Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Coyote and TAS (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=61051)

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 11:51 AM

Coyote and TAS

I am surprised that this topic has not been brought up. I am sure everyone has heard of the coyote jumped a fence, attacked and carried off someone's dog.

Toronto Animal Services wants to hire someone to go, hunt it down and shoot it.

There is debate going on whether to humanely trap it and relocating it vs shooting it.

From what I have heard and read, most of the public are favoring towards humanly trapping it and having it relocated, rather then shooting it. And personally I feel that it should not be killed either.

And I just have to throw this out there. I can't believe that an animal welfare organization has this way of thinking. I could go on, but won't.

ACO22

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 11:59 AM

[QUOTE=ACO22;751137]I am surprised that this topic has not been brought up. I am sure everyone has heard of the coyote jumped a fence, attacked and carried off someone's dog.

[COLOR="Red"]Most people in the Toronto area, a lot of people on the board are from other areas.[/COLOR]

Toronto Animal Services wants to hire someone to go, hunt it down and shoot it.

[COLOR="Red"]They didn't actually say that from what I have read, but as you said below "there is a debate on".[/COLOR]

There is debate going on whether to humanely trap it and relocating it vs shooting it.

From what I have heard and read, most of the public are favoring towards humanly trapping it and having it relocated, rather then shooting it. And personally I feel that it should not be killed either.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

The one downside to trapping and relocation, the majority of the times the animal will flounder. Coyotes in particular are very territorial and don't like interlopers.

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751139]The one downside to trapping and relocation, the majority of the times the animal will flounder. Coyotes in particular are very territorial and don't like interlopers.[/QUOTE]

I believe in this case, wildlife experts would be involved in the relocating. It would be relocated to a area where it would thrive.

I do agree with you that most animals die when relocated, but in these cases you have to look at the situation, knowledge of area, population, etc. There are alot of success stories of animals that have been relocated. I mean, being relocated at least it has a %50 chance of survivual..rather then just shoot him, whereas it gets no chance at all. All because it was doing what it is suppose too do.

Most animals are territorial and no matter where they are will encounter territorial issues. It is their way of life.

My issue is that this is a wild animal. This is not some dog that all of a sudden is agrressive and attacking other animals. This animal is doing what it is suppose to do...which is hunt. And because it unfortuanly attacked someones dog, people want it dead.

My heart goes out to the family, but I hope that this coyote is not shot.

ACO22

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:21 PM

Interesting topic ACO22.

Personally I would not like to see the coyote shot however I also look at the other side of the coin.

If a dog got out and killed another - would this dog be considered for re-location? I guess the arguement could be that the coyote killed out of survival. I am really not sure how I feel about it.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Shooting the animal - I say no. Humanly trapping and euthanizing humanely - I think so.

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=ACO22;751145]I believe in this case, wildlife experts would be involved in the relocating. It would be relocated to a area where it would thrive.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]There is no such place that exists ACO22. Wildlife just doesn't work like that unfortunately :sad:[/COLOR]

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Were they able to trap the coyote, which is no easy task, other coyotes would move into the area and you would have the same situation all over again. There was a statement from one of the wildlife companies, a highly respected one and he said the exact same thing.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751147]Were they able to trap the coyote, which is no easy task, other coyotes would move into the area and you would have the same situation all over again. There was a statement from one of the wildlife companies, a highly respected one and he said the exact same thing.[/QUOTE]

Very true. They say that when an animal is removed, dies or is relocated, others will battle to acquire the 'new' territory. It can be a vicious circle either way.

I truly believe however that this animal must be removed as he/she is aware that there are 'easy' meals. I am concerned about the cat colonies which will also suffer such fates.

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751146]Interesting topic ACO22.

Personally I would not like to see the coyote shot however I also look at the other side of the coin.

If a dog got out and killed another - would this dog be considered for re-location? I guess the arguement could be that the coyote killed out of survival. I am really not sure how I feel about it.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Shooting the animal - I say no. Humanly trapping and euthanizing humanely - I think so.[/QUOTE]

If they are intent on ridding the area of this particlar coyote, that would be the only humane option BenMax.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:29 PM

Is there a wildlife animal sanctuary somewhere in Ontario? This could be an excellent option and solution.

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751149]Very true. They say that when an animal is removed, dies or is relocated, others will battle to acquire the 'new' territory.

[COLOR="Red"]That is absolutely true[/COLOR]

I truly believe however that this animal must be removed as he/she is aware that there are 'easy' meals. I am concerned about the cat colonies which will also suffer such fates.[/QUOTE]

If they dither long enough in coming to a decision, then Spring will have Sprung and all little critters will be out of hibernation.

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 12:32 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751146]Personally I would not like to see the coyote shot however I also look at the other side of the coin.

Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Shooting the animal - I say no. Humanly trapping and euthanizing humanely - I think so.[/QUOTE]

Can I ask why you think it deserves to be shot?

No, a coyote dog are two different animals. Yes, they share alot of physical traits/intelligance...one is wild, while the other is domestic.

ACO22

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:33 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751153]If they dither long enough in coming to a decision, then Spring will have Sprung and all little critters will be out of hibernation.[/QUOTE]

You are right. Gosh - tough topic. I hope that something can be found as an alternative. I have to tell you though - if it were my dog that was scooped up, I don't know if I could answer this objectively.

Animal sanctuary would be great.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:35 PM

[QUOTE=ACO22;751154]Can I ask why you think it deserves to be shot?

No, a coyote dog are two different animals. Yes, they share alot of physical traits/intelligance...one is wild, while the other is domestic.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Not shot ACO22. I don't think this at all. Euthanized humanly I am tettering on. I have to tell you I really am not easy with answering this with certainty. It is a tough question.

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751155]Animal sanctuary would be great.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

ACO22

Love4himies February 25th, 2009 12:37 PM

I don't think BenMax said shot, but to be humanely trapped and euthanised.

I am of the opinion that when you live where wildlife is, then you adjust your ways. That includes insuring your pets are safe. I have moved from the city to the country and have shifted my cat's freedom outside to address such incidents.

I think the coyote should live.

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751152]Is there a wildlife animal sanctuary somewhere in Ontario? This could be an excellent option and solution.[/QUOTE]

There are, but they are few and far between, I don't think that they would take "nuisance" animals.

On the other hand if a coyote were hurt, they would examine the animal to see the extent of it's injuries, then decide whether that animal is fit enough to go back to the wild, if not they would try to find a sanctuary that would accept.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;751158]I don't think BenMax said shot, but to be humanely trapped and euthanised.

I am of the opinion that when you live where wildlife is, then you adjust your ways. That includes insuring your pets are safe. I have moved from the city to the country and have shifted my cat's freedom outside to address such incidents.

I think the coyote should live.[/QUOTE]

Good point L4H. See - I am totally wishy washy on this one. You got me ACO22 - this is one subject that I really don't know where I stand.:shrug:

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 12:40 PM

Sorry BenMax at first I thought you meant shooting it. I now know you don't want that. I agree. And if it came down to shooting it or humanely PTS. I vote Humanely PTS.

ACO22

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:40 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751159]There are, but they are few and far between, I don't think that they would take "nuisance" animals.

On the other hand if a coyote were hurt, they would examine the animal to see the extent of it's injuries, then decide whether that animal is fit enough to go back to the wild, if not they would try to find a sanctuary that would accept.[/QUOTE]

Since there is so much controversy maybe it's worth a try. It would get them in the paper and sometimes they need this publicity to help with fundraising.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=ACO22;751162]Sorry BenMax at first I thought you meant shooting it. I now know you don't want that. I agree. And if it came down to shooting it or humanely PTS. I vote Humanely PTS.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Don't think anything of it. It's ok no apology needed.:thumbs up

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:42 PM

If it were my dog, it would be difficult to make a non-biased decision, I would be heartbroken.

On the other hand, they are wild animals doing what they are suppose to do to survive, they know no different, it is what they are taught as pups.

Thinking about I'm with L4H........he lives.

NoahGrey February 25th, 2009 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=Love4himies;751158]I am of the opinion that when you live where wildlife is, then you adjust your ways. That includes insuring your pets are safe. I think the coyote should live.[/QUOTE]

Thank you and I agree. I am soo tired of hearing people bitch and moan about the wildlife in their area/backyards.

Expecially when they back onto a forest or a ravine. It's like you choose to make your home there. Yeah, your little house...just took aches of forest and ravine away from the wildlife, now having to sturggle finding shelter, food,etc. just annoys me.

ACO22

Love4himies February 25th, 2009 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751165]If it were my dog, it would be difficult to make a non-biased decision, I would be heartbroken.

[/QUOTE]

I think my decision would be different had it been my dog too. I do know that I would still have some compassion for the coyote as killing the coyote would not bring my dog back.

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 12:55 PM

I think they should leave him/her be, BUT it is YuppyLand in that area, so that probably will not be the case.

BenMax February 25th, 2009 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Chris21711;751175]I think they should leave him/her be, BUT it is YuppyLand in that area, so that probably will not be the case.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully someone in YuppyLand will stand up and make sense out of all this.

Love4himies February 25th, 2009 02:31 PM

[QUOTE=BenMax;751222]Hopefully someone in YuppyLand will stand up and make sense out of all this.[/QUOTE]

We could only hope so, but they are so me me me me me me me, that they think the world should revolve around them and their family.

babymomma February 25th, 2009 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=ACO22;751169]
Expecially when they back onto a forest or a ravine. It's like you choose to make your home there. Yeah, your little house...just took aches of forest and ravine away from the wildlife, now having to sturggle finding shelter, food,etc. just annoys me.

ACO22[/QUOTE]

Well, I moved in the woods about 13 years ago. We have 5 acres of land. My dad chose to take about 1 acre and use it as a yard and whatnot, but the other 4 acres is left alone as forest and he animals are free to stay there. I complain about the coyotees all the time. We chose to move here, 13 years ago, But coyotess chose to come to my province just a few years back. I didnt choose to live in a coyote populated area. Coyotes are causing Species that are native to NFLD to die off. The almost extinct pine martin is being killed off. They are coming into rural areas and killing pets.

I dont like them, i mean i like them, I dont think they deserve to be shot, But something has to be done about them. I do not feel comfortable Going outside like I used to. Coyotees have ytaken over nfld. You can see the poor things dead in the ditch because they come out into the road. I too Am not sure where i stand.

But I have to ask you something. What about the coyotees that kill children in there own yards? Do you think they still deserve to live? They are doing something they were taught to do. :shrug:

BenMax February 25th, 2009 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=babymomma;751230]Well, I moved in the woods about 13 years ago. We have 5 acres of land. My dad chose to take about 1 acre and use it as a yard and whatnot, but the other 4 acres is left alone as forest and he animals are free to stay there. I complain about the coyotees all the time. We chose to move here, 13 years ago, But coyotess chose to come to my province just a few years back. I didnt choose to live in a coyote populated area. Coyotes are causing Species that are native to NFLD to die off. The almost extinct pine martin is being killed off. They are coming into rural areas and killing pets.

I dont like them, i mean i like them, I dont think they deserve to be shot, But something has to be done about them. I do not feel comfortable Going outside like I used to. Coyotees have ytaken over nfld. You can see the poor things dead in the ditch because they come out into the road. I too Am not sure where i stand.

But I have to ask you something. What about the coyotees that kill children in there own yards? Do you think they still deserve to live? They are doing something they were taught to do. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Studies show that the coyote does not prey on humans - they are not 'taught' to do that. Also, since man has decided to move into areas that are more rural it is only normal that they also move due to the lack of space.

Man is greedy and have caused this imbalance - so the question is why are they the ones to pay the price for what WE have done.

The choice to move in wooded areas is ours - and we must deal with the animals that co-habitate with us. There are measures one can take to prevent them from causing imbalance in our lives - move and give them back their way of life.

Coyotes have taken over Nfld?

14+kitties February 25th, 2009 03:25 PM

I don't know. I tend to err on the coyotes' side. When people know they are in an area abutting an area where there is wildlife then people should take the initiative to not let a pet outside without supervision. We have a small fenced in area for Keesha. I also take her out on her leash if we go out the other door. Sam goes out by herself but she is bigger than most coyotes. I am pretty sure she would scare them off. We had a coyote in our side yard last month. Hubby went outside and it took off. I know the one that is being talked about is a little "tamer". Who made it that way?

As for relocating........ it would have to be moved to a spot where there were no other coyotes. They are pack animals. They do not accept "interlopers" easily if I am not mistaken. If that is not possible then the most humane way to do it would be to trap and euthanize. I have not heard of any children being attacked in their yards by a coyote. Most of them are terrified of humans. :shrug:

Chris21711 February 25th, 2009 04:08 PM

[QUOTE=babymomma;751230] But coyotess chose to come to my province just a few years back.

[COLOR="Purple"]Coyotes didn't choose to come to Nfld. babymomma, you live on a Island. They were brought there by MAN.[/COLOR]

But I have to ask you something. What about the coyotees that kill children in there own yards? Do you think they still deserve to live? They are doing something they were taught to do. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

Personally I have never heard of an attack on humans by coyotes, the ODD wolf attack but not coyote.

chico2 February 25th, 2009 05:46 PM

We humans are very quick at yelling "kill"or calling wild animals pests as soon as they become an inconvenience,what gives us the right:confused:

Granted,this poor dogs demise was more than an inconvenience,however had this tiny dog been watched properly this would not have happened.
The owner said he was right there,but I somehow doubt that.

The wooded ravine area this happened,has probably been Coyote territory long before humans moved in,wild animals IMO,only adds to the beauty of living rural or in this case,in a wooded ravine.
I would say,leave him be,soon the area will be crawling with prey and with no Coyotes around,people will be complaining about rabbits eating their gardens:evil:
I have even seen Coyotes here in a very built up old area,I was thrilled when I saw one,the same way as when I saw a little Fox.
People have to learn to respect wild-life and look after their pets.
Maybe some people will keep their cats inside and that can only be good.