Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Alas, dear warbler tree, I knew you well... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73331)

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 01:39 PM

Alas, dear warbler tree, I knew you well...

3 Attachment(s)
Took me a bit this morning to see what was out of place...but then I noticed one of my favorite trees was leaning... Too much wind...too much water...too many moles softening the ground. :(

[ATTACH]69970[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69971[/ATTACH]

Whoops...just a few minutes later, it's much worse! The roots are threatening to take out the chain link when the wind topples it!

[ATTACH]69972[/ATTACH]

Time for the rescue crew!

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 01:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Friends to the rescue!!! :thankyou: R & S!!!! :grouphug:
[ATTACH]69973[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]69974[/ATTACH]

Not only did they spare the chain link, but the small fence inside the chain link that separates the basement yard from the big yard! R managed to get the mesh off it before the tree came down and the trunks missed the poles :thumbs up

But alas, the warbler tree is no more... :cry:

[ATTACH]69975[/ATTACH]

Melinda October 27th, 2010 01:51 PM

its always sad to see a tree come down, even though you know it must. do you burn wood? is that type any good to burn? We had a large elm tree that split (our tree cabin was in it) and I had hubs cut some of it in 5 foot lengths that I pulled with the 4-wheeler to the side of our yard where I feed all the critters its about 3 feet wide and I made it part of the feeding station, is there a way you can do that too?

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 02:00 PM

It's a sappy hemlock so probably not good burning wood for much except external wood furnaces. I may offer the wood to the fellas that helped save the fence since they both have furnaces like that...

We already have an oak that came down outside the fence that I use for a feeder :D They really like it back there! :thumbs up Birds [I]and[/I] deer! :cloud9:

I always see lots of warblers in the hemlocks, though, and the bigger one to the right of it in the pic is slated to come down when the ground gets hard. It 'self-prunes'--drops huge branches at unpredictable times...or the branches crack off and hang forever (in that last pic, you can see a rusty-colored branch hanging in the upright hemlock--it weighs enough to kill a human or a dog underneath when it lets go and is hanging by a thread of bark... So for next spring's warbler migration, I'll be hemlock-less inside the yard. :(

Melinda October 27th, 2010 02:20 PM

oh that is sad, at the back of my lot I have appr 15 huge fir tree's that we planted as 10 inch "sticks" *L* 26 yrs ago, then are now about the height of your hemlock tree's....if the do end up building a subdivision behind us, we may end up losing them...I hope not, the fawns sleep under them and the rabbits take shelter there....

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 02:27 PM

Maybe they won't be clearing lots all the way to the property line. :fingerscr I hope your trees are left unscathed!! :pray: :goodvibes:

Winston October 27th, 2010 03:10 PM

Wow Hazel thats a mighty big tree! so do you have a fenced area and then have that fenced in? Oh my I am confused? is that just bush around you? I would live that!!!!!

Dee-O-Gee October 27th, 2010 05:39 PM

That sucks Hazel. How old was the Hemlock? Looks pretty big and would probably take years & years to replace with another fir tree at that size. :(

Goldfields October 27th, 2010 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;962486] It 'self-prunes'--drops huge branches at unpredictable times...or the branches crack off and hang forever (in that last pic, you can see a rusty-colored branch hanging in the upright hemlock--it weighs enough to kill a human or a dog underneath when it lets go and is hanging by a thread of bark... So for next spring's warbler migration, I'll be hemlock-less inside the yard. :([/QUOTE]

That would be called a 'widow maker' here in Australia, Hazel,although here it's the huge gum tree branches that fall and kill people.

Condolences on losing such a lovely tree but wow, what timing, being able to catch it on film. Lovely area you live in.

luckypenny October 27th, 2010 07:14 PM

:candle: Warbler Tree

Trees coming down sadden me too :o.

Lucky that your friends were able to make it there in time before any damage was done to the fence though. Wanna borrow Penny to make wood chips of it all in no time :rolleyes:?

hazelrunpack October 27th, 2010 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;962517]Wow Hazel thats a mighty big tree! so do you have a fenced area and then have that fenced in? Oh my I am confused? is that just bush around you? I would live that!!!!![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][I]There's a large area fenced in by the chain-link, and then a less elaborate 'temporary' fence that runs from one section of the chain-link to the house--that 'temp' fence splits the big yard from the basement yard. It's just so convenient to have multiple yards to separate dogs in or for use at night when you want them confined to the lit area. I can't even remember why we put that little 'temporary' fence up for in the first place! But we found it so convenient that it became permanent. We still call it our 'temporary' fence, though! :laughing:[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=klmccallum;962539]That sucks Hazel. How old was the Hemlock? Looks pretty big and would probably take years & years to replace with another fir tree at that size. :([/QUOTE]
[COLOR="purple"][I]
I think Hemlock is pretty slow-growing. This one was only 50 feet tall, so probably not full-grown and likely was about 40 yrs old, but that's just a guess. The other is about 80 feet tall and older--it's beginning to succumb to old age, so it'll be coming down this winter, too. :([/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Goldfields;962544]That would be called a 'widow maker' here in Australia, Hazel,although here it's the huge gum tree branches that fall and kill people.

[COLOR="purple"][I]Our widow-makers here are the oaks! They're dropping branches all the time. :eek: The hemlocks don't start being widow-makers till they start getting old. This one is old enough to make us really, really uncomfortable. So it has to come down...sigh. [/I][/COLOR]

Condolences on losing such a lovely tree but wow, what timing, being able to catch it on film. Lovely area you live in.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="purple"][I]Aw, thanks, GF! But as for catching it on film...LOL Haven't you noticed? hazel lives with her camera around her neck! Some people die with their boots on, hazel will likely die of strangulation from her camera strap! :laughing: Dang, you should see the number of images she's recorded since she got the camera :eek: Takes forever to sort through them all :o[/I][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=luckypenny;962555]:candle: Warbler Tree

Trees coming down sadden me too :o.

Lucky that your friends were able to make it there in time before any damage was done to the fence though. Wanna borrow Penny to make wood chips of it all in no time :rolleyes:?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][I]She's a good chipper? Send her on down! :thumbs up :laughing:

I think we've decided to cut the stump off at knee-height, plop a plank on it and use it as a seat! Probably do that with the other hemlock, too, when it comes down. Then in a pinch they can do double-duty--I can spread sunflower seed on them for the birds. :D[/I][/COLOR]

Goldfields October 28th, 2010 12:18 AM

We're the same here, Hazel, having 3 separate areas to run dogs in. For us it may have been females in one if one was in season, sheltie boys in another, and the cattle dogs in the third one. And we have a little area where you walk from the yard at the back to the side yard where there are actually 3 gates and a fence (one gate into each dog area, the other into what was my vegie gardens) forming a little holding pen. So many times it has stopped shelties from bolting out with the cattle dogs. Visitors may think it looks strange but it is invaluable to us.
I did laugh at the idea of you dying of strangulation by a camera strap. :D Aren't digital cameras just the best thing since sliced bread. (Or isn't yours digital?) I cart mine everywhere too.
Harking back to trees, what we find here is that once a gum drops a branch, it just goes on doing it. Very dangerous.

chico2 October 28th, 2010 04:05 PM

i too get awfully sad to see a tree chopped down,but you had no choice.
when we move in to our house.a huge chestnut-tree was taken out,to make room for a side-walk and i cried,it was such a beautiful tree:(