Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Ok bug people, what is it? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66348)

14+kitties October 22nd, 2009 08:34 PM

Ok bug people, what is it?

2 Attachment(s)
I have not seen this bug before last year and then I only saw one or two. Now that cooler weather has hit it seems like they are coming out of the woodwork. Seriously! I have removed about six of them from the house in the last week. I don't think I've even seen any outside. Just in the house.
It is about 3/4 of an inch long with a hard shell. The back has some interesting designs in it. I don't think it bites but you never know. I probably should know what it is but I don't. Just did a search on cockroaches because I have never seen any of those either. It does not resemble them thank dawg!!!

Winston October 22nd, 2009 08:40 PM

14+ you may have to wait til morning when Bendyfoot logs on! she is a bug guru!! I hate bugs!!! :sad:

Bailey_ October 22nd, 2009 09:24 PM

I have no idea...but....EWWWW!!!! :eek::yuck:

Dee-O-Gee October 22nd, 2009 09:40 PM

Looks like an Earwig--maybe? There's a bad bout with them lately. :shrug:

Ironically, I sat through a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) seminar [I]ALL[/I] day today and they scared the bee-gee-bees out of the importing sector about all kinds of bugs! :eek:

According to the seminar today, someone in Ontario thought that earwigs would be ideal to kill off some kind of disease and imported/bred them. We now have an over abundance of an earwig infestation. :shrug:

14+kitties October 22nd, 2009 09:47 PM

[QUOTE=klmccallum;838746]Looks like an Earwig--maybe? Therea a bad bout with them lately. :shrug:

Ironically, I sat through a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) seminar [I]ALL[/I] day today and they scared the bee-gee-bees out of the importing sector about all kinds of bugs! :eek:

According to the seminar today, someone in Ontario thought that earwigs would be ideal to kill off some kind of disease and imported/bred them. We now have an over abundance of an earwig infestation. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Nope. Way too big to be an earwig. I hate those things with a passion!! We have tons of them too. This bug is interesting enough I don't want to kill it unless I find out it's a cockroach of some kind or dangerous to the cats and dogs.

Dee-O-Gee October 22nd, 2009 10:01 PM

Can you capture one in a glass jar and take it to Dr. King at the Queenston Bridge? He's with CFIA and would be able to determine what it is or, find someone that could determine the species and if it's harmful to our enviroment. :shrug:

While we don't want to see it intrude or harm our pets, it would be ideal to determine whether or not it would be damaging to our plants, trees and natural surroundings.

Just a thought... :shrug:

luckypenny October 22nd, 2009 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like a beetle of some sort. Did you by any chance bring in large amounts garden vegetables? Or do you find these bugs near where veggies are stored?

It's hard to tell from your photos but does it look something like this?

14+kitties October 22nd, 2009 10:08 PM

I'll see first if bendy can identify it. I don't have spare time to be looking for a dr right now. If I happen to see another one I may put it in a jar... airtight preferably. :evil:

hazelrunpack October 22nd, 2009 10:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It looks like the longhorn beetles (sorry, don't know their real name) that we see around here. I think they might be associated somehow with the pines, but that's just a guess. I see them a lot, but they've never bitten me...or anyone here to my knowledge. They do, however, seem to pose well for pics. :D Did it look like this:

[ATTACH]59222[/ATTACH]

Marcha October 22nd, 2009 10:25 PM

It looks like a western conifer seed bug. If you google it and select 'images' in the top left corner, does that bring up photos that look similar?

Marcha October 22nd, 2009 10:26 PM

Whoops, Hazel, seems like we cross-posted.

hazelrunpack October 22nd, 2009 10:27 PM

Oh, ya, Marcha! That one seems to have the same square shoulders 14+'s lil friend has! :thumbs up The ones we have here aren't quite as square and don't have the reddish coloration...

14+kitties October 23rd, 2009 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=Marcha;838767]It looks like a western conifer seed bug. If you google it and select 'images' in the top left corner, does that bring up photos that look similar?[/QUOTE]

I think that is it. Or very close to it. As I said, I hadn't seen any up till last year and then only a few. So far this year it's been around 6 or so. Good to know they don't cause any damage to anything.
Sorry about the quality of pics. I couldn't find anything else that would work to get a good pic. Crappy camera, no good spot for him to pose. :rolleyes:
Thanks Marcha. :thumbs up

chico2 October 23rd, 2009 07:47 AM

I have seen something similar in my house and outside,but they were all black..square shoulders and long antennas..
I've seen Roaches in the Caribbean and SCarolina and they really give me the creeps:yell:

bendyfoot October 23rd, 2009 08:14 AM

Haven't read other replies, but it's some kind of "true bug": [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coreidae"]of the Family Coreidae[/URL]

bendyfoot October 23rd, 2009 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;838765]It looks like the longhorn beetles (sorry, don't know their real name) that we see around here. I think they might be associated somehow with the pines, but that's just a guess. I see them a lot, but they've never bitten me...or anyone here to my knowledge. They do, however, seem to pose well for pics. :D Did it look like this:

[ATTACH]59222[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

That's called a Pine Sawyer longhorn beetle (good call on the pine association). :thumbs up

14+kitties October 23rd, 2009 09:49 PM

Thanks for the help in identifying my little creature everyone. Bendy - that info was pretty much what I needed to figure out how they came to be in my house. I am/have been collecting seeds so I would think I probably am bringing them in with the seed pods. I don't know how I missed a "seed" that big though!!! :rolleyes:

rainbow October 23rd, 2009 10:04 PM

Do they give off a stinky sweet odor if you squish them? :evil: If so, then I agree with [B]Marcha[/B] ......they are western conifer seed bugs aka cedar bugs aka stink bugs. :yuck:

14+kitties October 23rd, 2009 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=rainbow;839019]Do they give off a stinky sweet odor if you squish them? :evil: If so, then I agree with [B]Marcha[/B] ......they are western conifer seed bugs aka cedar bugs aka stink bugs. :yuck:[/QUOTE]

I don't know if they stink when squished. I guide the little buggers onto a paper towel and release them outside. Hubby is the squisher in this household. Although....... the kitties were trying to get one. I'm sure they would have tried "squishing" it too. :rolleyes: With their teeth!! :yuck:

I'm glad we have Marcha and Bendy here to help identify unusual bugs. I only know the more common ones. Can't say I'm crazy about many.

rainbow October 23rd, 2009 10:26 PM

I don't squish them either but hubby will so that's how I know "the smell". :o

If they are stink bugs (cedar bugs) then they are completely harmless although totally disgusting. :yuck: