Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   new pup problems... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53560)

goodsuperg006 June 21st, 2008 03:20 PM

new pup problems...

hello everyone this is my first post and it's nice to meet you all...

my roomate an i recently rescued a german shepard mix "cinnamin"about a month ago though it is def. her dog and i'm just "aunty"( i have one of my own (a beagle) waiting for me at home). we were told that the pup was approx. 3 years old, she was a quiet,she was spayed, and good with people.

we took the pups information to a local vet that my roomate has gone to before with a cat that is unfortunately no longer around and found out that the pup is not even two...

also she was extremly bad with people very easily frightened and very very thin.she didn't know how to play at all and would almost attack any man that came within 5 to 10 feet of her or us. and as far as spaying goes there is no visible mark and we were hesitant to have the vet open her up just to check...

she also became nervous during bath time and would nip out of fear when you tried to pick her up or pet her in certain areas. she had spent most of her life in a crate without enough socialization, and was constanly yelled at.

thankfully my roomate and i have seen massive and almost miracoulous improvements in her and she is really a very sweet dog. she has now put on at least 10 pounds of muscle from having plenty of good high quality food and being excersized 3-4 hours everyday.

she still has problems with people though and thats why i'm writing. she tends to be a lil aggressive with guests at times and we just had quite a number of people over for about 5 consequitve days it was unavoidable as a father of one of our friends died and we helped room people so they could attend the funeral along with younger siblings.
she has developed diahrea and has pooped in the house twice this is very unlike her and she has never done anything like this before. also she has been marking <EVERYTHING> we are constantly doing laundry because she marked where our guest had slept or she will pee on discared clothing.

one of our guests(a supposed animal lover) wasn't very good with her and insisted on touching her face and trying to dominate her to prove that he was the alpha when we told him to stop or expressed our displeasure he basically just laughed it off and said it would help train her we told him thats not how we are training her especaily given her past abuse and fear of men but still he continued the disrespectful behavior. he is now no longer welcome till he learns some manners human and dog alike...

my male beagle never had these kind of issuses so i'm kind of at a loss.. we called a vet but they were less then helpful and we are thinking of waiting till mon. to take her in to our vet who is closed on the weekends but i was hoping someone with more experience then i have could let me know if they think this is serious and we need to get her in right away.

she hasn't puked, there's been no blood in her stool and she's drinking just as much though maybe eating just a lil bit less and is still quite the funny,impish lil pup we fell in love with

if you have any advice or have encountered any of this before please respond back
THX:thumbs up

Frenchy June 21st, 2008 03:24 PM

You sound like you're doing everything right with this dog. Do you still have visitors ? Maybe once this is over, give her a few days to calm down ? It sounds like stress to me.

Sabine June 21st, 2008 03:50 PM

[QUOTE=goodsuperg006;610767]

also she was extremly bad with people very easily frightened and very very thin.she didn't know how to play at all and would almost attack any man that came within 5 to 10 feet of her or us.[/quote]
First off: Thanks for rescuing this poor little soul and from the way you describe it, she did not have a very pleasent puppyhood and she definitely did not get socialized properly. It sounds as if she has fear biter tendencies and all you can do at this point it try to have her make as many positive experiences as possible. Take her to quiet places with quiet people at first and have them hold a treat in their hand. Important is, that your dog approaches the stranger and not the other way around. Let her take the treat out of the stranger's hand and once she does that without hesitation, ask a calm stranger to approach her sideways and without direct eye contact and offer a treat.

[quote] and as far as spaying goes there is no visible mark and we were hesitant to have the vet open her up just to check...[/quote]
Just sit back and wait for signs of a heat cycle, i.e. swollen vulva and spotting. If that happens she certainly is not spayed. Occasionally females will have an unnoticeable heat cycle and you will only recognize it by the behavior of males around her and her response to them. ;)

[quote]she also became nervous during bath time and would nip out of fear when you tried to pick her up or pet her in certain areas. she had spent most of her life in a crate without enough socialization, and was constanly yelled at.[/quote]
There's your answer: Lack of socialization and probably lots of corporal punishment through the previous owner. Your dog is not aggressive - she is simply traumatized.

[quote]
thankfully my roomate and i have seen massive and almost miracoulous improvements in her and she is really a very sweet dog. she has now put on at least 10 pounds of muscle from having plenty of good high quality food and being excersized 3-4 hours everyday.[/quote]
Good for you !! This means, that with patience and over time she will get better. Keep up the good work ! :thumbs up

[quote]she still has problems with people though and thats why i'm writing. she tends to be a lil aggressive with guests at times and we just had quite a number of people over for about 5 consequitve days it was unavoidable as a father of one of our friends died and we helped room people so they could attend the funeral along with younger siblings.
she has developed diahrea and has pooped in the house twice this is very unlike her and she has never done anything like this before. also she has been marking <EVERYTHING> we are constantly doing laundry because she marked where our guest had slept or she will pee on discared clothing.[/quote]
This to me sounds like major stress. She was simply overwhelmed and not ready for that much commotion yet. Don't buy into her marking things, but instead quietly remove soiled items and use an enzyme cleaner to clean "accident spots". If you ever have to expose her to stressful situations again, I would try to give her some Rescue Remedy and maybe spray some pheromone spray around the house. It does work for some pets.

[quote]one of our guests(a supposed animal lover) wasn't very good with her and insisted on touching her face and trying to dominate her to prove that he was the alpha when we told him to stop or expressed our displeasure he basically just laughed it off and said it would help train her we told him thats not how we are training her especaily given her past abuse and fear of men but still he continued the disrespectful behavior. he is now no longer welcome till he learns some manners human and dog alike...[/quote]
This man would NEVER EVER set foot inside my house EVER again ! He was simply rude and ignorant and probably was the cause for your dog's panic attacks and neurotic behavior (soiling, diarrhea) :frustrated:

[quote]my male beagle never had these kind of issuses so i'm kind of at a loss.. we called a vet but they were less then helpful and we are thinking of waiting till mon. to take her in to our vet who is closed on the weekends but i was hoping someone with more experience then i have could let me know if they think this is serious and we need to get her in right away.

she hasn't puked, there's been no blood in her stool and she's drinking just as much though maybe eating just a lil bit less and is still quite the funny,impish lil pup we fell in love with

if you have any advice or have encountered any of this before please respond back
THX:thumbs up[/QUOTE]
Dogs are individuals as you and I and every dog has a different mind. Your beagle probably is not as sensitive as this girl and if I was you, I would give her a bland diet of white, cooked rice with some cooked chicken in it for a day or two. If the diarrhea hasn't cleared up by then, I would see the vet. Always make sure that she stays hydrated and gets plenty of fluids as diarrhea dihydrates the body.

Good luck and please don't give up on her ! You've been doing a great job so far. I would highly recommend you buy "For the Love of a Dog" by Patricia McConnell. This book will help you understand how the dog's mind works and why dogs behave in certain ways. I've learned a lot from reading her books and can highly recommend them. :)