Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dog peeing on her bed and blankets (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24239)

angeluv24 February 23rd, 2006 05:13 PM

Dog peeing on her bed and blankets

I just recently rescued a female dog of probably 4 years old that was an outside dog for the past 2 years, but before that was an inside dog. She pees on her bed during the night, but has also peed on her blanket that is on the couch right in front of us. She is house trained as she never has "#2" accidents inside. I take her out and praise her when she pees outside, I wash her bedding after her accidents, but this is a behavior that has gone on for a long time, and my question is, of course, HOW do I stop it?! She's a sweet little dog and I don't want to put her outside (it gets -30 in the winter here and she is 13 lbs and doesn't have much hair!!!) because of this!
Thank you for your help, I'm new here and hope I'm doing this right!
Angela:crazy:

Lucky Rescue February 23rd, 2006 05:36 PM

If your dog is peeing on her bed during the night, it sounds like incontinence of some sort.

PLEASE call your vet, and take a urine sample in for analysis.

When my dog started wetting her bed at night, it turned that she had a bladder infection AND bladder stones that needed surgery.

Spayed dogs can also get "spay incontinence" and that can be treated with inexpensive hormones.

Please don't even consider putting this little outside for something she cannot control and get a vet appointment asap!

Prin February 24th, 2006 02:36 AM

I agree with Lucky. If it's not a uti or bladder stones, then it's spay incontinence. My doggy has that and it costs me about $30/year (although the meds are increasing in price these days). If it is that, you'll either get hot pink estrogen pills to give her (they come running when you shake the bottle) or a liquid to put in her food that strengthens her bladder muscles.

Good luck and please see your vet. You don't have to live in frustration.:)

SarahLynn123 February 26th, 2006 01:18 PM

One of my dogs is incontinent and it can happen when she is wide awake! The pills work wonders and we actually weaned her off the pills and liquid, she is now only on high quality food.

Heres an example of what happened one day: We went for a run in the park and she was worn right out! Came home and she was laying on the couch while I was petting her and she emptied her ENTIRE bladder right there on the couch! Poor girl had no idea!

Definatly see the vet, my dog also had a bladder infection and crystals before we got her. Its a problem that can be really easily fixed!

Hope she gets better soon!

angeluv24 March 2nd, 2006 02:31 PM

Update

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I took my doggy to the vet and her tests came back that she had bladder stones; they gave me special dog food and antibiotics. I hope that this takes care of it! She's such a nice dog, thank you again for your help, and I really appreciate this site! :thumbs up

Lucky Rescue March 2nd, 2006 03:23 PM

Thank god someone finally took this poor girl to the vet, instead of booting her outside.

Bladder stones are painful and who knows how long she's been suffering with these.

I hope the special food will dissolve them.