Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=55462)

chico2 August 14th, 2008 04:21 PM

Hibiscus and Rose of Sharon...

3 Attachment(s)
Finally they are blooming,first pic is my Hibiscus,then the Rose of Sharon,I love that one,it's got double white flowers.
Then a sea of Black-eyed Susans.
14+,next spring I am going to split a whole bunch of stuff,Hostas,Coneflowrs,Blackeyed Susans and others.
If you want some,but not before spring,I can give you some.

14+kitties August 14th, 2008 04:39 PM

Thanks Chico! I may buy some hostas from you if you have some I don't. I need to separate mine badly too. I have a few varieties started in the greenhouse for next year from seed.
Love the hibiscus. I have every colour of Rose of Sharon but the white one. I will have to come visit in the fall when the seeds are ready. ;)
Beautiful as usual.

chico2 August 15th, 2008 06:04 AM

14+,did you say buy:laughing:I don't think soo.
I have one bluish/greeen Hosta and 4 of the kind of common ones.
Seeds?? Does that mean you want me to keep the wilted flowers on the Hibiscus.
I know nothing of growing from seeds:laughing:

14+kitties August 15th, 2008 07:20 AM

Yes, I said buy. :p The bluish green may be one I don't have. I will have to check.
No, you don't have to keep the wilted flowers on the plant. The plant forms seed heads quite well. Unless you cut the whole dead flower off? I usually don't. I just take the flower part off and let the plant do it's job.

aslan August 15th, 2008 09:25 AM

ummm ladies can i ask a really stupid flower question.. i am more a rose kinda person, never really paid much attention to day lilies. Do they grow seed pods? My neighbour gave me some this spring 'cause i was told to get a hobby.. and the pretty yellow one, with the brown stripe has what looks like a seed pod on it.

14+kitties August 15th, 2008 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=aslan;640881]ummm ladies can i ask a really stupid flower question.. i am more a rose kinda person, never really paid much attention to day lilies. Do they grow seed pods? My neighbour gave me some this spring 'cause i was told to get a hobby.. and the pretty yellow one, with the brown stripe has what looks like a seed pod on it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, they do.
Wait till it dries and remove it and stick it in the ground somewhere.

aslan August 15th, 2008 09:38 AM

oh yay, the one plant was soooo pretty. hmmm do i have to plant it or can i save it til the spring, we are building a deck in the back and i'd want to plant them there between the two weeping mulberries.

14+kitties August 15th, 2008 09:44 AM

It won't be a viable plant for a couple of years. It will be too small. What you can do is put the seed in a pot and keep watered but not soaked. The seed takes about a month or more to sprout so don't give up on it. Some just don't sprout. Keep the pot in a window that gets some light but not a lot. Heat will kill the seed. You don't have to do it till spring if you don't want to. :thumbs up

aslan August 15th, 2008 09:48 AM

Thanks 14+ i've missed having a garden, friggen renovations....

Chris21711 August 15th, 2008 11:51 AM

Beautiful Hibiscus Chico, I love them. My garden is in dire need of attention right now I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

14k - With the Lily seed pods - do you wait until they go brown :confused: I've always nipped them off..............Help

14+kitties August 15th, 2008 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;641010]Beautiful Hibiscus Chico, I love them. My garden is in dire need of attention right now I'm hoping to get to it this weekend.

14k - With the Lily seed pods - do you wait until they go brown :confused: I've always nipped them off..............Help[/QUOTE]

Just leave the lily pods on until you can actually see the seeds inside. They will be brown when they are ripe and the pod will start to open to release the seeds.

Chris21711 August 16th, 2008 05:59 PM

[QUOTE=14+kitties;641218]Just leave the lily pods on until you can actually see the seeds inside. They will be brown when they are ripe and the pod will start to open to release the seeds.[/QUOTE]

Thanks 14k, will do. Something else to try :thumbs up

hazelrunpack August 16th, 2008 10:02 PM

Your flowers are beautiful, as always, chico! :cloud9: I wish my black-eyed susans looked that good! :rolleyes:

chico2 August 19th, 2008 07:31 AM

Hazel,I swear,NOBODY can go wrong with Black-Eyed Susans,they are indestructable:laughing:not even Hazel and 8 dogs..

Aslan,I never thought of you as a"rose"person,roses are usually for older ladies like me.:laughing:
I actually got sick from the strong smell of a yellow rose right under my window,normally(when I am not sick)I love it.

aslan August 19th, 2008 08:02 AM

lol, yeah i'm funny that way, i've like barbra striesand since i was little too. When one of the roses i planted this year blooms i'll take a picture for you, it's called "love" the petals are red on the inside and white on the outside. some perty it is....

chico2 August 19th, 2008 08:58 AM

Sounds very nice,you go out there and get a nice close-up pic,ok:thumbs up
I too always liked Barbra,but then I also love ABBA and my all time best in the world Elvis Presley:laughing:
Got to to go,but I'll check back for a pic....

aslan August 19th, 2008 08:59 AM

but but it hasn't bloomed yet, it's only a baby:sad: I saw abba in person years ago at maple leaf gardens:D

Chris21711 August 19th, 2008 09:00 AM

ABBA, Chico, Oh No :yell:

aslan August 19th, 2008 09:11 AM

HEY whats wrong with ABBA,,,,, i like abba.

chico2 August 20th, 2008 07:48 AM

Chris,shame on you:laughing:I am very proud of "my"Swedish group:laughing:
Aslan,I remember when Abba won the European Songfestival a loooong time ago(even though I was only 2yrs old;)),with "Waterloo"and that's how their wirlwind of success got started.
The blond girl,Agneta,had such a clear beautiful voice.

Chris21711 August 20th, 2008 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;643316]Chris,shame on you:laughing:I am very proud of "my"Swedish group:laughing:
Aslan,I remember when Abba won the European Songfestival a loooong time ago(even though I was only 2yrs old;)),with "Waterloo"and that's how their wirlwind of success got started.
The blond girl,Agneta,had such a clear beautiful voice.[/QUOTE]

I remember that too Chico, at the time I probably liked it but I've moved on since then :laughing:

I'm proud of my British Groups, Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Who and the list goes on :D

aslan August 20th, 2008 08:25 AM

lol, it's two against one Chris, abba gets to stay... Chico, i love agneta too, its unfortunate she ended up being a recluse and wont Perform anymore.

Chris21711 August 20th, 2008 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll just bring in the army [ATTACH]40571[/ATTACH]:laughing:

chico2 August 20th, 2008 03:44 PM

Here I am hijacking my own thread:laughing:oh well,I am allowed..

Aslan,Agneta is actually a typical Swede,she made her money,is still making money,now she's living life the way she wants too,with her animals and out of the lime-light.

Chris,I can't say I've listened to any of those groups,they were probably more my sons faves.
I do love Elton John,was never a fan of the Beatles..

aslan August 20th, 2008 04:19 PM

k just so the hijack isn't total, ummm do you leave or pull gladiola bulbs in the fall, i've heard both sides...

K now back to music, like ozzy, and zeplin too, but like mellow stuff to, can't stand the beatles. or the rolling stones.

chico2 August 20th, 2008 04:38 PM

Oh,Oh,you have to ask 14+about Gladiolas-bulbs,I have no idea..I leave all my bulbs in over winter,but don't have any Gladiolas.

As for music again,I too cannot stand The Stones,the ugliest group in the Universe,but since I am 64yrs old,the Stones were always my 46yr old sons faves.

I LOVE the Eagles,loved Queen...I do love all kinds of music,from Latin to some Classical,depending on what mood I am in...

aslan August 20th, 2008 04:41 PM

omg, i soooo loved Queen, what a sad loss when freddy died... I too like the eagles. i like most types of music, except for punk rock,,just couldn't handle it.

aslan August 20th, 2008 04:42 PM

oh and i have grown glads before, my ex's mom said you had to pull the bulbs and put them in a brown paper bag for the winter, so i did, and the dizzy broad threw the bag out.

14+kitties August 20th, 2008 05:49 PM

Popular opinion is to take them out and overwinter them in a dry, cool spot. I put my bulbs I take up in dry peat moss and layer between sheets of newspaper.

[url]http://www.gardengrowth.com/gardening/flower-gardening/popular-bulbs-for-the-home-gardener/[/url]

[url]http://www.kathyireland.com/ContentSystem/ArticlePage.aspx?ArticleID=3025&CatID=157[/url]

clm August 27th, 2008 08:43 PM

I have Rose of Sharon envy. That's one plant I've never had any success with, period. I've got plants from friends, bought plants, never could get any of them to grow. I'm gonna have to try again one of these years. Yours is stunning.

Cindy