Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Got a Sheperds-hook for the Hummers.. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77310)

chico2 June 7th, 2011 04:38 PM

Got a Sheperds-hook for the Hummers..

2 Attachment(s)
We bought one today and for now,I have a Fuchia(sp?)hanging on it,don't know if Hmmers like them,if not I'll get som Impatients.
Here's a couple of pics.
I bought the small feeders,because my big one was always full of bees.

hazelrunpack June 7th, 2011 05:33 PM

Oh, wow, that's a beautiful shepherd's hook, chico!!! Lovely fuchsia, too! Hummingbirds are drawn to the color and I've seen them sipping from fuchsia, so it should work fine. :goodvibes:

Remember to change your nectar frequently--as it gets hotter, it won't last more than a day or two before getting cloudy with bacteria. If they show up and your nectar is fermenting, they likely won't come back...

I love that little bird on the one arm.

Longblades June 7th, 2011 08:13 PM

They probably need a bit of time to get used to the new hanger. Ours have no problem with our shepherd's hook. To increase it's attractiveness the OH has attached bright pink flagging tape which seems to help catch their attention.

chico2 June 8th, 2011 04:38 PM

Hazel,it was a Wal-Mart special,only $15.
I do change it about every 3 days,it makes sense that it would go bad in the heat.

Longblades,I suppose anything bright red would work,we'll see,I have only seen one Hummer here,but I could have missed them,they are so tiny.

hazelrunpack June 8th, 2011 04:59 PM

Even a shiny red Christmas ball ornament will attract them. :D

$15!! I'm going to have to check at our Wal*Mart next time I go into town...

Dee-O-Gee June 8th, 2011 06:31 PM

Beautiful Fuchsia Chico and it makes the cut for Nectar-rich flowers for hummingbirds! :thumbs up

I found this list and saved it in my favorites. :)

Nectar-rich Flowers for Hummingbirds

[B][U]Perennials[/U][/B]

Columbine (Aquilegia sp.)
Coral Bells (Heuchera sp)
Catchfly (Silene sp.)
Bee Balm (Monarda sp.)
Anise Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum)
Scarlet Bugler (Penstemon sp.)
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans)
Butterfly Bush (Buddleia sp.)
Trumpet, or Coral Honeysuckle Vine (Lonicera sp.)
Iris (Iris sp.)

[B][U]Annuals[/U][/B]

Salvia -many kinds-(Salvia sp.)
Flowering Tobacco (Nicotiana sp. red)
Lantana sp.
Verbena sp.
Cleome sp.
Snapdragon sp
Zinnea sp.
Dianthus sp.
Wishbone Flower (Torenia sp.)
Fuscia Flower (Fiscia magellanica)
Million Bells (Calibrachoa sp.)
Petunia (Petunia sp.)
Geranium (Pelargonium sp.)
Pansy

Hope they come to your feeding ground Chico2. :fingerscr I know I would. :)

chico2 June 9th, 2011 07:36 AM

klm,thank's I actually have quiet a few of thos listed,but not yet blooming.

hazelrunpack June 9th, 2011 09:22 AM

It always surprises me when I see hummers at zinnias, but they seem to go ga-ga over them in late summer!! Thanks for the reminder--I have to sprinkle some zinnia seeds in the iris bed for for late season hummers :thumbs up

Longblades June 9th, 2011 09:33 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1013199]It always surprises me when I see hummers at zinnias, but they seem to go ga-ga over them in late summer!! Thanks for the reminder--I have to sprinkle some zinnia seeds in the iris bed for for late season hummers :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Will they grow and flower before frost? Interesting, I wouldn't have thought so because they wouldn't here. But I have few places with full sun.

Do you all notice how the hummers like YOU when you wear flower coloured tops? Bright pink or red or lavender? They hum so close by I've sometimes wondered, can you be impaled by a hummer beak? LOL Maybe you could dress up and play mannequin by the new feeder holder? :D

hazelrunpack June 9th, 2011 10:21 AM

Even in camo, I get buzzed by hummers. I think they recognize my glasses and associate them with food! :laughing:

Yep, zinnias will grow fast enough to flower by early August. Not sure how far north you are, LB, but our first killing frost is usually in mid-to-late Sept. The iris bed gets morning and early afternoon sun so the zinnias do well there, even when shaded by the iris fronds. Or they have in the past, anyway. :o The irises did really well this year so there may be a bit more shade in there than usual. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D