Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Off topic forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Yes! My sister may have found....... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10495)

lilith_rizel December 18th, 2004 06:57 PM

Yes! My sister may have found.......

Well, I was just talking to Joanie, my 19 yo sister. And she was in the gas station buying cigs, and gave the cashier her ID. The cashier looked at it, and asked if she was Al Gohman's younger sister. She told him that she has a 25 yo half-brother, but knows nothing about him! Well, it turns out that Al is 25. Now to make things all the more hopeful, the only Gohmans in 40 miles from there are my relatives. we think that we have finally found our half-brother! Although we have only known about him for a year and a half, I thought that I would never even come close to knowing who he could be, because my father refused to talk about him,, and my mother was the only other person who knew about him, and all she knew is that my dad abandoned him when he was only 2 yo. I am so happy that we may have found him. It is the best gift to me ever. I have always wanted a brother, and just knowing now that I could contact Al, and have tests done to see if we are infact related, puts happiness in my mind. It's all I wanted, is Just knowing that one day, we could meet. I am hoping that I will have the courage to contact him one day. But it may take me awhile. I am just afraid that I will be let down. Well, everyone just had to share the good news. I have been waiting for this for over a year now!!!!!

Sheriffmom December 18th, 2004 07:19 PM

Sounds like life is really going swell for you lilith!! That is fantastic news. You must be so excited.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)
Let us know about the Baby too.....
Sounds like Al could be an instant Uncle!!! :p

Bugsy December 18th, 2004 08:28 PM

Wow talk about serendipity... :crazy: I'm so thrilled for you.

Karin December 18th, 2004 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Bugsy]Wow talk about serendipity... :crazy: I'm so thrilled for you.[/QUOTE]

Exactly....please keep us updated..

Things like this happen for a reason..

twinmommy December 18th, 2004 09:00 PM

I love hearing stories like this!! Very cool!! Good luck and let us know what happens!! :)

coonlover December 18th, 2004 09:29 PM

She was definatly in the right place at the right time, theres a reason for everything :thumbs up

lilith_rizel December 18th, 2004 10:04 PM

Well, my sister lives aprox 1500 miles from here, so it would be hard for me to do anything right now, and I don't have any plans right now on going up to visit until sometime during the summer. But I will definately let everyone know if Joanie finds out something. I have been going on the online searches like ancestory.com and such, to see if I could find out anything. So hopefully I will figure something out. It is sure going to pass the time away, until I have the baby. So, now not only may I find my half-brother, but I won't have to think about having Judith all the time.

Rainy December 18th, 2004 10:16 PM

That is wild! Congratulations on finding info on your bro:) Also congrats on the baby! Here's hoping you have a quick,uneventful,painless delivery .Health to you and yours!
You should tell your sister to go back to that same gas station and give that person a note for your bro.Something simple with your email addy and an invite to say Hi with no pressure.:)

lilith_rizel December 18th, 2004 10:52 PM

Well, I have found out bit so far, by online search. I have found out that this Alan Gohman lives in St. Cloud MN. About 70 miles from my home town. And another search wil send me info when they find any on him. Does anyone know of a great site, that I could find out info right away? I know there used to be one that would give the parents name of the person you were searching for, as well. But I don't think they do that anymore.

Karin December 18th, 2004 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=lilith_rizel]Well, I have found out bit so far, by online search. I have found out that this Alan Gohman lives in St. Cloud MN. About 70 miles from my home town. And another search wil send me info when they find any on him. Does anyone know of a great site, that I could find out info right away? I know there used to be one that would give the parents name of the person you were searching for, as well. But I don't think they do that anymore.[/QUOTE]

If you can go back to the beginnings of this conference..in the "baby steps" so to speak..(pun intended) you will see the help I got locating a girl & good friend now, that I saw only once before...Cloe and I are in constant contact now because of this board.

There are tools out there to help you find anyone....but friends will network for you and accomplish even more and faster!

I've got to get back to pacing the floor now.

lilith_rizel December 19th, 2004 11:17 AM

Well, James has been very supportive so far. I keep telling him that I don't think I will find out much more, but he has told me that Joanie found out who our brother could possibly be for a reason, and that now that I know there is an Alan in St. Cloude, When I go home to visit, I can look him up, and make a phone call, to see if he knows anything, or even to see if he is willing to find out if he is my father's son. I know that it is true, and I could do this very easily, but I am just afraid that either he would have nothing to do with me and my sisters, or that we would go through all that testing for nothing. But I know eventually I will go through with it. If James and I wanted to spend over $100 we could become a member of this one site, and be able to search birth records, on your ancestors. And I have found out that they do have Alan Gohman on record and I even did a dob search with that, I just could't access it until I became a member. So I couldn't find out who the father was. :( But I am still going to search on the web to see if I can find out anything else. I have waited almost 21 years to have a brother, and I will eventually find out who he is, whether my father likes it or not.

raingirl December 19th, 2004 11:28 AM

i found some info about a Chad Allen Grohman who graduated from the University of South Dakota with a bachelor of science in health administration. And it states where they are from, and it says Cottage Falls, MN.

Here is the link. [URL=http://www.usd.edu/registrar/pdf/prog0502.pdf]http://www.usd.edu/registrar/pdf/prog0502.pdf[/URL]

I'll see if I can find anything else.

sujean December 19th, 2004 03:21 PM

Lilith: ancestry.com is a good site. i put in alan gohman's name and came up with this: [url]http://www.ancestry.com/home/searchResults.aspx?gsfn=Alan&gsln=Gohman[/url]

there is 14 day free trial for the site! good luck!

CyberKitten December 19th, 2004 03:28 PM

That is indeed a good news strory in this magical time of Christmas and Haukkah! I have an adopted brother whose mother recently sought him out and it was a great experience for all involved. He had never intended to meet his bio "family" (always said he "lucked out") but it was one of these wonderful stories where everyone involved did well and he found a half brother as well. (It around Christmas too a couple years ago).

I hope it is as wonderful an experience for you as it was for him (and us!)

Schwinn December 19th, 2004 09:45 PM

This is very exciting, Lilith! I would maybe try one of those online look-up websites (I have one at work I use all the time for customers. I'll try to remember to get it for you tomorrow) and, if you're nervous about contacting him in person or on the phone, maybe write a quick note with your contact details. That's about as unobtrusive as possible, and it leaves the ball in his court without pressure.

lilith_rizel December 20th, 2004 07:15 AM

Thanks guys. I will let you all know what I find out.

Schwinn December 20th, 2004 12:58 PM

This is what I use to track down US customers...

[URL=http://www.anywho.com/index.html]Anywho[/URL]

SpaceCase July 14th, 2012 04:22 AM

Finding Al

If Your Fathers Name Is Mitch then you just described me.

if your still trying to find me try [email]SpaceCase521@yahoo.com[/email]

if however you lost interest im ok with that to.

my last conversation with Mitch was less than helpfull, and was emotionaly painfull

pbpatti July 14th, 2012 08:58 AM

Hi SpaceCase welcome to pets.ca. Not sure if you noticed or not but this thread goes back to 2004. I sure hope that Lilith is getting emails from here and that if she is your Sis you can get together. Good Luck. If you all get back together it would be grerat if you could come back here and let us know!:thumbs up

SpaceCase October 30th, 2013 05:43 AM

Really wish it was kept up

I can wait some time, and can come back from time to time see. but I did notice 1 small difference at the time of the original post I would have been 30 years old.
Other than that the details are the same. My Father Mitchell "Mitch" Left when i was 2 years old. shortly there after I was adopted by my Aunt and Uncle. when i was 15 I found my mother and soon moved in with her. (not a very good decision) but they say hind sight is always 20/20.
Update...
My Mother Dolores (Lily) has since passed away earlier this year.
have spoken with him but my Father (Mitch) and I don't talk anymore, claims he wants proof that I am his. Since he still lives on the west coast, and I moved to the east coast, it proves to be more trouble than it is worth (not that I wouldn't love to find out the truth, just don't have the means to do it.) my Father really doesn't seem much interested in finding out either. So I decided to let that be that. if he wants to deny my existence then maybe he really isn't worth the trouble after all.