Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cat has dandruff. What to do? Answered by Dr. Guindon. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=34)

petdr April 26th, 2001 08:33 PM

[b]Question: My cat has dandruff, what are some solutions to this? She hates being brushed, although I am trying this, it does not seem to be helping.[/b]

Answer:

First:
We are just getting out of winter, but if you had no air humidifier in your home during this winter, your house must have been dry. If your cat did not go out during all winter, you can say that he did live in dry surroundings, 24 hours a day. Consequence: dry skin with dandruff.

Second:
Also, the quality of the food can make a big difference in the different qualities of the cat's fur. Be sure that the food your are giving to your cat, contains enough essential unsaturated fatty acids needed for a normal skin condition.

Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280

Riceman January 25th, 2002 01:01 AM

fatty acids?

Hello,
What amount of essential fatty acids is sufficient for my cat? I'm using IAMS Active Maturity with Omega-6 fatty acids not less than 2.30% and Omega -3 fatty acids not less than 0.23%. Thanks for your time.
Riceman:D

batcat January 29th, 2002 12:26 PM

Hi there,

Here's something i found on specific essential fatty acids.

[url]http://www.speedyvet.com/NIP/omega/default.htm[/url]

I hope it helps you

B.C.

woadtoad November 28th, 2002 10:24 AM

I have the same problem- a cat with severe dandruff problems. I know that the problem is directly related to his diet, because when I feed him richer and fattier dry food, the dandruff goes almost entirely away. Unfortunately, my cat is a senior cat (9 yrs) and he also gains a good deal of weight when I put him on this type of diet. To compound the problem, he never washes himself, so although I brush him, that's the only time his skin ever gets cleaned.

I have another cat that is very fastidious, and she never has this problem, no matter what food I give them. Is there any way I can continue with the reduced-fat diet and yet also give him something that will eliminate the dandruff? Maybe a vitamin, or a special oil that won't jeopardize his health by putting so much weight on him?
He has had this problem consistently for about 5 years now.

Catt31 May 11th, 2003 10:19 AM

Ok, I'm with woadtoad! I have 2 cats, one 9 yr. old female who has never had dandruff, and a 6 yr. old male (black) who has dandruff quite often. They both eat the same food, so its hard to separate feeding times. All I do to help the dandruff, is dribble about a tbsp. of OLIVE OIL on their dry food every day. This totally helps combat the problem, and there is no worry of my senior cat getting too fat!! It is healthy for both of them and cheaper than buying 2 types of food @ $45 a bag!!:rolleyes:

ALLY05 January 2nd, 2004 08:30 PM

cant do a diet

we cant do a special diet to help because he is already on a special diet due to crystals in his urine, but he has really bad dandruff. i was thinking of doing a shampoo but he hates water with a passion, but most cats do. so i dont know what to do. please help!!!

Catt31 January 4th, 2004 12:15 PM

Try dribbling olive oil onto his food! When I had Ozzie, who was also on special food because of crystals in his urine, I did the same thing...olive oil worked wonders on the dandruff!!! It won't take away the effectiveness of the special diet!! Good luck!

TalonsMa August 26th, 2004 10:22 AM

[QUOTE=Catt31]Try dribbling olive oil onto his food! When I had Ozzie, who was also on special food because of crystals in his urine, I did the same thing...olive oil worked wonders on the dandruff!!! It won't take away the effectiveness of the special diet!! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hey That's a GREAT suggestion, Sades gets dandruff, Talon doesn't, and they eat the same food, same as your kitty's. I'm going to try the Olive Oil thing.

OnlyInMyDreams August 26th, 2004 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=Riceman]Hello,
What amount of essential fatty acids is sufficient for my cat? I'm using IAMS Active Maturity with Omega-6 fatty acids not less than 2.30% and Omega -3 fatty acids not less than 0.23%. Thanks for your time.
Riceman:D[/QUOTE]

Sorry to pull the attention away from the main topic of the thread butttt.. Riceman please consider using a different cat food for you kitty. IAMS is under investiagtion right now for cruelty to animals. You can find more infor on other post here:

[url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6596&highlight=IAMS[/url]

Sorry to interrupt, please continue

Sneaky2006 August 26th, 2004 12:40 PM

The original thread was 3 years ago... ricemans post was over 2 years ago!

OnlyInMyDreams August 26th, 2004 12:48 PM

HAHA I didnt notice, sorry. I just saw the one from today.. Opps.. dead thread