Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I'm concerned about Czari's water intake (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62780)

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 05:58 PM

I'm concerned about Czari's water intake

When I first bought Czari inside, I noticed she was really the only one that manly drank out of water bowls. I know when she was outside Miguel had always fed her dry, so she was always drinking water when she was outdoors.

Knowing this, I thought maybe she'd just kept the habit. As of next month, she will have been inside a year and I realized she still drinks a good bit of water. I see her drinking in the mornings when I'm getting their breakfast ready and in the evening when I'm getting their dinner.

I have an appointment to take Kiska in next Wednesday so they can check her liver again. I'm thinking maybe I should take Czari in and mention it to the vet and see if some tests might be in order.

Have you guys experienced a cat that likes to drink water like this?

Jim Hall May 14th, 2009 06:30 PM

yah amanda drinks a lot even though mostof her food is wet i thought it was aproblem too but the vet said it was ok

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 06:46 PM

Okay, that eases my mind a bit.

Love4himies May 14th, 2009 06:54 PM

Yes, Snowball used to drink a lot of water and he was mainly on canned food. He had no health issues until he passed away.

Jasper too drinks a lot of water, but he is very, very hyper. No issues with his health either.

krdahmer May 14th, 2009 07:10 PM

my former 'outdoor' kittens drink a lot of water all the time, out of my glasses, their bowls and the bathroom sink too....

Dracko May 14th, 2009 07:11 PM

Ginkgo and Teiya seem to drink a lot more than the other 3. I would only worry if one of my cats did something out of their normal character like started to drink all the time when they hadn't before.

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 07:24 PM

Yes, she's done this really since I brought her in. I remember mentioning it to Miguel and he'd say she liked to drink water when she was outside. She's normal in everything else otherwise.

Thanks everyone. I was starting to think it wasn't normal. The others really don't drink much water.

onster May 14th, 2009 07:52 PM

Bunduk drinks a lot a lot of water.

In fact, the first time I saw him (in cage at petsmart 4 adoption) he was drinking and had water dripping down his 'soul patch'/ beard LOL. Too cute. Still does that today :lovestruck::cloud9:

Sometimes I worry cuz I think he drinks too much but then he had a full blood panel done when he was neutered and everything was fine.

I say I have to offer him a cup of water about 5 times a day. He will sit there lapping it up for a few minutes.

Sometimes he even wakes me up for a drink :crazy:

I wouldnt worry AG. If its normal behaviour for her, i would hold off any tests especially if $ is tight.

ancientgirl May 14th, 2009 07:57 PM

Onster, yes it's pretty normal for her. She's always done it, but since the others really hardly drink water, I wondered if I shouldn't be more worried.

I see now that other cats here are fond of water too so that eases my mind.

I'll likely take her in this summer for her wellness exam. The vet said the others don't need one yearly, since they are still young, but Czari is about 5 so I'd like to get her done every year. There they will test for pretty much everything.

onster May 14th, 2009 08:20 PM

Sounds good AG :thumbs up

My vet doesnt really do wellness exams....we just do a yearly checkup (temperature, feeling organs, look in the eyes etc). I guess it would make sense to look at bloodwork every couple of years tho:thumbs up

ancientgirl May 15th, 2009 07:08 AM

Yes, they take blood and do an entire range of tests for everything.

I had all of them done last year. The vet said since Vlad, Oksana, Maks and Kiska were still young and healthy they could get by with doing it again in another year or two. But, since Czari is already 5 yearly might be a good idea.

Jim Hall May 15th, 2009 08:17 AM

DR Lisa is not relly sold on the idea of welness exams execpt for very old cats or ones that have changed significantly

as to water i had a kit for a while that loved drinking playing and actully swimming in the lake if you went out in the boat with out her she would sit and wail on the dock .

Look at it this way ,you dont have to worry about uti's or cyrstals with czarina

ancientgirl May 15th, 2009 08:28 AM

My vet is big on preventative stuff. I also like the thought of prevention. I don't like putting them through having their blood drawn, but if doing that once a year or once every two years helps catch something early, I'm all for it.

We've been watching Kiska's liver for a few months, because when she had her wellness she had some elevations, which was a concern. Next week I take her in to have her tested one final time, just to make sure everything is normal. It gives me peace of mind to know that I'm doing all I can to make sure they are all healthy.

Chaser May 15th, 2009 10:53 AM

Rupert has always drank lots, both now and when he was with Toonces, and he was given a clean bill of health before moving to my house. :)

ancientgirl May 15th, 2009 11:14 AM

The more I hear the better I feel. You always hear that cats don't drink lots of water and you should be concerned if they do. But hearing others have drinking kitties I feel much more at east.

Thank you!

Chaser May 15th, 2009 12:10 PM

If you had seen a sudden increase in drinking I would be more concerned....if that's just her "normal" then I think it's a good thing. I personally like knowing that Rupert is very well-hydrated :thumbs up