Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christmas gifts for dogs. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10550)

TobsterMom December 20th, 2004 10:46 PM

Christmas gifts for dogs.

I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for Toys that are close to indestructable. We were looking for Christmas presents for Toby, he's a real chewer, he has no toys because he destroys them all...it's kind of sad. The only things he hasn't detroyed is his Kong, which he keeps dragging outside with him, and a giant tennis ball, because he can barely get his mouth around it. I bought him a Nyla bone tonight and 2 new giant tennis balls. I've heard road hockey balls are good too.

Any tried and true gift ideas for a boy who loves his toys a little too much? ;)

Bugsy December 20th, 2004 10:53 PM

Hmmm.... I'm thinking another puppy :p

TobsterMom December 20th, 2004 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=Bugsy]Hmmm.... I'm thinking another puppy :p[/QUOTE]

Well...that's a given, as soon as we find the right one! ;)

Loki December 20th, 2004 11:14 PM

They make hard plastic balls( empty on the inside, can be filled with water to make it wobble) I think they are called "Boomer Balls." I wouldn't reccomend them though, my dog hurt himself the first time he played with it, so I tossed it out.

I usually get my dog soccer balls. It takes a bit of patience, but it is pretty easy to teach them to push it around with his nose. It's my dog's favorite thing to do.

They make a rubber "wiggly-giggly ball" , they also have soft plastic ones ( my dog tore through the soft plastic pretty easily). WARNING: It makes a weird noise as it rolls, and it can get pretty annoying after awhile, but my dog really loves it.

Rottimom December 21st, 2004 12:01 AM

If you can stand the racket, an empty pop or water bottle are a favourite of Herc's. (Remove the lid to prevent choking) This keeps him busy for hours. He's never managed to crack them (it would be pretty sharp if he did) but he loves to crunch them up.

Something else we've recently discovered is a laser pointer. Hercules goes crazy, like a frisky cat trying to catch the red dot. He gets a great workout! (BTW- He is definitely NOT a cat!)

Bugsy December 21st, 2004 12:35 AM

My dogs love the pop bottle thing too :D A word of caution though, afterwards... never leave a full pop bottle open on the kitchen table, counter, computer desk etc... I learned this one the hard way. ;)

glasslass December 21st, 2004 11:05 AM

A friend of mine has a border collie that loves to play with a large hard ball about the size of a basketball. He can't get a grip on it to chew it but spends his time pushing it around and around the yard wildly.

TobsterMom December 21st, 2004 12:25 PM

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Yes, Toby LOVES emplty plastic bottles. We alway take the cap and wrapper off though. He has actually broken them apart and picked pieces off, so we don't give him them unless we're home. I hear what your saying Bugsy, Toby Takes them out of the recycle bin now!

I hate it that he has no toys. Everthing we buy him gets destroyed. I like the laser pointer idea, but I wonder if he would really pay attention to it?

TobsterMom December 21st, 2004 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here he is with a water bottle! :clown:

Schwinn December 21st, 2004 12:34 PM

What a good looking guy!!

One of Daisy's favourites it a tire we bought at PetSmart. It's lasted her for about 3 years so far. It's re-inforced rubber. I think it is called a Paws Track. We bought her a bone that one store told us should taker her a while. It did. Ten minutes. We timed it. She can chew through things like no other dog I've ever seen! The other thing we bought her was one of those orange balls you put treats in. She runs around everywhere with that thing. It's finally starting to break down, but it's lasted a couple of years. And she chews away on that thing. We also buy the large tennis balls, but she eventually destroys those, too. And the laser thing makes her psycho...check that...MORE psycho!

mastifflover December 21st, 2004 12:35 PM

There are these tires that you can get in the pet stores they come in assorted sizes. I have the biggest one and I went all out and got the one with the pull rope attached. Buddy has not done any damage to it they are made out of real tire rubber but the metal threads are taken out so they are safe for out babies to chew. They have them for small to giant dogs and indestructible in fact I think they might be guaranteed. By the way tobster your baby is very cute

TobsterMom December 21st, 2004 12:39 PM

I think I've seen the tires. I may pick one up for him. It's great to hear suggestions from people, rather than going out and wasting money on something. Thanks guys! :thumbs up

glasslass December 21st, 2004 12:47 PM

Toby is adorable! I bet it's hard to say no to him! :D

Schwinn December 21st, 2004 12:49 PM

[QUOTE=TobsterMom]I think I've seen the tires. I may pick one up for him. It's great to hear suggestions from people, rather than going out and wasting money on something. Thanks guys! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

The best fun is when your walking down the street and your pup is carrying it in it's mouth, tail wagging furiously, and everytime you walk by someone, you say to your pup, "You almost got him! We'll get him next time!".

jjgeonerd December 21st, 2004 12:49 PM

Gabby destoys everything too! The white Nylabones last a while and come in flavors. There is also something call a DentaDino, which looks like a dinosaur with bumps al over it...it works well. Kong makes a ball that you can put treats in and they have to work to get them out. Kong stuff all seems to last forever.

TobsterMom December 21st, 2004 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=glasslass]Toby is adorable! I bet it's hard to say no to him! :D[/QUOTE]

Are you implying I spoil him?

If so....you're absoutley right :D

He is adorable, and has a personality to match!

wAggie December 22nd, 2004 12:44 AM

awww!

not sure if this has been mentioned b4, but try the galileo bone, my Honey LOVES it.

it may be heavy at first, but the dog should get used to it in no time!

Lady_Eleven December 24th, 2004 02:10 AM

Id be careful about the nylabones. My pup had one of those ( a said-to-be really tough one) and managed to chew it appart and swallow quite a bit. Spent the next day throwing up multiple times.

As you said, kongs tend to be a great toy - and now since the come in multiple kinds, there are more to choose from. So far we have one of the dental ones (like a bar with grooves in it), a regular kong, and a treat ball.

There is also a toy that looks like its made of black rubber (solid) - I wish I knew the name, but my dog played with it at my brothers house and it seemed to "survive". Its like a rounded black rubber bar, with a rope in the end (the rope may not last mind you).

I also have a volleyball that while she cant get it in her mouth, she tends to roll it around and jump on it - and can entertain for quite a while.

Also have you tried those toys that look like stuffed fire hoses? I havent had one, but they are said to be fairly tough (yet they are a bit soft). I had a dog trainer suggest it to me, but have yet to buy one, considering there are plenty of toys here lol.

Hound_Dog December 24th, 2004 08:21 AM

I just got the talking ball from the Talk to me treats company and it's fantastic! You put some treats in it and they come out when the dog plays with the ball (it's weighted on the bottom so the hole stays on the top unless the dog is playing with it), You can also record a short message that gets played when the dog touches the ball but I had to turn off the voice recorder as this got annoying very quickly. Anyways, it kept my dogs busy for a while. I'd recommend the bigger one unless you have a puppy....my 2 year old Shi Tzu played with it for about two hours even though it was meant for the Dalmation.

Oh yeah, it's made of hard plastic. Great toy.

wAggie December 30th, 2004 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=Lady_Eleven]Id be careful about the nylabones. My pup had one of those ( a said-to-be really tough one) and managed to chew it appart and swallow quite a bit. Spent the next day throwing up multiple times.[/QUOTE]

for sure, I have had no success w the nylabones on Chocolate back in the day.

Don't waste ur money on it.

TobsterMom December 30th, 2004 01:43 PM

He actually liked his Nyla Bone. I keep my eye on it for splitting or pieces coming off, but so far it's doing the trick. He actually cried the first day because he couldn't eat it.

I actually want to warn people too about the rope toys, the stringy type. If animals ingest the string it could give them bowel troubles. I never give these to Toby, he eats everything.

whinnie-boo December 30th, 2004 02:05 PM

`

TIRE TOYS!!!!!

I swear by these things. I even went as far as getting them a real tire and hanging it from a tree in the backyard cause Pits like to jump. You can buy smaller tire toys in the pet store. They last about as long as a kong. If Toby likes the kongs, he'll love the tires. Try it out.

Whinnie and Boo got a new one each for Whinnie's Birthday's (in July) and they still have them. All the new toys they got for Christmas this year are GONE. I need to buy shares in a toy company to keep up with their chewing

TobsterMom December 30th, 2004 02:21 PM

Thanks for the advice Whinnie-Boo. I think I'm going to get a tire for Toby. I sympathise with you, Toby is a crazy chewer too...but he's one compared to your two!!!!

let me know if you find some good shares, maybe we can go splits! :thumbs up

Schwinn December 30th, 2004 02:26 PM

Daisy's favourite? A big stick. That's right, a few thousand spent on toys, and her favourite is...a 6 foot stick. Indoors it's either her tire or treat ball. She seems to go through fazes. (It'd be the big stick if a)we'd let her bring it in and b)she'd realize to turn her head while trying to carry it through the door)