Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Oral cancer (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57169)

tiptoe October 4th, 2008 02:54 AM

Oral cancer

1 Attachment(s)
My cat Snowball, who is 15 years old, has just been diagnosed with oral cancer. Apparently there is a tumor under/on her tongue. This cat is the absolute love of my life and as hard as it was to hear, I'm glad I now have a name to her problem instead of just unanswered questions. The vet seems to think that it developed since her last visit (a month ago) but I think it's been about 2 months because that's when her eating habits changed (her eating slowed down and I had to switch her to wet cat food so it was easier for her).

As much as I don't want to believe it, I know the end is near for her and I'm watching carefully for the day that I have to do something about it. I cried pretty much all day yesterday but then kind of woke up and realized that she's not gone yet and I need to enjoy her while I still can.

I'm wondering what the usual time-line is for something like this. I don't want to be constantly thinking that she'll be gone tomorrow... so I just need some sort of time given to me. Do cats with oral cancer generally last a year? a week? a month? I know each case is different and I am constantly watching to make sure she's still purring (she is [I]such[/I] a purr-er), eating, pooping, and drinking... but I feel like I need [B]something[/B] so I don't go crazy here. :cry:

Any info would be much appreciated. :)

Winston October 4th, 2008 05:44 AM

OMG shes a beauty! I am sorry I dont know anything about Oral cancer but I think that you should enjoy every moment you have. As long as she is not in pain and acting like her normal self...just take it one day at a time!

You could add some water to her food to make it easier for eating! The wet food is much better for her overall health anyway.

Cats have this funny way of knowing when something is wrong...so try to be happy for her and make her time special!

Good Luck

Cindy

14+kitties October 4th, 2008 06:29 AM

Ditto what Winston said. And :grouphug: to you and your Snowball.

chico2 October 4th, 2008 07:11 AM

Oh,a little odd-eyed beautiful girl,just like my Vinnie(boy):lovestruck:
Is there not a chance the tumor can be removed??
I believe Snowball will let you know when it's time for her to go.
You obviously love her very much and as heartbreaking as it is,the decision to let her go will have to be made when life is no longer a pleasure to her.
I would not try to guess how long she might have,just want to send :goodvibes:for both of you:fingerscr

kathryn October 4th, 2008 07:15 PM

I guess surgery is not an option?

I dunno.. if it developed that rapidly it might not be good. They didn't give you an option of chemo or anything?

I mean, I'd think that the mortality from something like this would be more that the tumor got so big they couldn't eat vs. the cancer actually killing them.

So, as long as she's eating pretty okay, I'd have high hopes for her. I mean, I know absolutely NOTHING about this kinda stuff. But, my cat has a Myspace (LOL!) and some of his kitty friends on there have had cancer. The one had a large tumor on his face and managed to live a fairly normal life for a while..I guess over a year. Eventually it was just too much and he passed away.

So, I mean just from knowing pets with cancer I know that if you just do what you can to manage it, whatever that may be, you can extend their life for a comfortable few months in the least.

But yeah, I'm really just saying this from what I've heard from my cats friends who've had cancer.

Best of luck to you & Snowball. She's very pretty :lovestruck: