Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Change in bark - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4491)

bustersdad May 22nd, 2004 10:16 PM

Change in bark - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

:confused: I have a 3yo am-staff who has never had a health problem in th past. All his shots are up to date. My wife and i recently went away and we boarded him at a kennel that we have always used in the past with no problems. His problem is this, he does not bark normal. By this i mean his bark is raspy and high pitched like he has laryngitis or a sore throat. He is eating, drinking and acting normal and he did have his kc shot 4 months ago at his check-up. The kennel said nothing unusual happened during his stay and my father in-law said the same as he visited him everyday. It has been about a week now and was wondering is this something i should be concerned with? Thanx in advance for any advice.

Dee_petlover May 22nd, 2004 11:26 PM

Sometimes when dogs are in a kennel they will bark A LOT, and they may actually wear out their voice and get a sore throat from barking so much in that environment. My parents had a dog that this happened with before.
Myself, if I picked up my dog from the kennel and her voice was raspy and worn out, I would wait a few days before becoming concerned, after returning home it will probably return to normal. Of course, if anything else was out of the ordinary or it lasted a really long time, a visit to the vet wouldn't hurt.

bustersdad May 23rd, 2004 09:06 AM

It has been a week now and he doesn't bark alot at home so his vocal cords should be getting enough rest. Are there any home remedies for doggy sore throat?

glasslass May 24th, 2004 01:57 PM

Voice Changes

I don't know if you can compare dogs and cats symptoms, but we noticed our cat's voice had suddenly changed. She was losing her meow. We mentioned it to our vet when we took her in for her yearly vaccinations a couple days later and they did a blood test. Luckily, we had a recent blood test from about 3 months earlier when her teeth were cleaned. (They did that test because she's elderly.) Anyhow, by comparing the results, they were able to diagnose her as hyper-thyroid. We caught it early before any damage was done and she now is doing well on medication. Might not hurt to check. :)

petdr June 8th, 2004 01:15 PM

I have seen this many times. Some dogs will bark incessantly while kenneled, they don't do well in confinement. It is laryngitis and should improve over approximately one or two weeks with voice rest. If however there are other symptoms such as sneezing, eye/nasal discharge, fever, etc. then you are dealing with a viral or bacterial infection.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490