Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question about shedding (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3652)

Daiana March 25th, 2004 03:10 PM

Question about shedding

Ok - let me start off by asking for your fogiveness for the stupid question I'm about to ask..............

How often does a dog shed it's fur?

I've had many dogs in my lifetime, but they've always been dogs that have coats that don't shed (this was my mom's top requirement for even allowing us to have a dog). Now I have a dog that sheds, and it doesn't seem to stop! I was told they change their coats once a season, but I know for a fact that my dog is healthy, and his coat doesn't seem to stop shedding. Is that the way it's supposed to be? He's a Chihuahua, so it's not like we're talking huge fur balls or anything, but wearing black clothes is becoming less of an option in my wardrobe!!!:D

I'm almost embarrased for asking, but I just gotta know!!

P.S. - I love this place and I think you guys are all terrrrrrrrific!!!!

Iggette March 25th, 2004 03:25 PM

Hi there daiana.... I know nothing about Chihuahua's but I have a german shepherd that sheds 24/7 although in the spring I notice she sheds heavier

[QUOTE]He's a Chihuahua, so it's not like we're talking huge fur balls or anything, but wearing black clothes is becoming less of an option in my wardrobe!!![/QUOTE]

lol@quote

In my house clothes are less of an option with 8 cats....lmao

Chany March 25th, 2004 03:28 PM

Hi Daiana, As far as I know twice a year, Spring and Fall. But I think they lose hair every day just as humans do. At least my dog does. We vacuum twice a week to keep up with her otherwise all I hear is ( IT'S EVERYWHERE!! ) So kids do it once and I do it once but I think its something you just have to live with. I heard it gets worse after spaying and/or neutering. I hope thats wrong because Abbey gets fixed next month. ( Shudder ;) ) Oh well gotta love'em;)

mona_b March 25th, 2004 03:31 PM

No need to ask foregiveness silly...LOL

It's a good question.

Dogs usually shed up to twice a year...My guys shed all year round.:rolleyes: ...It's worse in the spring when the winter coat is coming out.You can grab it in clumps.I'm sure you can knit a sweater with all of it.LOL

Dogs do shed.Some more then others.Your breed does shed.

Here are a list of breeds that shed little or not at all.

[url]http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm[/url]

What food are you feeding?Are you brushing him?

Awwwww,thank you for the compliment...
:D

Daiana March 25th, 2004 03:40 PM

I brush him out at least once a week. He's on Royal Canin dog food right now (the kind especially for small breeds). I heard that it was supposed to be better than Nutrience, which was what his puppy food was. He's almost 11 months now, so when it was time to start switching him from puppy food to adult food, I tried to do some research and read that Royal Canin was supposed to be good. It can be so confusing though because all dog food manufacturers claim that theirs is the best. But I do know that it doesn't have the BHA/BHT preservative in it that's supposed to be horrible. That's good at least, right?

Luba March 25th, 2004 03:56 PM

I have gotten my Sadie used to the vacuum and Lord knows with a collie that is a blessing!!!

The vacuum we have is adjustable on power strength and very quiet so she loves it, plays with it a bit and just sits and lets me suck the loose hair right outta her!!

Give it a try.

Also, may depend on the way you are brushing and the type of brush you use. You brush the opposite way of the hair growth to get the loose trapped hair out from the underside of the coat.

The final brushing should be the same direction of the coat.

:D

chico2 March 26th, 2004 09:07 AM

With three cats one of them white,I am relieved my floors are wood,area rugs are quickly covered in a thin layer of white fur...The Swiffer dry sweeper is excellent and gets a workout twice a day..to be followed by Swiffer wet to clean up 12 sets of dirty paw-prints after an outing!!!
Clothes? We don't wear any unless we go out:D

mona_b March 26th, 2004 09:34 AM

chico :eek: :eek: :eek:

I hope the blinds are closed....LOL

Spoiled March 26th, 2004 09:37 AM

Your joking, right!?:eek:

chico2 March 27th, 2004 01:14 PM

Well yes,Spoiled:p It would be a scary thought!!!!
We are a bit off the wall,but not THAT much:D

Luba March 27th, 2004 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
woo hoo Anita

Shake what your mama gave ya

doggy lover March 27th, 2004 09:54 PM

:D SHAKE IT BABY!!!!
My last dog (Travis, see in pet cemetary) was a Bernese MD crossed with a German Sheppard and if you want to talk about fur I could tell you some stories ever broken open an egg and find a hair in it! He shed all year round the worst in the spring, many a bird lined his nest with Travis hair. He shed again in the fall but not as bad, he has been gone almost 3 months and we still find fur. I think there will always be Travis fur bunnies in our lives and that is not a joke..

scooby7965 April 1st, 2004 07:55 PM

Hello,
I am new to the list. I think maybe I can help.

I have 3 dogs and 3 cats and hardly any fur!! I like to add a wonderful product to their diet that really makes a difference.
It is called Artic Vigor and it is a marine oil with all the good things in it.

I use to spend a good part of the day getting rid of all the fur in my home. Not to mention my clothes. Now It is only 2 x a year.
2 weeks at the end of February and a couple of weeks in mid August from the heat.

Check it out! It is a wonderful product.

Chany April 1st, 2004 08:00 PM

Hello scooby7965, I have 2 questions where can we get this Artic Vigor because it sounds great, and also where exactly are you from? I have never heard of that place before and my curiousity is extremely peaked ;) .

scooby7965 April 2nd, 2004 08:13 AM

Hi Chany,
I am in Quebec, west end heading towards Ontario.

[url]http://www.holesome.com/naturalkravings/Products/arctic_vigor_marine_oil.htm[/url]
is where you can find the details, most prov. have reps......not sure where you are located.

Chany April 2nd, 2004 09:39 AM

Thanks! I'm gonna have to check it out!
I live in Saskatchewan, nothing but land and skies :( . No, actually its not bad because I think I may be claustrophobic because I don't like crowds :) . So I guess it works!!hahaha
Are you in a small town or a big center?

scooby7965 April 2nd, 2004 05:50 PM

Small Town. It is about 40 minutes from downtown Montreal.

What type of dog food are feeding? That ususally has a lot to do with the shedding thing also.

Chany April 3rd, 2004 10:22 AM

They're on the RAW diet. No I don't find the hair that bad but hubby does :p . If he even sees one on the counter he gets a lttle squeamish thinking that we're eating it right away :rolleyes:
See he doesn't believe dogs belong in the house(farmboy) so basically he's a pretty good guy for letting us have 2 in the house!
So we try to accomodate him by not letting any hair get around the house. ;) Just thought if there was some really good product out there I'd be willing to try it out. :)