Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Anal Sacs - leaky anal glands - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22034)

raingirl December 10th, 2005 10:37 PM

Anal Sacs - leaky anal glands - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

I have been talking with all my bulldog owner friends and learned that bulldogs are prone to random expressing of their anal glands. They are also prone to overactive glands.

So...I have noticed that Odin has been "letting go" a little more in the last few weeks. I'm hesitant to go to the vet, as I don't think they are impacted or infected, based on what I have read and seen. And I know my vet will just prescribe antibiotics just in case, which I don't want.

There is no blood or pus, and the fluid isn't thick or creamy (which are signs of infection). The fluid looks normal like how the vet showed us when he expressed them once. Also, the area doesn't look red, and I don't feel them under the skin, which means they aren't full. So I think he just has overactive glands.

Yesterday I was sitting on the chair in our living room watching tv and all of the sudden I could smell that he had expelled his glands. It was soooo gross. I left the room to get air freshener, and it was so strong I could smell it in the hallway! Ewwww!

He does scoot, but that's just because of his tail which gets irritated easily (when he poops we have to wipe it off, as his tail covers his anus a little, therefore it can get raw easily).

So...any suggestions? I know some bully owners recommend a little all bran with their dog food to increase the bulk of the poop to help the glands drain a little better.

Also, anyone have any cleaning tips to remove the smell? He usually does it on his blankets, bed, our couch, or the carpet (usually happens when he's sitting, and when he is stressed, like when I try and cut his nails, clean his wrinkles, put in eye medication...all the things I do on a daily basis)

I probably should have titled this "leaky glands"

Prin December 10th, 2005 11:09 PM

How is he otherwise? Maybe allergies might be causing them to fill up faster or be itchier? I'd ask the vet if adding fiber to the food would help them express in a more suitable way... (It might not be enough and the vet might have other suggestions...)

Boubou December 10th, 2005 11:35 PM

If you are fortunate enough to get that lovely, anal gland aroma, then consider your dog gifted. He can empty his own glands, which is actually normal and healthy. Dogs that have problems with their glands are the ones who cannot empty them on their own, either when having a bowel movement or otherwise. If you are worried and he is 'scooting' excessively, then either see a vet or a qualified pet groomer for their advice, but otherwise, I wouldn't be worried. Just keep some baby wipes on hand to wipe his bum when this happens.....:pawprint: :pawprint:

petdr December 20th, 2005 09:51 AM

Certainly a diet high in roughage will aid compression of anal sacs. Many dogs when excited will spontaneously express their anal sacs, considered normal. And there are commercial products to aid in covering or reducing the anal sac odor.

The most efficient product available to remove the odor is simple ethanol, methanol or isopropyl alcohol. Careful when using any alcohol (I would suggest a dilution of isopropyl on a gauze pad) simply because it can irritate any sensitive skin. Blot the area lightly and gently.

If there is an underlying allergy problem or chronic source of skin irritation, then one usually finds excessive anal sac discharge.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

beyondthethree January 5th, 2009 05:17 PM

Bull Mastiff-Anal Glands

My bull mastiff gets all the hot spots very badly, so instead of bouts of corticosteroids, I tried changing his food to Call of the Wild brand which is mainly protein sources and no filler.

but since then..its the only change we made, we practically have to express his anal glands every day or every other day. The odor of him just walking around the house is horrible.

The food helped with the hotspots but not fully are they gone but now he has the anal gland issue. We have a 4 month old baby...and if its not the oozy leaky hotspots or his anal glands we are lost and need some advice please.