Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are dog parks safe or did I just experience two bad days? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62444)

King April 29th, 2009 04:28 PM

Are dog parks safe or did I just experience two bad days?

I would love to let King run free in an off leash park. I know there are rules, I know there are big dogs especially when you compare them to King, I would like socialize King more. He loves being outside. However when we went to two different parks we experienced some unnerving incidents, one was he got trampled by bigger dogs not on purpose and I knew I brought King when he was to young and the other one I went to was run by the humain society which is a small park so I thought smaller dogs will be there when we got there there were just small dogs good, King got sniffed when we first got there then this beagle wouldn't leave King alone turned out he wasen't fixed then there friends showed up with another beagle (I think they were beagles) but the breed dosen't really matter and that dog ended up haveing King in her mouth at his back. these people didn't follow the rules which is very simple one is no small children, no dogs in heat, no dog under 6 months, dogs with good manner (can't really remember the word) oh good temper something like that. King and I left the park stood outside the fence and talked to these people sitting on the bench. Soon bigger dogs came and let me tell you those dogs were the best dogs I have seen behaved well trained well amazing I can only wish King will get there some day. So basically what I am asking is should I try the doggie park one more time? Turns out there is one just down the street from me......:shrug:

dogcatharmony April 29th, 2009 04:55 PM

personally I steer clear of places such as dog parks. My city does not have a legal dog park, but many places where people bring their dogs and let them off leash.

I have seen the dark side of dogs that have no manners that are off leash. My dog was brutally attacked by a Golden Retriever and had her private parts ripped open. Not only did it leave physical scars but many many mental scars that are harded to overcome than the physical.

I now take my dog to a play date that is set up by one of the local dog obediance schools. The dogs that are there have to have level two obediance or higher.........they know their manners or they cannot be there. I have to pay 5 dollars to go for a weekend of dog fun but I know that the dogs there are monitored. I know my dog has social problems, so we have started at the small dog level even though my dog is 60 pounds.....she plays with puppies and smaller breeds.

In my own situation this is what works for me......like I said i have seen the bad side...IMO too many people with no clue and too many dogs with no manners just equals problems. Example.....joe blow thinks his dog is cool with everything but has a slight guarding problem, but only at home.......my dog approaches, his dog gets worked up over the acorn he was sniffing.....dog growls, mine (with problems, growls back) fight ensues.....bad experience.

Remember this is coming from someone who had a well socialized, well trained, well mannered dog............it turned quickly. I just didn't start out thinking well my dog is good with everything. But I learnt quickly that problems start quicker than they can be fixedl

Socialize your dog.....but in a more controlled enviroment than a dog park.

Just my two cents.

King April 29th, 2009 05:01 PM

Thank you I will look into other options didn't realize that obiedience schools offered socializing days.

pbpatti April 29th, 2009 05:18 PM

There are several off leash dog parks here, I have tried most of them and the one that I prefer has trails by a creek. The others are open fields, in the fields I always fear that Sasha will step in hole and break a leg or worse another dog will attack her. Unfortunately there are always dogs that are ill behaved. not always their fault but their owners.... pbp

Etown_Chick April 29th, 2009 05:56 PM

I've had issues with many of the badly trained dogs, often owned by clueless people. However most at my regular dog park are rescue dogs, so I expect them to have a few rough edges.
What helped us was joining a regular dog-walking group. Scruffy's been accepted as part of the pack, which helped his confidence a lot. And for him, that's really teh only place where he can get enough exercise. An hour of tossing the ball is easier to fit into my day than how ever many hours of walking would equal that.

King April 29th, 2009 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope I did this right. This is my boy King recently taken 2 days ago.

King April 29th, 2009 07:25 PM

I posted an ad on kijiji to start a weekly dog walking group. It starts this monday I am excited really looking forward to it hopefully people will show up........:goodvibes:

dogcatharmony April 29th, 2009 07:31 PM

oh what a sweetie!

I would try to find some other kind of socialization for him. I forgot to add in my last post, after being attacked my girl has huge problems with dogs her size or bigger. Little dogs, well she plays like crazy.

If you can't find an obediance class that offers socialization classes then look for a group that meets. In my city we have some people that meet that all have dogs either of the same breed or the same size. I have been looking into a few with my girl but I want proof of vaccinations and proof of obediance (which I get going through the obediance school). I know in the back of my head the need for proof of obediance training may be a bit for some people to handle, but I would like the possiblitly that there dog knows to stop when the owner says stop. Plus the vaccination thing is a must with me, parvo and lepto have been going around my city. Better safe than sorry.

King April 29th, 2009 08:09 PM

I have tried to search around for the socialization but not getting much luck on finding any. So I decided to stick with the dog walking group. I never thought of proof of anything really, because I guess I would think everyone would be a responsible pet owner and would want nothing but the best for them protecting from anything that they can. I have never been to obiedence classes with King I do the basics however he gets excited but I am right there to control it. I am hesitant with the bigger dogs around king because I am afraid they will hurt him but with what I have witnessed lately its not the big dogs I should worry about its the small ones. But I know King and is submissive he lays down when another dog approaches lets the other dog sniff and then he goes on his way and then there is me paniking cause I am worried something will happen to him. I want this to benefit the both of us.

lUvMyLaB<3 April 30th, 2009 10:27 AM

What a sweatheart!! how cute is that pup!?!?

I have had a few problems at one of our parks too, but usually it goes well. if you are not comfortable, then don't go. It is always possible that there may be an unpredictable dog. Do you have by law that you can call when you see someone not following rules?

One of our parks is down by the river, and not too far from a busy road, This park is not fenced, and that is the one I like to go to. There is a rule that all dogs must have a reliable re-call. And to go to this park you have to!! Seems to help that no one will go there if they cannot trust their dog, seems there is more trouble at the fenced park. some of our rules are, all dogs must be licensed- and by law animal control does come and check often, no dogs in heat, reliable recall, no agressive behavior.. ect.. but there is often someone that shows up that cannot read the signs!!

King April 30th, 2009 03:38 PM

We have similar rules yet never seen anyone come by to make sure they are being followed yet only been twice. I have started the dog walking group I am getting alot of people saying great I will be there, well 5 people but I think thats pretty good for only posting in last night, yet people could show up without replying to. All the people going seem to have the small dogs ie weener dog, mini schnozer, lapso apso boy my spelling is pretty bad but I am trying my best :shrug:. I am really looking forward to this and I hope it keeps going.....I will keep you all posted on what happens monday is our first night........:fingerscr

King April 30th, 2009 03:40 PM

King turned one on April 15th. Thank you.

Etown_Chick April 30th, 2009 08:40 PM

King,
best of luck with your dog walking group. Having dogs of a similar size sounds like a good idea. To me, it's all about exercising and having fun with the dog, not about worrying about attacks. You do what works for you.