Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   adopted dog problems (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=6512)

smiley1 August 18th, 2004 02:01 PM

adopted dog problems

Hi all,
I recently adopted a 2 1/2 yr. old mix breed. We were told she was extremely sociable. However, since coming to our home(1wkago) she is constantly hiding anywhere she can. She is not aggresive in any way and once in awhile will let you pat her on the head(she will pace) and then she is back to hiding. I have been putting her on a leash when I can catch her and she doesn't seem to mind that, and just petting her and reassuring her, she will even sleep in my room at night but squishes herself into the corner of the room. When off of the leash she goes to the very corner of the yard and it is quite difficult to get her out despite the food, toys, and praise. Her tail has been tucked between her legs since we got her and we also haven't heard a grunt, whine or bark. Any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated. :)

LavenderRott August 18th, 2004 02:15 PM

If you adopted her from a shelter, you might want to get her to the vet and have her looked over. She may have picked something up.

If it is not a medical issue, then just relax a bit and let her come to you. Don't try to catch her or corner her. Make sure you always have some yummy treats in your pockets so that when she does come over to say "hi" she gets a treat and learns to associate you with all things good.

Assuming that you got her from a shelter, the staff there probably knows little to nothing about her. You are going to have to learn how to read her just like you would a little puppy. Watch her body language.

Remember, a week is not a very long time. Give her time to settle in and learn that you only have her best interest at heart. Don't get after her for things right now. First she has to learn to trust you. Since you haven't said anything about accidents on the floor, and you have said she has shown no aggression, I think that misdeeds can probably be forgiven until she is more comfortable in your home.

Lucky Rescue August 18th, 2004 02:15 PM

Where did you get this dog? Did you SEE her acting "sociable" in her former home?

This type of fear comes either from NOT being socialized, or in some cases, it's genetic.

This is problem that can take a lot of time to overcome, but it can be done!

The number 1 rule is to NEVER comfort,soothe or "pet and reassure her" when she is acting afraid. Also never drag her anywhere if she is showing fear. The most important thing right now is for her to learn to trust you.

Here is a very good article on helping unsocialized dogs:
[URL=http://www.dogforme.com/pages/unsocialized.html]Fearful dogs[/URL]

smiley1 August 18th, 2004 02:24 PM

Hello again,
Don't get me wrong, she isn't cowering in fear and we aren't running around trying to chase her. As for treats etc. she isn't interested. When she is on a leash she seem to enjoy being pet and talked to. She has been vet checked. Thanks for your suggestions. The article was helpful.

Heather MH August 18th, 2004 02:33 PM

Oh smiley1, my heart goes out to you and your new baby. Although I can't offer any useful advise, I just wanted to send you my best wishes.
This poor baby could have been abused and neglected in her previous home and that maybe why she is so scared. I'm sure soon enough she will realize that you just want to give her a wonderful caring home, and she will run to meet at the door and love you to pieces. She probably already does love you but because of her past is unable to show you. :D Hang in there it will work out and the rewards will be endless.

mastifflover August 18th, 2004 02:45 PM

This is more common than you probably realize. She may very well be socialized but remember this is all very new to her. It takes time for her to adjust to you and her new surroundings. She is probably thinking am I staying here or am I going somewhere else. Once she feels safe and sure of you and her living situation she will start to overcome her fear. In the meantime I have found withmy rescues that I talk to them all the time calling them by their name and always in a calm and happy voice. it helps them to feel more comfortable and let her come to you I always keep treats in my pocket so when they come over on their own they get a little treat and a pat and what a good girl/boy. It is really all about time and comfort. Do you know the background where she came from and the situation. Was she abused in some way or tied up outside? I would also suggest getting her a crate and putting in bedding and a few toys and leave the door open she will probably feel safe in her own little home. I really feel it is interaction and time and she will come around and become your best friend. Be patient I have not had a dog yet that does not love rollover try this since she is not liking the treats.

smiley1 August 18th, 2004 03:00 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions and kind words. Bear actually came out from beneath the shrubbery for a few minutes. I just feel so badly for Bear that he's not comfortable coming out. I know it will take time. I just spoke with the rescue people again and got a different story than was given originally.(Not impressed) We have no intention on giving up on the new baby or putting Bear back in a bad situation. As for the treats, trust me Bear has a vast assortment. A sniff and then goes back to the corner. Thanks again. :)

Writing4Fun August 18th, 2004 03:06 PM

Oh, but you have to trust Mastifflover on this one ;) . Rollover is pretty much dried meat, and as close to "dog nip" as I've ever seen. It's only a few bucks for a smaller roll (it looks something like a salami). You just slice off a piece, and chop that into bite sized morsels. Carry them around in your pocket (I suggest in a ziplock bag :p ). I'd be very surprised if he didn't react differently to the Rollover than he does to any other treat! Good luck! :D