Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Some doggy product recommendations! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21401)

Caileag November 17th, 2005 04:43 PM

Some doggy product recommendations!

Hi!

Since becoming a dog owner (only a few months ago), I thought I would share some of the great things I have discovered (product wise) since having my dog.

1. The Culture Clash, by Jean Donaldson. This is a really great book; it really helped me understand my dog and her behaviour.

2. Chuckit. Caileag absolutely loves this thing and we think it's great too. It helps you throw the ball super far and you don't have to pick up a dirty, slobbery ball with your hands.

3. Dog water bottle. I am not sure of the exact name of this product (I am not at home right now), but I got two of them from Pet Smart. It's a plastic bottle you fill with water and then screw it onto a trough. You then squeeze the bottle and the water flows onto the trough, where your dog drinks. It avoids all of the hacking and choking from just trying to pour a regular water bottle into their mouth.

That's about all for now; feel free to share any of your recommendations as well! :D

Sadie's Mom November 20th, 2005 08:40 PM

We have a chuckit too, but the cheapy no name version that cost $3 and works just as well. I don't know what I'd do without it. Sadie's fetch OBSESSED. I throw like a girl (I AM a girl, duh...;) ) so a game of fetch can go on for hours. But with the chuckit (we call it her sling) I can throw more than twice as far.

The only thing is the amount of effort being put in decieving, because my right arm is always sore the next day after I've used her sling alot. So even though it feels like I'm not doing any work at all, my muscles tell me otherwise the next day.

twodogsandacat November 20th, 2005 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=Sadie's Mom]We have a chuckit too, but the cheapy no name version that cost $3 and works just as well.[/QUOTE]

Well not exactly. I bought a cheaper knock off at the All About Pets show after leaving ours on top of the SUV and then driving off.

We went to the canal with the new one and I threw the ball. Then I tapped it on the asphalt which is what I normally do to recall Dalton when playing with this toy. I tapped it twice and it broke. Next day went and bought the real thing for $15. The knock off was probably just as good - just don't hit anything with it.

It is however on of the best toys. the first summer we showed up at the canal with it we impressed a few other dog owners. Soon they started showing up with them. The official wave as we passed each other became raising the chuck it iinto the air and then waving it. Great toy and I'm sure it made somebody very rich.

Prin November 20th, 2005 10:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My doggies' new favorites are the cuz squeaky toys. They're hard rubber so they don't break too easily and once you cut off the feet and push the squeaker inside the ball, it makes for hours of safe fun... Boo likes to bite down on the squeaker inside and he likes how the hole where the squeaker was sucks his lips in. He can sit there for an hour just sucking in his lip and then releasing it.:D My doggies only like the orange ones. I think Boo can see orange because he's really drawn to it. (They make them in all sorts of colors)

twodogsandacat November 20th, 2005 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]My doggies' new favorites are the cuz squeaky toys. They're hard rubber so they don't break too easily and once you cut off the feet and push the squeaker inside the ball, it makes for hours of safe fun... Boo likes to bite down on the squeaker inside and he likes how the hole where the squeaker was sucks his lips in. He can sit there for an hour just sucking in his lip and then releasing it.:D My doggies only like the orange ones. I think Boo can see orange because he's really drawn to it. (They make them in all sorts of colors)[/QUOTE]

These things are awesome and tough too. We did lose a foot though. As with any toy it should only be used when being monitored - just in case. Never thought of cutting the feet off.

Prin November 20th, 2005 11:11 PM

Oh, ya. I actually usually wait for Boo to take them off for me. One day I forgot and I came home and found the cuz with one foot lying beside it. I panicked and searched for the other foot. Lucky for me, Boo's a shredder, not an eater.

Oh and you push the squeaky in or you'll go mad.:crazy:

Caileag November 25th, 2005 10:38 AM

I'm going to pick up some of those cuz squeaky toys this weekend! Great doggy Christmas gifts!

I have another product that I really like; great for dogs that are big chewers. It's a plastic chicken flavoured bone by Nylabone. It is really good...Caileag is a big chewer and she just loves this thing. She chews it every day and it is still in decent condition. We bought her two more for Christmas!

Lucky Rescue November 25th, 2005 01:09 PM

Prin, where did you get those? I'm always looking for squeaky things that Chloe cant' totally destroy in 30 seconds!

Roxy's_MA November 25th, 2005 04:02 PM

Cuz Squeaky Toys

If they chew off the feet, does the toy still squeak?

Prin November 25th, 2005 05:33 PM

Yes, they still squeak because the feet are solid, not hollow. So when they chew them off, the ball part is still totally intact.

Lucky, I've seen them all over (wherever they have kongs and stuff).. They sell them at Mondou and I know Woofers has them too...

Copper'sMom November 29th, 2005 01:39 PM

ooooh I was looking at those cuz squeaky toys!! I never bothered because I figured, those feet would be gone in 30 seconds and the rest would be picked apart within 2 minutes. Maybe I will give them a try!;)
[QUOTE]Boo likes to bite down on the squeaker inside and he likes how the hole where the squeaker was sucks his lips in. He can sit there for an hour just sucking in his lip and then releasing it.[/QUOTE]
LOL! Copper does this too with his kong!!!

StaceyB November 29th, 2005 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=Roxy's_MA] does the toy still squeak?[/QUOTE]

That squeak is the worst sound

Roxy's_MA November 29th, 2005 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]That squeak is the worst sound[/QUOTE]

I know, but Roxy loves the squeak. With one of her toys, I will hold it in my hand squeaking it, and Roxy's bottom jaw actually starts to quiver she wants it so bad. I am actually looking for really annoying squeaky toys that she won't de-squeak in a matter of minutes.

StaceyB November 29th, 2005 03:05 PM

There are some toys and treats that I suggest to my students that I have found are very good.

1. Egg Babies- stuffed toy with a belly full of ball shaped stuffed squeaky toys that they can take out. There are around 5 different ones that you can get.

2. Material dog stuffed toys- These ones have little or no stuffing but are quite plush. The squeaker is in its own package and can be replaced. The toy comes with 1 or 4 extra squeakers depending on the size of the toy. They bring out several new toys for christmas.

Double action chew made by Nylabone- This one is great for very heavy chewers. It comes in 3 differnt sizes.

Sterilized bones stuffed- You can wash in your dish washer

Treats
Lambs lung
Stuffed hoofs

jessi76 November 29th, 2005 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]That squeak is the worst sound[/QUOTE]

omg, it really really is! Tucker chewed off the feet, then broke the squeeker and OH HAPPY DAY! I think we averaged about a bottle of excedrin a week between us (my bf & I) listening to the Cuz ball. It should COME WITH a headache reliever, just beCuz.

PetFriendly November 29th, 2005 06:00 PM

[QUOTE=StaceyB]2. Material dog stuffed toys- ... They bring out several new toys for christmas.[/QUOTE]

And if you wait until the second week of January you can buy them for 75% off! Its not like the dog cares the toy is red and green :crazy:

Puppyluv November 29th, 2005 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=Prin]My doggies' new favorites are the cuz squeaky toys. They're hard rubber so they don't break too easily and once you cut off the feet and push the squeaker inside the ball, it makes for hours of safe fun... Boo likes to bite down on the squeaker inside and he likes how the hole where the squeaker was sucks his lips in. He can sit there for an hour just sucking in his lip and then releasing it.:D My doggies only like the orange ones. I think Boo can see orange because he's really drawn to it. (They make them in all sorts of colors)[/QUOTE]
I just got Layla one of those (the big devil) about a month ago, and she loves it! It's the only squeeky toy to last longer than 5 min!!!! I'm a huge fan

Prin November 29th, 2005 09:05 PM

[QUOTE=Roxy's_MA]I will hold it in my hand squeaking it, and Roxy's bottom jaw actually starts to quiver she wants it so bad.[/QUOTE]That is such a funny image!:D

Caileag December 19th, 2005 03:54 PM

Well, I went out and bought a Cuz...let me tell you Caileag loves it! She isn't strong enough to squeak it yet (I bought the big one), so when we sqeak it for her she makes this funny barking/whining noise!

She hasn't chewed off the feet yet, but I am sure that will only come in time! :D

SchnauzerGirl December 19th, 2005 04:49 PM

I went and bought a cuz and I have never seen my dog react to any squeaky toy like that before! He was hilarious and couldn't get enough of it! I found out that that medium cuz is too "hard" for him to squeak on his own though because he has a "soft mouth" on his toys so I went and bought the small one for him so that he can squeak to his hearts content. He won't get that toy till x-mas though!

Thanks for everyone's wonderful suggestions! Anyone got anymore?

StaceyB December 20th, 2005 12:04 AM

pet supply house has those things cheap.

[url]www.petsupplyhouse.com[/url]

Prin December 20th, 2005 01:38 AM

I think I could spend forever on that website... They have so many toys! I didn't know they made the Cool Kongs in different sizes (they're the beasties' favorite).

Oh and just so you know, the "dino cuz" toys are very soft rubber, not like the good and bad cuz ones.

SchnauzerGirl December 20th, 2005 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my doggy's favorite toy... I counted how many he has gone through and we are up to #5. There should be two antenna on this caterpillar though, the other one got ripped off when we were playing tug o war. I also have only been able to find this toy at Zellers. I think I should buy them by the case...

gomez January 17th, 2006 05:35 PM

Well we just CUZ over here in the UK -

WHAT DO THEY PUT IN THESE THINGS?????

Gomez has not stopped playing for about 4 hours - so far no destructions and both feet still intact... he has the jaws of a Rottweiler, so I'm sure it's a matter of time, but WOW, it's like crack for dogs!

Oh, and the squeaky does not seem to annoy me so much as some others...

I think he'll sleep well tonight!

rivers January 17th, 2006 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=SchnauzerGirl]This is my doggy's favorite toy... I counted how many he has gone through and we are up to #5. There should be two antenna on this caterpillar though, the other one got ripped off when we were playing tug o war. I also have only been able to find this toy at Zellers. I think I should buy them by the case...[/QUOTE]

This reminds me of the ad for Petsmart, with the little sausagedog and his favourite looong toy that he runs around with. The owner removes the old one, and takes him to the store to get another one! It is so cute. Have you seen this ad on tv?

SchnauzerGirl January 17th, 2006 06:41 PM

I haven't seen that ad yet :(
We are now on #6... must see if I can find another back up toy for when the other one breaks apart!

Beautygirl January 18th, 2006 05:08 PM

[QUOTE=rivers]This reminds me of the ad for Petsmart, with the little sausagedog and his favourite looong toy that he runs around with. The owner removes the old one, and takes him to the store to get another one! It is so cute. Have you seen this ad on tv?[/QUOTE]

Our last dog Beauty had a dog like the one in that commercial, except it was brown. It looked just like her....well before she chewed all the stuffing out of it.

angie79 January 18th, 2006 05:30 PM

I saw those feet guys and they are over 15$ and i wouldn't call that a squeek but a fart!!! cooper is a distroyer, not with the normal kongs but the kongs with slits distroyed in 3 mins..
but yesterday i saw this green ball was 15$
west paw design says if it gets damaged send it back!!!!

so i bought it!!!! we will see!!!