Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Buddy is back home... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49447)

krdahmer February 12th, 2008 09:02 PM

Buddy is back home...

I went and picked him up just before dinner, he had one tooth extracted and has 3 stitches in his mouth. There was nothing they could do for his eye.

He is still a little wonky but moving around fine, and definitely annoyed about being sequestered. I actually think he is being more active because he is seperated and thinks something is wrong. He is clawing at the door and pushing his paw under it even though the lights are off in that room and the hallway and we are being quiet. :shrug: I may just stay up late tonight and let him out and into my room when I go to bed. He's here at my side now on the step stool I put in here to help him get where he wants. The only other option I have is the cage... and I just think he might actually injure himself trying to get out if I do that.

And I now have a tall order for his recovery.... I have to keep him away from the kibble for 10 days. It's no problem to get him to eat wet, in fact he just had a few licks... the problem is in how do I feed the others who refuse to eat together on a schedule? I'm going to try taking up their food tonight and then not feeding them until tomorrow afternoon all at the same time, then as soon as Buddy finishes I have to take up all of their food as well. Not sure how that is going to go over... but maybe that is something I should be getting them used to anyhow. Oh and he already had a pee, so that's good.

Anyway for those of you who have been through teeth extractions....how soon is too soon to let him out do you think? I am giving him his antirobe still and metacam for the next few days. He's just getting really antsy and I have no other room with 'room' to put him in alone... plus I just saw him attempt to chew a computer cord (no chewing for the next few days at all). I just think it would be better if he was out and calm, then locked up and rangy... I don't know... what do you think? He calms down slightly when I'm in here with him, but I can't be in here all night. His eyes are still really dilated... so I'll wait till later tonight to make a decision.

And I'll check back here too to get your input! Thanks in advance... the only surgeries any of these guys have had have been s/n... so I'm a bit antsy and nervous too. Oh and even though I'm in here and he is calmer... he is still camped out by the door.

ancientgirl February 12th, 2008 09:08 PM

I've got no advice, but I just wanted to say I'm glad he's home. Is his eye going to be okay though? I hope so.

Frenchy February 12th, 2008 09:11 PM

I only had one dog (Sam) with tooth surgery , never a cat. But if you could put him alone in a room , it would be easier , for him to not get into the other's kibble. Or maybe put a cone (e-collar) on him ? :sorry:

krdahmer February 12th, 2008 09:11 PM

Ya it's a blocked duct and I guess there really isn't anything they can do. It just weeps all the time and the fur gets all crusty... I'll just keep cleaning it like I have been.

He is also breathing a little heavier than normal... not panting or anything like that. He has always been a slight mouth breather, just now every once in a while he opens up and takes a few really deep breaths. I think maybe his throat sounds irritated, prob from the tube.:confused:

He just did it again and he seems to do it when purring. But he does not seem to be struggling at all to breath or panting so I am trying not to panick. It's just so weird to see my big strong Buddy so vulnerable.

ancientgirl February 12th, 2008 09:31 PM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;545894]Ya it's a blocked duct and I guess there really isn't anything they can do. It just weeps all the time and the fur gets all crusty... I'll just keep cleaning it like I have been.

He is also breathing a little heavier than normal... not panting or anything like that. He has always been a slight mouth breather, just now every once in a while he opens up and takes a few really deep breaths. I think maybe his throat sounds irritated, prob from the tube.:confused:

He just did it again and he seems to do it when purring. But he does not seem to be struggling at all to breath or panting so I am trying not to panick. It's just so weird to see my big strong Buddy so vulnerable.[/QUOTE]

Oh poor buddy. I don't blame you for being a bit upset seeing him like that. I'm sure he'll be better tomorrow though, once all that anesthesia and stuff has worn off.

I think he needs some special cuddles.

loopoo February 12th, 2008 11:06 PM

picking up the kibble after the others eat may be the way to go, they do get used to it eventually trust me :) are you at home tomorrow to monitor him? if so, and if he seems like his old self, maybe let him roam around the place, just watching him, still making sure he and the others are fed separately and their kibble is picked up right away after all are fed. maybe take him to bed with you tonight for the first night. i am sure he will be fine, just sounds like he wants to check out his territory, and is very glad to be home!

rainbow February 12th, 2008 11:37 PM

Glad you've got him back home. Too bad there's nothing they can do for his eye. I would also let him out of the room but pick up the kibble so he can't get it. It's going to be a pain in the butt but you don't want to stress him out. Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack February 13th, 2008 01:04 AM

I'm glad he's home. And I know how stressful it is to have a patient with 'special requirements' in a house with more than one pet. :grouphug:

Got no advice for you, though, other than to take it one day at a time--too many dogs here to have any kitty experience :o

I just hope Buddy heals fast and is feeling more relaxed soon. :fingerscr The first night is always the worst, then it gets better day by day. And a month from now, you won't remember what all the stress was from... :thumbs up

growler~GateKeeper February 13th, 2008 01:14 AM

I would keep him confined until his pupils return to normal for sure. Picking up the krunchies is a good idea, if one of the others becomes pesty for food you can always lock them up w/ the food or Buddy away from the food.

Make sure when Buddy is allowed out that he is not chewing toys, catnip, cardboard etc. :goodvibes:

I wonder if the blocked duct is a sign of allergies? Dust/Mold/Furnace Musty-ness/:shrug: My sister has been in the process of renos on her house & 1 of her 3 cats had really really bad weepy eyes from the reno dust even though the "major construction" room was blocked off & the cats were not allowed access. Since finishing that room his eyes have cleared up.

breeze February 13th, 2008 08:55 AM

I'm glad he's at home were he should be with all your loving .. to bad they couldn't do anything for his eye :sad:

:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:
for a speedy recovery..:grouphug:

Love4himies February 13th, 2008 09:13 AM

Poor Buddy :sick:, he needs extra lovin' for a few days. I never had a cat with a tooth extraction so I can't offer any advice.

14+kitties February 13th, 2008 09:53 AM

Did Buddy (and you) survive the night? I bet there were lots of cuddles too. :) Can't fault that.
No advice with food. Just wanted to say Good Luck!

krdahmer February 13th, 2008 10:57 AM

Thanks so much guys for the well wishes... Buddy and I really appreciate it.:lovestruck::grouphug:

His eye has been a problem since before I took him in at a year old, and at that time he had a very severe URI (he had prob had this for weeks before I got to take him in to a vet, had to wait for the neighbour to give him to me:frustrated:) that landed him in the Evet... that was also when he started mouth breathing on a regular basis, the vet said there could have been a bit of permanent damage I guess... so maybe that is the case with his eye too...:shrug:

He is doing great this morning. I am gonna call the vet here in a minute and give them an update and ask about the mouth breathing. He slept in my room last night and let me tell you the others were none to pleased about being shut out... and they were very vocal about it! :rolleyes:

But so far he has taken his medicine, had a good breakfast (Wellness canned really watered down- ate it all :thumbs up) and seems a bit back to himself. Anyone know how much metacam makes them loopy? He seems more himself but still a bit 'druggy'.

I did let the others in for a bit and him out, but he wouldn't eat on the counter as per usual, so I took him back in the bedroom and shut the door. I let him lick some of the food off my finger and then he dug in, I had to do that last night too so I think his sniffer is a bit off or something. He seemed also to be a little weirded out by the other cats too, and came to me. So he can rest another day alone in there.

Overall though being less than a day I think he's doing pretty good. Hasn't used the litter today yet, but since he did last night I'm not worried.

I'm gonna talk to my dad again today about helping me make a food station for them, it would make twice daily feedings a bit easier with 6!

Ford Girl February 13th, 2008 03:26 PM

Hey, I just saw this otherwise I would have posted sooner...Pubert had a tooth pulled and all his teeth cleaned a few weeks ago.

The instructions we were given were...soft food for 3 week, vet recheck at 3 weeks, then he can eat kibble. (along with a bunch of BS about perscription diet, etc) But I give him kibble now, just watered down so it's soft, he doesn't get just canned food - gawd, he'd eat 3 cans a day!! LOL!

Pubert's mouth was open for a few days, mouth breathing...and he was loopy on the metecam for a few days too, kinda dopey, off balance a slight bit, some panting, huge pupils, I was told it's cuz he's got an empty stomach and very stressful for them, they are not back to normal eating and energy for a few days, but what you describes was the same experience we just had. Anbd one side of his face was concaved, the other swollen.

I see no visible effects now tho. It's been 2 weeks, he's still on soft food, soaked kibble, and get temptation treats broken in to 2...:) I added some cooked meats to his diet, he likes that...:cloud9:

I was using the breathalizer stuff (suppose to disinfect the cavity where the tooth was, and keep his breath fresh, but I noticed Pubert started drinking out of the toilet - strange for him, so I stopped, I don't think he was getting enough water once I started adding it...I put it in Dazy's water and she didn't even notice. :rolleyes:

How is he doing today? :goodvibes: :lovestruck:

krdahmer February 13th, 2008 07:17 PM

Thanks Fordgirl! He seems to be just about back to normal, except shying away from the other cats a bit. He is out and about for about 3 hours now and he is just watching tv and following me around. A couple of the cats swiped at him because he backs off pretty quick and startles them (he's usually the aggressor)... I actually think Windy was about to lick his forehead when he jerked back! Oh and the vet tried to give me a free bag of the dental food too, I said no thanks... and then kicked myself... I could have taken it to the HS... der!

I think I know what to do about the food too, I'm gonna put out the kibble for the rest of them at night and shut Buddy in my room to eat his food and then sleep with me. I really hope that doesn't deter Fagan and Palomine from sleeping in my bed once Buddy is better though... we have quite a snuggly happy routine going. Tomorrow I will leave him to wander the house and leave him out at night so I will have to try the two seperate feedings. Being locked in my room for an hour twice a day won't hurt Buddy any. And I'll leave the litter in there too.

Oh and as for sleeping too close to the litter... I sneezed like mad today... that stuff really does a number on me when in a closed space.[img]http://bestsmileys.com/sneezing/1.gif[/img]

growler~GateKeeper February 13th, 2008 07:45 PM

The dopeyness & the missing tooth (Buddy's thinking who stole my tooth?) is probably the reason for shying away.....coupla days & they should be okay

krdahmer February 14th, 2008 10:26 AM

Well he ate all his food last night and this morning... the others are not quite getting that they have to eat when the food is there yet. They have a few bites and walk away... then get mad when I put it away again... so this may take a few days. The one I thought would have the most trouble with it, Smoke, seems to be the only one who comes running for the food and then actually eats it. :shrug: Silly kitties. :rolleyes:

I'm gonna feed them at 10am and 7 or 8pm... does that sound reasonable? And I figure that I'll leave the food out an hour for both Buddy in my room and for the rest of them. Less time once they get the hang of this. Then also adding the wet. Should make for an interesting and cranky few weeks! :o

Ford Girl February 14th, 2008 02:35 PM

What dosage of Meticam are you giving and for how long?? Did they tell you he has to have his teeth cleaned yearly?

clm February 14th, 2008 03:11 PM

This is gonna be harder on you than on the cats eh? Hopefully his gums will heal up nice and fast and everyone can get back to normal.
I've never had any of my cats have problems with their teeth thank goodness, but I know lots of people who have.

Cindy

krdahmer February 14th, 2008 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=Ford Girl;546895]What dosage of Meticam are you giving and for how long?? Did they tell you he has to have his teeth cleaned yearly?[/QUOTE]

To tell you the truth I have no idea... how aweful is that?:o They loaded the syringes for me... I looked it's 0.2 mL/ once a day. Doesn't seem like much. And they mentioned no such thing... although I might look into getting a scraping every other year or something. If they'll do it by hand. I don't want him under anesthetic unless absolutely necessary.

hazelrunpack February 14th, 2008 09:14 PM

:rolleyes: Yeah, changing eating schedules can be a ... well, let's just say it can be stressful. :D But it does sound like Buddy is doing great! :thumbs up That's wonderful news!

So are [I]you[/I] injecting the metacam once daily? madame hazel has done it once or twice here, but hazel keeps passing out.... :o

Shaykeija February 14th, 2008 11:15 PM

I am glad Buddy is feeling better. I wish we could teach them to do this...

[IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/bluejt/dental/cat-vities.jpg[/IMG]

krdahmer February 14th, 2008 11:23 PM

:laughing: Aw... me too.

No Hazel... I'd be on the floor with you! They are syringes with the needles pulled off to give it orally. Which is really fun... seeing as even on a good day he doesn't let me touch his mouth! :rolleyes:

sugarcatmom February 15th, 2008 12:07 AM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;547041]T although I might look into getting a scraping every other year or something. If they'll do it by hand. I don't want him under anesthetic unless absolutely necessary.[/QUOTE]

Dentals without anesthesia are really not a good idea. It's just not possible to get in under the gum-line on a conscious cat without causing pain, and if you think about it, one of the main reasons to do a dental is to get in under the gum-line .This is what Dr. Lee had to say about the procedure: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=458691#post458691[/url]

[QUOTE]One last note - occasionally I will hear - "your pet is too old for anesthesia, I know this guy who does it without anesthesia". The American Veterinary Dental Association has a strict stand against this. Reasons: 1) the scaling to remove the calculus creates microabrasions on the tooth surface which cannot be properly polished with any motion - this state leads to faster build up of the calculus post cleaning, 2) precludes dental X-Ray however most vets still do not have this technology (we don't yet) and 3) it precludes proper charting of the teeth looking for subgingival disease (sometimes there is more calculus (tartar) under the gingiva then above it!!![/QUOTE]

chico2 February 15th, 2008 07:51 AM

Dahmer,I had one cat(my diabetic Peppi)who had a tooth pulled,he was just fine afterwards.
I did not keep him away from the others at all,but in those days,none of my cats ate kibbles and he had no stitches.
I am sure Buddy will be fine,my first thought was the problem with his eye was tooth related,but then I read he always has had this problem,too bad they cannot fix it.

As for teethcleaning,we try to do one cat a year,lately getting Rockys HT taken care of,has been my priority,but eventually he will need teethcleaning too.
At $300+,we just cannot afford to do all 3 cats teeth every year,especially now with Rockys expences,but it seems some cats have good teeth,others don't,just like humans.
Vinnie is only 5 has had his teeth cleaned twice,I think he'll have problem teeth:sad:

Ford Girl February 15th, 2008 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;547235]:laughing: Aw... me too.

No Hazel... I'd be on the floor with you! They are syringes with the needles pulled off to give it orally. Which is really fun... seeing as even on a good day he doesn't let me touch his mouth! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I put 4 drops in to Puberts wet food, he licks it all up first...it says on the bottle/box to mix with food. Are you squirting it in to his mouth? Hum...

Ford Girl February 15th, 2008 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;547282]Dahmer,I had one cat(my diabetic Peppi)who had a tooth pulled,he was just fine afterwards.
I did not keep him away from the others at all,but in those days,none of my cats ate kibbles and he had no stitches.
I am sure Buddy will be fine,my first thought was the problem with his eye was tooth related,but then I read he always has had this problem,too bad they cannot fix it.

As for teethcleaning,we try to do one cat a year,lately getting Rockys HT taken care of,has been my priority,but eventually he will need teethcleaning too.
At $300+,we just cannot afford to do all 3 cats teeth every year,especially now with Rockys expences,but it seems some cats have good teeth,others don't,just like humans.
Vinnie is only 5 has had his teeth cleaned twice,I think he'll have problem teeth:sad:[/QUOTE]

It's going to cost me $125 each year for a dental check up, they told me he will just get a general seditive, enough to allow them to get in there and clean...but not a complete anistetic. He doesn't get vacinated, so that's not bad for a yearly check up for my boy!

krdahmer February 15th, 2008 12:38 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;547251]Dentals without anesthesia are really not a good idea. It's just not possible to get in under the gum-line on a conscious cat without causing pain, and if you think about it, one of the main reasons to do a dental is to get in under the gum-line .This is what Dr. Lee had to say about the procedure: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=458691#post458691[/url][/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was not aware of that...

[QUOTE=chico2;547282]Dahmer,I had one cat(my diabetic Peppi)who had a tooth pulled,he was just fine afterwards.

Vinnie is only 5 has had his teeth cleaned twice,I think he'll have problem teeth:sad:[/QUOTE]

$300 would be alright... but this cost me $685!! That I cannot do yearly. And with 6 and shots yearly and $300 or so a month for food and litter.... well I think hubby will just have to work more... :eek:

[QUOTE=Ford Girl;547338]I put 4 drops in to Puberts wet food, he licks it all up first...it says on the bottle/box to mix with food. Are you squirting it in to his mouth? Hum...[/QUOTE]

Ya I squirt it in just after he's started to eat his food, that way he is taking it with food and he is just so excited to eat he seems to put up less of a fight.

[QUOTE=Ford Girl;547340]It's going to cost me $125 each year for a dental check up, they told me he will just get a general seditive, enough to allow them to get in there and clean...but not a complete anistetic. He doesn't get vacinated, so that's not bad for a yearly check up for my boy![/QUOTE]

Now see that I could live with.... We aren't doing shots every year here either, well at least not all of them... we might do a rotating thing like one shot one year.... rabies next... and so on. Of course with 6, it's the exam fees that add up anyhow not the cost of the shots. I may see if she could do brief exams if they aren't having issues.

chico2 February 15th, 2008 04:51 PM

Dahmer,it's about $350 just for cleaning,any extractions of course would add on,but heck it's only money:laughing:
Who needs food and stuff,as long as the kitties are ok,right:laughing:Mac and Cheese is only $0.99:cat:'It's unfortunate I hate the stuff:yuck:

hazelrunpack February 15th, 2008 08:17 PM

[QUOTE=krdahmer;547235]No Hazel... I'd be on the floor with you! They are syringes with the needles pulled off to give it orally. Which is really fun... seeing as even on a good day he doesn't let me touch his mouth! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Whew! I nearly went into palpitations the first Lyme's booster I had to give Macie. :eek: It was very traumatic...all the squealing, moaning, shaking, and eye-rolling. Macie, on the other hand, didn't even seem to notice when the needle went in. :o