Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dissolvable Stitches - How Long? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67061)

Karu'sMama November 29th, 2009 08:34 PM

Dissolvable Stitches - How Long?

I was reading the post below about the dog having the go to the vet for infected stitches and it kinda brought up the question. How long does it take for the inner dissolvable stitches to break down?

My pup was spay and had an umbilical hernia repaired Nov. 11th. I can still very much feel the stitches under her skin. And I've been a bit worried about it, but I read somewhere it could it took take up to 6 months for them to dissolve so I haven't rush to the vet. Whats the average time frame for these to go away and when should I start really worrying?

hazelrunpack November 29th, 2009 08:38 PM

I was trying to remember how long it took for our girls...but it's been 4 years since we've had a spay here and I can't recall... :o I'm pretty sure it was more than a month, though. Maybe call the vet tomorrow and ask? I'll bet the receptionist or a tech can tell you for sure! :thumbs up

rainbow November 29th, 2009 08:40 PM

Good question but I have no idea. :D

We have had them used on the fuzzbutts here too but we never had any problems with them so didn't think anything about it. :o

Karu'sMama November 29th, 2009 09:02 PM

Its really stupid but I'm trying to avoid looking like the crazy lady that calls that vet about everything. My other dog had his rear dew claws removed at the same time. He had some problems, first his stitches started bleeding so I had to call about that. Then I realized a few days later they gave me the wrong leash, so I had to call for that. Then he ripped a stitch so I had to call for that and ended back in the vet, which the vet was so awesome didn't charge for the antibiotics. I should've asked her then but I forgot.

the gang November 29th, 2009 09:06 PM

it could take up to 6 months to heal for inside stiches, very much like us humans, hope this helps brenda and the pins

mona_b November 29th, 2009 10:26 PM

It could take any where from 10 days to 6 weeks..It all depends on what type of sutures they used. Are you sure it's the stitches? it could just be the way it's healing from the stitches.

As for humans, that also depends on the sutures..I had a total hysterectomy in May..I asked my gyno how long before they dissolve..She said about 6 weeks..It's been 6 months now and It feels a bit bumpy to the touch.The scar from the outside stitches has a few bumy parts..LOL.She said it's normal and it's not the stitches as they are long gone....:)

Karu'sMama November 30th, 2009 08:58 PM

Fairly sure its stitches, could be just how it is together though. If it just how it was reconnected how long for that to go back to normal?

kathryn December 1st, 2009 06:23 PM

On average it takes 4-6 weeks for sutures to dissolve.

There is nothing that can be done for inner sutures anyways... they can't open someone back up to take stitches out :p

It's normal to be able to feel them.

mona_b December 1st, 2009 08:58 PM

It depends. Once they dissolve, there is a healing process to where they reconnected...It may take a bit longer because she also had the umbilical hernia repaired..But don't worry, she will be fine....:thumbs up