Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Never before seen destructive Beetle (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71852)

chico2 August 5th, 2010 04:04 PM

Never before seen destructive Beetle

3 Attachment(s)
In all the years of attempting to garden,I have never seen these before,they eat holes in Roses,Rose of Sharon and now the Hibiscus..there seems to be a lot around,anyone know what they are,other than just Beetles,oh and they fly.

hazelrunpack August 5th, 2010 04:15 PM

Is that a Japanese beetle, chico? They're an imported pest....don't know how they got here, but they do a lot of damage here, too, and don't have many natural predators.

Love4himies August 5th, 2010 05:37 PM

Those are all over my rose bushes :yell::yell::yell::yell: :(. I finally put chicken wire around them to keep the deer from them and these beetles have eaten my flowers. Also, they have destroyed my birch trees. :mad:

Winston August 5th, 2010 08:15 PM

Hazel I think you hit the nail on the head! We could always have Bendy have a look!

Heres a link I found on them! ewww

[url]http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/marion/Pages/JapaneseBeetles.aspx[/url]

hazelrunpack August 5th, 2010 09:52 PM

They seem to be really bad one year, then not so bad the next. Haven't seen one for a while now, which means they'll probably be bad again next year :shrug:

Love4himies August 6th, 2010 07:00 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;942221]They seem to be really bad one year, then not so bad the next. Haven't seen one for a while now, which means they'll probably be bad again next year :shrug:[/QUOTE]

They have moved east to my place :frustrated: :laughing:

chico2 August 6th, 2010 07:32 AM

Thank's Winston,that's exactly what they are and I suspected they were some Asian creature,but was afraid to sound racist:laughing:
Not much good seem to come from Asia:frustrated:

So far I've had hubby pluck them off,but there are a lot,maybe I'll have him go around with a bucket of soapy water to all my flowers and drown them.

hazelrunpack August 6th, 2010 09:59 AM

chico, around here they have bags that are treated with some sort of scent or pheromone that attracts the Japanese beetles. They do attract more beetles to the area of the bag, so if you get one, hang it away from the gardens, but they do trap and kill lots of the beetles. Every beetle you eradicate this summer will mean fewer beetles next year!

chico2 August 6th, 2010 03:32 PM

Hazel,while walking Bailey today,we visited a friend,she's a supreme gardener and all her Roses,Dahlias,Calla-Lilies +others I can't remember,are eaten,she has tons of the Japanese Beetle.:yell:
I only have a few each day,but enough to be a problem with my flowers,we pick them off and kill them in a bucket with detergent and water.
I guess I should say hubby does the execution,I am weird,don't like to kill anything:loser:
I have not seen anything like you describe in the stores,but I'll check again.

hazelrunpack August 6th, 2010 08:43 PM

If the garden stores there don't have any, I'll bet they'd be able to order some, chico.

Winston August 6th, 2010 09:25 PM

Chico you know I am not too far from you and I have not seen any of those at all thank god! I have a problem with alot of earwigs this year. I actually had 2 earwigs that were perfectly white and full grown....gross....

I hope the detergent works! can you apply it to the flowers with a spray bottle? to save the plant before they get on it?

hazelrunpack August 6th, 2010 09:56 PM

No, I think you have to check your plants for beetles every day, Winston. When you see them, you pluck them off the plant and throw them in soapy water... If you have a lot of beetles it can be overwhelming... :o

chico2 August 7th, 2010 08:42 AM

We don't have many,so we will stick with just drowning them.
My friend has an enormous garden,I'll tell her about those bag-thingys.
Winston,sometimes you don't see them right away,but you'll notice holes in your flower-petals,mind you my in friends garden,they also eat leaves..