Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Quick Question - Feline Orijen (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43868)

Ford Girl August 21st, 2007 01:31 PM

Quick Question - Feline Orijen

Hi, a question for those who are feeding their cats Orijen, just wondering how much per day are you feeding, how much does your cat weight? Do you feed wet and dry each time?

I ask cuz Puberts doing so well on it, hasn't been sick once since the switch, normal poops - a bit softer then before but not the runs...he is about 10lbs give or take..and has put some weight on since we switched him, he gets fed twice a day...1/4 cup of Orijen Kibble + 1 teaspoon of Evo at each feeding. He loves it! We use to free feed him, now it's measured.

The issue is, he's always looking for food! He now pesters us to be fed, always meowing at his dish...looking for food, waiting for the next meal. The bag said 1/2 a cup per day for a 10lb cat, which is what he's getting. I don't want to increase that cuz I know it's rich. There is not one kibble or lick left in his dish the next time I feed him.

I have been buying the sample bags for now just incase it didn't go well, and the feeding instructions are not on the sample bags, can someone confirm that 1/2 a cup for 10lbs is accurate?

Do you think he's hungry or do you think he just loves his food so much and he's use to free feeding and wants more?

Any thoughts?

sugarcatmom August 21st, 2007 01:47 PM

A rough guideline is that cats need somewhere between 20-30 calories per pound of body weight, depending on age, activity level and metabolism. According to the Orijen website, there are 540 cal/cup, so a half cup puts that at 270 cal. Add the 2 tsps of Innova EVO (542 cal/cup) and your at about 292 cal/day for Pubert, so the upper range for a 10lb cat. If you think that he has gained weight and you don't want him to, I'd say you should probably cut back a bit. It's likely that he's just used to free-feeding and he also really likes the new food.

Ford Girl August 21st, 2007 01:57 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;467473]A rough guideline is that cats need somewhere between 20-30 calories per pound of body weight, depending on age, activity level and metabolism. According to the Orijen website, there are 540 cal/cup, so a half cup puts that at 270 cal. Add the 2 tsps of Innova EVO (542 cal/cup) and your at about 292 cal/day for Pubert, so the upper range for a 10lb cat. If you think that he has gained weight and you don't want him to, I'd say you should probably cut back a bit. It's likely that he's just used to free-feeding and he also really likes the new food.[/QUOTE]

No, the added weight is a good thing, he got skinny quick from throwing up every time he ate for 2 months. He looks better now, if it gets out of control I will cut back.

So he is in the right range eh? Man, he acts like he's starving!!! Last night I was trying to watch TV while my husband was on the phone and he went back and forth between us biting our feet, licking the phone, chewing on the cord, swatting anything he could off the coffee table, and inbetween each bad-act he goes to his dish and meows! In the early morning when we come out of our room he's sitting on his table waiting to be fed, at dinner time, he doesn't rest until he's fed - he follows me formthe pantry tot he kitchen counter to his table all the while singing. It's cute, and it beats throwing up and grumpiness but one would think we never fed him!! He sure loves it!!

clm August 21st, 2007 02:08 PM

As long as he's not overweight, you could try leaving a bowl of just the orijen out for him to munch on between meals. That's what I do with mine.

Cindy

sugarcatmom August 21st, 2007 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=Ford Girl;467475]No, the added weight is a good thing, he got skinny quick from throwing up every time he ate for 2 months. He looks better now, if it gets out of control I will cut back.[/QUOTE]

Ah ha! Well that's great then. Ya, I'd way rather have a cat that's eager to eat, even if they're being a pest, then have to deal with inappetance (been there, done that, could write the book).

Ford Girl August 21st, 2007 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=clm;467480]As long as he's not overweight, you could try leaving a bowl of just the orijen out for him to munch on between meals. That's what I do with mine.

Cindy[/QUOTE]

He would eat the whole thing, there'd be no munching...he eats each meal from start to finish and licks the bowl clean each time, every kibble and every morsel of wet food. :cat:

Is there something eles I can feed him that could help fill him up but not be too rich and cause the runs? I haven't tried upping his food, his poop is on the soft side already but not the runs, and we had issues with Dazy on Orijen, I have seen what too much does....believe me, I've seen it!!! LOL!! :laughing:

Winston August 21st, 2007 03:28 PM

Ford Girl..I have my 2 cats on Orijen and they love it! Now I free feed and my cats are a little on the small size..I figured they would gain wait with this as it his high protein...well they had their check up today and I was soooooo happy!! The vet was really impressed ...they are 11 years old now...Except! they did not gain a stich of weight! the bonus was their teeth really cleaned up since on this kibble...it must be crunchier??

However, we take my moms little boy in at the same time...he is a totally different cat! he will eat her out of house and home if he could! he is NOT free fed and acts exactly like you are saying....what we have been doing is picking up the dish after he finishes and he dos not keep checking to see it empty!! it drives him crazy to see the bowl empty...he also gained 2lbs!!! he is a little porker (13lbs) ..I just wish Orijen would come out with a fish formula so that my 2 cats will stay out of the dog bowl!! They love the smell of it!! (I dont though!)

Cindy