Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   barking (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15324)

Eleni May 19th, 2005 02:03 PM

barking

my neighbor got a dog that barks constant!

I dont allow sam to bark because we ahve an apartment and I dont want the neighbors annoyed.

So I went to the neighbor when they got home from work just to let them know the dog barks all day while they are at work. And that perhaps he needed the tv left on and all the normal suggestions to help.

well it diddnt go well he got nasty with me and told me I had no right mentioning it to him considering ive got a poodle

um what?? since when does that make a difference, sure i have a poodle, one who is not allowed to bark indoors.

he assumes since I have a poodle that it must be "yappy"

I normally dont complain to the superintendant about barking because I know dogs get anxious when home alone, but I think this time I might.

I dont leave sam home alone so I know for a fact he doesnt bark.
ugh that annoys me so badly

Eleni

Copper'sMom May 19th, 2005 02:13 PM

Oh i know how you feel! When I lived with my mom, we had a neighbour who's dog was outside and did nothing but bark. Even at night, it barked which was really annoying when going to bed! These neighbours were awful people to begin with. The cops had been called many times but the people wouldn't comply. They were finally evicted from that house. We later learned they were heroin addicts! :eek: I'm sure this isn't the case with your neighbours, but it is very rude and disrespectful for them to reply to you the way they did. I would definitely complain to the super. I feel bad for the poor dog!

Prin May 19th, 2005 11:00 PM

I know how you feel too.. My neighbors terror minpin (he's sweet when he's not with them) barks all day-- ALL DAY. I learned that the neighbor likes to slam doors so the doggy can tell when he's coming (he usually gets a slap when he is heard barking when they are home-- so you bet he's quiet when the door slams). So when he was intolerable, I just slam my door. He shuts up for about 20 minutes so I can get my sanity back. It doesn't help that our walls are paper thin already... :rolleyes: They actually got a second dog at one point to keep the first one company and I swear I was going insane-- to the first dog's barking, add springer spaniel barking along with fights 16 hours a day. I was shaking. Like water torture. We made them get rid of the dog. (They still have the first barker though.. we're moving in June... FOREVER!!!)

Cactus Flower May 19th, 2005 11:49 PM

I had a neighbor like that. Whether he was home or not, his dog would be bark bark barking- all day, all night. No amount of talk convinced him to do anything about it.

So.

Being younger and a bit crazier at the time.....when he was gone, I'd call his house, wait for the answering machine to come on, then just sit outside- holding the phone in the air to his dog's barking. He'd come home to a machine FULL of his own dog's noise. No room for other messages. Bummer.

He was NOT happy about it.

"What's that? You [I]'don't need to come home to listen to that ****ing racket'[/I]? Well guess what? NEITHER DO I".

[COLOR=Orange](These stunts were performed by trained professionals and should not be attempted at home)[/COLOR] :p.

Schwinn May 20th, 2005 10:09 AM

Cheryl was getting ready for bed, and she said she kept hearing a dog barking outside. After about 20 mins, she was getting really annoyed that the neighbour would leave thier dog out barking like that. Then she called Daisy to bed, and Daisy wouldn't come. Then she notice that the more she called downstairs, the more the dog outside barked. She quickly ran down and let Daisy in.

(She still feels guilty about that one. We refer to it as her pregnancy ADD)

Dukieboy May 20th, 2005 10:31 AM

Thats hilarious!!!! :D

levimh May 20th, 2005 10:33 AM

This seems to be a trend..because I have a neighbour a couple of houses down and they let their dog out at about 5 in the morning..what does he do? Bark. And bark. Oh, and, uh..bark!

I was walking by their house one day and I had Levi off leash. The husband/father was outside getting in his car for something and Levi went over to say hi. The guy started petting him and talking to him and I said "I think he smells your dog" (because he kept trying to get in his house). The guy said "Unfortunatly my dog isn't as nice as yours. He doesn't like other dogs at all." I thought about telling him, 'well, it's obviously because you don't socialize him and you keep him locked up in the back yard all day'. No one on our street has seen them take their dog for a walk (except once). It just barks..alllll day. Poor doggy.

Lucky Rescue May 20th, 2005 10:35 AM

Cactus Flower, that is brilliant!!!!:p

Eleni May 21st, 2005 02:38 PM

LOL too funny, my other neighbor left a note on his door this morning telling him to pay more attention to the dog so we diddnt have to keep telling it to quit barking.

dont know his reaction yet, but i was laughing when I saw it when I went by with Sam

Eleni

Cactus Flower May 21st, 2005 04:22 PM

Maybe you could add "I second that", to the bottom of the note ;) .

kandy May 23rd, 2005 03:16 PM

We had never really had a dog that barked much until Lacey. Sheena (the coyote) and Boon (the corgi x) would bark only if there was something to bark at. When we got Lacey, she started sleeping outside with Boon when we felt she was old enough. Right from the start, she would bark during the night. At first we thought that she was seeing something, but Boon wasn't barking, so we knew that she wasn't. We'd go to the door and tell her to be quiet, and I would always go outside to see if there was anything she should be barking at. I never saw anything, so I started just watching her from the window. She would bark at passing clouds, the wind blowing the trees, etc. She would just be looking up at the sky - barking. It was never an excited bark, more like a really lazy bark. After about a month of one of us getting up and telling her to be quiet every time she barked more than a couple barks, she finally gave it up. I was really surprised that none of our neighbors had ever complained. Whenever we'd go to tell her to be quiet, Boon would be standing right there with this look like - I told you that you'd get in trouble!