Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bee or wasp stings in dogs - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=5194)

Caper 205 June 27th, 2004 06:00 PM

Bee or wasp stings in dogs - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

What can we do for bee or wasp stings for our cats or dogs?

Lucky Rescue June 27th, 2004 06:07 PM

Last year I got stung 7 times, all at once, by wasps. Mix baking soda and water to a paste and apply it to the sting. Make sure the stinger is not still in the flesh.

Caper 205 June 27th, 2004 06:35 PM

Thanks again for the info. I am so happy to have found this site. :)

petdr July 6th, 2004 10:16 AM

If you can find the sting spot, then use a meat tenderizer poultice, and follow up with an antihistamine: I use Benadryl 25mg 2-3X daily for twenty-four hours for dogs in the 15lb to 30lb range. Most dogs become drowsy with antihistamine.

If there is significant swelling (an allergic reaction) then see your veterinarian right away.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

dmc123 July 20th, 2004 06:51 PM

My dog is very allergic to stings, and seems to get stung once a year at least. I keep benadryl on hand at all times.

The first time she had a reaction, her neck swelled up, looked like she had the mumps. We rushed her to the vet, he gave her a cortizone shot and suggested benadryl.

This past Monday, she got stung evidently near her eye when she went out first thing in the morning. After coming in and sleeping for awhile, she woke at 9 or so with a totally swollen eye. We started her on the benadryl, but still took her in to the vet, since it was her eye and because I am paranoid. She was given another cortizone shot and after almost a full day, she is back to herself.

I guess some dogs are more allergic than others, just like humans (I have to go to the doctor everytime I get a sting from a wasp, bee, hornet, etc.).

dlowery669 June 7th, 2011 09:20 AM

I think my dog might have gotten stung by a wasp, near the base of her tail. It is swollen, about the size of my thumbnail. I noticed this on Sunday and today is Tuesday and is still swollen. She is fine otherwise, eating, playing....how long does it take for the swelling to go down?

Melinda June 7th, 2011 09:27 AM

I normally give Brina benadryl and by the evening the swelling is almost gone

Winston June 7th, 2011 11:24 AM

Dlowery669 Is the sting on the top of the tail or the underside? Just wondering because you wouldnt want to miss a problem such as infected or absessed anal glands?? Have you seen your pup scooting at all?

MaxaLisa June 13th, 2011 04:44 AM

If the lump doesn't go down and persists, like for a long time (talking years), be sure to have a vet check it out. My girl's wasp sting never resolved and eventually turned into a mast cell tumor.

My girl was special, she never never followed the rules. I suspect that this is very rare.