Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Dog Bit Off Part of Recreational Bone (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32991)

barkley21 November 17th, 2006 06:37 PM

Dog Bit Off Part of Recreational Bone

I was wondering how digestible recreational bones are? I gave my pup his weekly recreational bone (he's gnawing on it as we speak), but I just noticed that he bit off a small chunk of it and ate it. Is this okay? It is a beef bone (knuckle bone I think) and he bit off a piece approximately 2 inches big...maybe a little big bigger. Will he just throw it up if he can't digest it or can it cause problems?

Prin November 17th, 2006 07:18 PM

Just watch him closely for a possible blockage... I don't know much about "recreational bones", but from what I've been told, they don't digest well and usually find their way out in one piece...:shrug:

technodoll November 17th, 2006 07:28 PM

yep. it'll go down, or it'll go up! :D maika has "upped" small bone fragments two or three days after eating so it can take a while for the body to decide what to do with it.

but do watch your doggy... if acting abnormal, no poops for a day or two... get to the vets to rule out possible blockage. this happens mostly with cooked bones though, which are not really digestible. :dog:

barkley21 November 17th, 2006 08:26 PM

Thanks guys.
I guess we will be on poop patrol for the next few days :(

muckypup November 17th, 2006 10:50 PM

It won't get digested but will probably go threw. If it doesn't, worst case senerio, depending on how big the piece ingested is, could cause a blockage risking your pets life and costing thousands in vet bills. You always have to watch them when they are eating bones.
I like the raw beef marrow bones, I get them at Sobey's. When my dogs have eaten all the meat around the bone and the marrow inside I take it away and throw it out.

mafiaprincess November 18th, 2006 02:04 PM

That was kind of unnecessarily nasty..
Just what the OP needed to hear. Blockages have been discussed. You didn't have to point out that due to not watching closely enough his or her pet may die. Geeze..

barkley21 November 18th, 2006 09:43 PM

Thanks mafiaprincess:) I really didn't want to hear about blockages although I know that risk is there, but I WAS watching him as he gnawed on the bone. He likes to hold the bone down with both his paws and it happened when his face was turned sideways as he was using his back teeth on the bone. When he is in that position and he has a paw on either side of his face holding the bone, it is very hard to "see" exactly what is going on there. In one split second he looked up and that's when I noticed a piece of the bone gone.
On a positive note, poops were right on schedule as usual today and he seems to be acting completely normal. Well, as normal as puppies can be :p He did have diarrhea this afternoon but that was from all the marrow in the bone last night. I've been touching his abdomen and pressing lightly to see if he is in any discomfort, but he doesn't react in any way whatsoever, so I think he is doing well. Anything else I can/should be doing?

mummummum November 18th, 2006 09:57 PM

barkely21, it's good to be cautious and watchful but I hope you're not worrying yourself into panic mode over this, Bridie has chewed up and digested or spit up and pooped out small chunks of bone. Your doing all the right things.

barkley21 November 18th, 2006 10:11 PM

Thanks mummummum. I'm trying not to get into panic mode because I know these things happen, and the fact that he has pooped today and is acting normal is helping me not to blow it out of proportion, although I won't be completely at ease until a week of poops pass without any problems :fingerscr

technodoll November 18th, 2006 10:49 PM

also, dogs who are used to eating bones (ie raw diet) have a stronger stomach and ususally run into less problems... i'm so glad everything is in order! big hugs to the sweetheart! :)

barkley21 November 19th, 2006 08:15 PM

Well, it's day two since Barkley ate part of the rec bone on Friday night and he's still having diarrhea. It's been rotating between diarrhea and soft stools. Is this from the marrow in the bone or is this a possible sign of something more serious? I tried giving him some pumpkin at dinner to firm things up but I guess I won't know if it worked until tomorrow morning's poop. Should I fast him to give his system a break?

coppperbelle November 19th, 2006 09:10 PM

Dog bit off part....

I would think that the diarrhea is from the marrow on the bone. If there were a blockage or something (:fingerscr there isn't) I would think it would be more a case of constipation or straining and not able to go.
Why don't you give your vet a call. He may have some suggestions for you on what to look for.

barkley21 November 19th, 2006 09:16 PM

I think it's from the marrow too Copperbelle, but he's never had diarrhea from marrow before and we give him a rec bone once every week. I'm happier that he is having diarrhea than not having any poops at all because then I'd really be worried about a blockage, so in that sense the diarrhea is a good thing :( I didn't know that diarrhea from marrow would last so long though :shrug: I always thought they may have a few loose stools the next day but that everything would return to normal after that. I guess I'll just wait a bit longer. We already asked our vet about it on Saturday and he said he wasn't too worried provided that Barkley is behaving the same way as usual and that he's pooping.

technodoll November 19th, 2006 10:01 PM

why don't you fast him for 12 hours, then ease back in with a simple, low-fat meal that he usually tolerates well? not all rec bones are created equal and you could just have bought a "bad" one, too... i suggest giving his tummy a break, then some probiotics and a simple meal. should clear things up :)

SnowDancer November 20th, 2006 11:06 AM

I have found that it often takes 3 days for potentially harmful items to pass through the system (my dog is a Hoover) - as were his predecessors - with day 3 being the magic day. If your pup likes to "help" you clean up after him you will have to be fast, or you will be on the second round of 3 day surveyance. My Eskie LOVES to "help". Hopefully the piece of bone will pass through okay - I know what a worry it is. If your pup starts throwing up though I would call the vet - fast.

barkley21 November 20th, 2006 12:45 PM

:crazy: for more poop talk!
I am happy to say that Barkley had two bowel movements today and both were nice and solid once again. It's funny how solid poops make me feel :cloud9: I think the bone he consumed must have been smaller than I originally thought.

mummummum November 20th, 2006 12:52 PM

When it comes to poop on this forum you are never alone Barkely21 ~ at some point or another we have all found ourselves staring intently at our dog's upraised tail as they hunch into "position", feverishly muttering a not-so-silent prayer for a "good, firm [I]poop[/I]".:D

technodoll November 20th, 2006 12:53 PM

:highfive: yay! happy poops again :D

Prin November 20th, 2006 05:34 PM

:highfive: :fingerscr that he keeps on poopin'.:D