower called , is that a pansy too? I love the color of it.

lindapalm August 18th, 2013 08:20 PM

The Hellebores are my favorite, they come up in March through the snow and continue to flower till fall when it snows again. I have the green one, but I think the purple one is so much prettier, I'm going to have to look around for it next spring.

Dog Dancer August 19th, 2013 10:19 AM

Oh I have to say I love the double purple Hellebore also. I don't know how your little flowers have survived those winds mind you GF.

Goldfields August 19th, 2013 11:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have two nice lemon Hellebores now too, lindapalm, just don't know if they intend to flower this year.
Yes, a pansy, Barkingdog. Lovely clear apricot, isn't it? I almost bought a megapunnet of that colour today, but instead opted for this lovely raspberry pink and white one, below. Some of my garden is sheltered by the house, shrubs etc. but it has become so windy that you can't grow standard roses in the open. I don't bother with them at all. Hope that hyacinth isn't the only one to flower this year.

Barkingdog August 19th, 2013 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1060818]I have two nice lemon Hellebores now too, lindapalm, just don't know if they intend to flower this year.
Yes, a pansy, Barkingdog. Lovely clear apricot, isn't it? I almost bought a megapunnet of that colour today, but instead opted for this lovely raspberry pink and white one, below. Some of my garden is sheltered by the house, shrubs etc. but it has become so windy that you can't grow standard roses in the open. I don't bother with them at all. Hope that hyacinth isn't the only one to flower this year.[/QUOTE]

I never seen a pansy that color , yes it's very lovely . You have very beautiful flowers .

Goldfields August 19th, 2013 08:58 PM

Must try and save seeds of some of these pansies this year.

Goldfields October 19th, 2013 08:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It's Iris time. And what a pity they don't last long. :(

Goldfields October 19th, 2013 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More of the same. :)

Goldfields October 19th, 2013 08:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And again. Next weekend I hope to visit an iris garden about 33 miles from here. One of the ladies at the hospital cafeteria had some irises in a vase on the counter and turns out she and her sister are growing them on a scale like I am, but no doubt more successfully. LOL. They'll be newer irises than mine so can't wait to get out there.

lindapalm October 19th, 2013 08:30 PM

Considering how different and pretty each one is, it is a shame they don't last longer.

Goldfields October 19th, 2013 08:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Rose time also.
Mme Alfred Carriere.
4th of July.
Whisky

Goldfields October 19th, 2013 08:35 PM

Roses are much better value, lindapalm.

lindapalm October 20th, 2013 01:16 PM

I've never had any luck with roses, gave up on them a long time ago. I'm the type of gardener that tries something once, and if it doesn't work out good the first time the plant doesn't get a second chance.

Goldfields October 20th, 2013 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And I'm the opposite, if it's something I really like, I look for ways to make it happen, then try, try, try again. I failed with irises on my first attempt. Wrong position, full sun, and I didn't realise that in our hot summers the rhizomes are best kept covered almost. Didn't know how much water to give them or that they needed feeding. And Clematis is another thing, finally got one to survive a YEAR. :eek: :laughing:

Ebb Tide
The Nun
Soaring Spirits

Goldfields October 20th, 2013 06:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just Joey.
Mary Rose & some pink Dianthus.
Tall Bearded Iris.

Barkingdog October 20th, 2013 07:19 PM

Wow! They're all so beautiful! We're having fall right and everything is looking very naked. The ground it covered will colorful leaves .

Goldfields October 20th, 2013 07:34 PM

Yes, the garden is starting to look lovely, Barkingdog. I thought it great that a visitor said it was like a cottage garden, because that is the sort of garden I am aiming for. Love visiting gardens where you just want to explore and see what little treasures are tucked away. Don't knock your beautiful Fall leaves. The colours in Fall there are superb, unlike our same old, same old nothing, just gum trees. :( People here flock to a town called Bright in order to see your sort of Autumn colours.

Goldfields October 20th, 2013 07:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Geum, which for all I know could grow wild as a wildflower in your countries.
Another, different example of the rose , 4th of July.
Zepherine Drouhin.+

Barkingdog October 20th, 2013 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1062243]Yes, the garden is starting to look lovely, Barkingdog. I thought it great that a visitor said it was like a cottage garden, because that is the sort of garden I am aiming for. Love visiting gardens where you just want to explore and see what little treasures are tucked away. Don't knock your beautiful Fall leaves. The colours in Fall there are superb, unlike our same old, same old nothing, just gum trees. :( People here flock to a town called Bright in order to see your sort of Autumn colours.[/QUOTE]

the leaves are pretty but trees look so naked now. And I know this mean winter is not far way. and that mean ice which I hate to walk on.

Goldfields October 20th, 2013 10:44 PM

Not a nice outlook, I agree. You'd have to be super careful on ice. I don't suppose the perfect climate exists anywhere though.

Dog Dancer October 21st, 2013 05:02 PM

Ah, GF your pics are always spectacular! I don't think it's possible to pick a favourite of your flowers.

hazelrunpack October 21st, 2013 06:14 PM

beautiful gardens, gf! didn't get to work much in mine this yr, but they sorta survived anyway! :o lots of weeding to look forward to next spring, tho

Goldfields October 22nd, 2013 12:43 AM

DD, imagine what I could do if I had a good camera. LOL.

Know the feeling, Hazel. I haven't done much this year either. Never mind, we should both really enjoy next year, making up for lost time. :)

Goldfields October 22nd, 2013 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
3 quickies. The rose is Pascali. The lemon iris is called Lemon Mist. Don 't recall the name of the peach and lavender iris.

lindapalm October 22nd, 2013 09:55 PM

The peach and lavender one is so pretty, how many different shades of iris do you have? All I have left out here are some muddy begonias that I hate to give up on. Even the colored leaves are just about done, so everything looks blah.

Goldfields October 23rd, 2013 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know how many different colours, lindapalm, because there are irises there that I have never seen flower yet. They are in front of a big shrub that may be taking water away from them or giving too much shade. When I do a new bed they can be shifted. I also have a heap in big pots that haven't bloomed. Only one new one out today, one I haven't seen before.