Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Puppy shots - bad reaction - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12503)

LSCKitty February 24th, 2005 01:39 PM

Puppy shots - bad reaction - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

My 12 week old American Bulldog just had a round of shots this past weekend. She was sick this morning and I called the vet and they said it could be a reaction to the shots. Does this sounds feasable even though the shots were 5 days ago? She has been fine all week. But this morning she was quiet and not playful and didn't eat anything. She also went potty in her crate twice last night and she has never done that before. Thanks!

Pisces20 February 24th, 2005 02:03 PM

It is quite possible it could be the shots. A good friend of mine had that happen with her cats. They got quite sick a few days after the shots. She took them back to the vet, where they were examined and told it was the shots. They were back to normal in day or so.

Hope your puppy is better soon! :)

Trinitie February 24th, 2005 02:35 PM

It's entirely possible your puppy is having a reaction to the shots. If you're not sure if the vet is up to snuff or not, bring puppy in for another opinion to another vet. Pups this young shouldn't go without food and water for very long.

Please keep us posted as to how she's doing.

LSCKitty February 24th, 2005 04:39 PM

Thanks for your replies!! I went home at lunch and she was already back to normal! seemed a bit hungry though! :D

Trinitie February 24th, 2005 04:44 PM

I'm so glad! :D

Sometimes puppies don't do well with the shots, and scare the mommies & daddies. As she gets older, you'll notice she does better when she gets shots.

petdr March 8th, 2005 09:54 AM

It is not likely to be due vaccination, however all things are possible in nature. More likely is that stress of vaccination set your puppy up for another type of mild infection/fever. This, coupled with a visit to a clinic where sick animals also visit (and therby provide plenty of microbial challenge) can cause puppy/kitten illness a few days after vaccination.

Ever notice that pediatricians' offices frequently have a sick waiting area and a well waiting area? It is to minimize transfer of sickness among children. I wish we as veterinarians would do this, too, with our healthy and ill patients.

Perhaps a telephone consult with your vet will allow a plan of treatment so that you don't needlessly expose your puppy to more challenages.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490

Prin March 8th, 2005 08:19 PM

When the vet I worked at gave my dogs ALL their shots in one visit, they were sick for 2 weeks and my regular vet said that some dogs can't handle that many shots in one day. He said it's better to spread them 2 weeks apart, which is ok if you get the lepto because you have to go back anyway.

But if it was just for 1 day, I agree with the Dr., it was probably just nerves.