Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   a little kitten swollen belly (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53409)

suzan arslan June 17th, 2008 11:54 AM

a little kitten swollen belly

hello all... im new to this thread

my name is suzan and i live in jordan middle east

2 days ago i found a little kitten who is probably 2 weeks old(still new to walking)

anyhow ... when i first got him he was very little and probbably not been fed for like 3 or 4 days

so i took him home and started feeding him milk with an eye dropper

today i noticed that his belly is swollen... it has been since it started to be fed by me but not like today...

it is a little hard as well

is it a serious problem????

i dont have access to a vet where i live now ... i should go for a t least 2 hours ride for the nearest vet ... so if u can help me and tell me what to do by my self and thanks

:)

ps: he keeps crying >> and seems always hungry... even after feeding he has this aurge to keep sucking on my thumb or biting

help plz

suzan arslan June 17th, 2008 11:57 AM

and yes forgot to tell... he dosnt poo that often ... maybe once a day ...

Love4himies June 17th, 2008 12:11 PM

Tiny kittens need help to urinate and defecate. Momma cats lick the kitten's bums to stimulate elimination.
Can you take a warm, wet cloth and gently rub his back end and see if that will stimulate him to poop and pee?

Also, I was wondering if it is kitten formula milk you are feeding him. Many cats can't have cow's milk as it makes them lactose intorant and can cause gas or bloating. Is there anyplace else that may have kitten forumula beside the vet 2 hours away?

Love4himies June 17th, 2008 12:13 PM

He could also have worms. I know the vet is far, but perhaps even a phone call to them to ask for advice.

Love4himies June 17th, 2008 12:15 PM

Here is a link:

[url]http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/MilkReplacementforKittens.htm[/url]

suzan arslan June 17th, 2008 01:00 PM

thanks alot for replying ... i think i better go to vet tomorrow .... poor little thing ... i fix em pouder milk(whole cow milk) this is what i have right now ....

and is it normal for the cat to keep crying ? and what about the thumb suck? dose it mean he is hungry still?

and how much should he get milk and how frequent.... thanks alot ...

Love4himies June 17th, 2008 01:13 PM

Kittens normally nurse every two hours or so and will nurse until they are full or momma decides she's had enough.

Gently pinch and twist the skin on the scruff of the kittens neck, if is does not bounce right back into place, then the kitten is dehydrated and needs more fluid.
Quote from the internet:

[url]http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm[/url]
At Foothill Felines, we've found it is easier to start young kittens off using a plastic syringe (without the needle of course!) instead of a small bottle; it's easier for us to control the flow of the formula and even be able to give it drop by drop if needed. From the newborn stage until the kittens are about 1 1/2 weeks old, use a 3 cc. syringe, and feed every 2 hours. At 1 1/2 weeks old, they are ready for the 6 cc. syringe size and feeding every 3 hours, and at about 3 weeks old, move them up to a 12 cc. syringe, feeding them at least every 4 hours. An average meal for a 3 week old kitten can vary from a single syringe full (12 fluid cc) to three syringes full (36 fluid cc) for a large and hungry kitten!!

A cc is a ml.

sugarcatmom June 17th, 2008 01:14 PM

Here are a couple of links for you to read on caring for orphaned kittens:
[url]http://www.alleycat.org/pdf/kitten.pdf[/url]
[url]http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/kittens3.html[/url]

Love4himies June 17th, 2008 01:20 PM

Here is another quote from a website:

[url]http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm[/url]
If you live in a part of the world where kitten milk replacement is unavailable then feed a mixture of l cup of milk, one tablespoon corn oil, three egg yolks and three drops of pediatric multivitamins. For reasons I do not know, reconstituted powdered milk or reconstituted evaporated milk seem to work better than fresh whole cows milk. Kittens have a limited ability to digest the lactose or milk sugar in cow’s milk. This can lead to bloat and diarrhea problems. This problem can be solved by adding lactase enzyme to the formula if it is available in your part of the world.

How Much To Feed:
Each day the average kitten needs 30-32b milliliters of formula for every 4 ounces of body weight. During week one give about 15 ml for every 100 grams (3.5 ounces) body weight. During week two give 15-18 ml for every 100 grams body weight. During weeks three and four give 20 ml for every 100 grams body weight.

lillibou June 17th, 2008 03:21 PM

No human formula at all

It constipates the kitten and keeps them from pooping. It happened to my kitten Mew(I rescued him from someone who didn't know how to care for kittens-they fed him human formula and he ended up needing an enema to get the stuff out of him)

In a pinch, until you can get KMR or some other kitten formula, you may use evap milk at full strength. Just until you can get formula. That's why he's crying a lot. Also, get a heating pad for him to curl up on--he needs the warmth.

suzan arslan June 17th, 2008 04:08 PM

thanks everyone for replying >>>

i made the formula with the egg yolks ... i put the extra in a glass bottle ... and put it in the fridge>>>

now for how long can i use this formula ?or lets say for how long should i keep it untill i make a new one ????

suzan arslan June 18th, 2008 11:00 AM

good evening everyone .... last updates on my little kitten ...

well i fixed the formula u told me about ... yesterday ... and since last night till today she pooped 5 times .... yellowish poop... but still stomach swollen .. not like the other day but still... now she dosent scream like b4 .... and one more question plz .... do this age of kittens sleep alot ? all she do now is take her milk ... walk around for 5 minutes then sleep till the next feed time ... so is that normal????

Love4himies June 18th, 2008 11:16 AM

Is there anyway to post a picture of the kitten, that would give us a better idea of how old this kitten is.

A 3 week old kitten will eat and sleep with a bit of playing in between, it should be more than 5 minutes of playing, if I remember correctly, My foster kittens at that age were playing for about an hour, eating then sleeping for a couple of hours. After 3-4 weeks they should be awake and playing for at least a couple of hours at a time.

Yellow poop can be a sign of a stomach infection, are you going to be able to take him to a vet?

sugarcatmom June 18th, 2008 11:25 AM

[QUOTE=suzan arslan;608525]i made the formula with the egg yolks ... i put the extra in a glass bottle ... and put it in the fridge>>>

now for how long can i use this formula ?or lets say for how long should i keep it untill i make a new one ????[/QUOTE]

Not sure about how long it would last for - maybe a couple days?? But it should only be for emergency feeding anyway so hopefully you can get some kitten formula in the meantime. The other thing is, make sure you warm up the food from the fridge before you feed it. Kittens have difficulty maintaining their body temp and can easily become too chilled if you feed it cold.

suzan arslan June 18th, 2008 02:10 PM

i will post some pictures tomorrow hopefully.... but maybe she is 2 weeks old... coz she can barely walk ... and tomorrow im taking her to the vet as well ..

:thumbs up

Love4himies June 20th, 2008 08:45 AM

How is your kitty doing?

suzan arslan June 22nd, 2008 07:04 AM

she is doing fine ... much better ... she turned out to be 1 week of age the time i first posted the this link... now she is almost 2 weeks...

took her to the vet .. he gave her a shot so if there is any infections in her stomach... anti gas med .... vitamins ... and i bought a bottle and she is drinking her lactouse free milk just fine .. she poops 3 to 4 times now ... still yellowish but she seems healthy... no more screamming unless hungry ... she trys to play a little .. but still prefers to sleep alot ....

the other day i noticed some little blood with her stool... it wasnt fresh blood... maybe what waqs bothering her inside cameout... not sure .. but she seems happier now .... got used to us and the house ... she thinks im her mother i guess... when ever she hears my voice she comes out of her box and follows me everywhere ... :):)

hope she turnes out to be one healthy cat

thanks for the help and ill keep u updated ... and hopefully a bunch of pics on the way :)

Love4himies June 22nd, 2008 04:52 PM

I am so glad to hear that! She will think you are her momma and will probably be very close to you! Great work:thumbs up

Love4himies July 4th, 2008 12:57 PM

Any updates on this little kitty?

suzan arslan July 6th, 2008 04:27 PM

hello everyone .... at first i want to thank u all for helping me to raise this cat and let it survive ... any how ...

here is a utube link u can watch ... he is aslmost 3 weeks old and started playing and also started eating ... but he cant give the bottle LOL

here is the link

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lg4FUHiZ6Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lg4FUHiZ6Q[/URL]

and another one

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyh6vOC2BpA&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyh6vOC2BpA&feature=related[/URL]

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

14+kitties July 6th, 2008 04:48 PM

What a little sweetheart!! Thank you :cat::angel: for everything you have done for him!!!!
Keep us updated on his progress please!

suzan arslan July 6th, 2008 04:58 PM

your welcome ... :)

ill keep u updated no worries ...

but one little thing..

now he seems a very healthy cat... plays alot ... eats ALOOOT

his stomach started to seem to be swollen a little ... Normal???

Love4himies July 7th, 2008 08:52 AM

Is he eating kitten food now? Does it increase just after he eats or continuous?

He could have parasites.

Thanks for keeping us updated. He is such a sweetie. You are doing a great job with him:thumbs up.

badger July 7th, 2008 09:09 AM

That fat tummy may just seem big because the rest of him is so thin?
But I think the odds of him having parasites are extremely high. Please consult the vet about this, since he is extremely young (and adorable. those ears!) and you may even have to wait until he is older. Don't give him anything you see in the stores. Those products are at best useless and at worst, harmful; stay away from them.
Did you in fact take him to the vet? I realize it's difficult to get there but he needs a good start, health-wise, having had such a hard early life so the sooner you can get him looked at, the better.
He is a very lucky baby.

suzan arslan July 7th, 2008 10:06 AM

it is continues (the big tommy)... after i took em to the vet ... it got muuuuuuuuuch better .... but after i started feeding him canned kitten meat ... it started to swollen again>> but not like it was b4 >>>

anyhow the other day i saw a video on u tube ... and there was this cat that is soooooooooooooo alike with my kitten ... looks exactly the same like a twin and same belly as well

ill put it now to let u see how my cats belly look like :)

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIbaHAktDw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIbaHAktDw[/URL]

(YELLOW KITTEN)
extreme resemblance>> same eyes same favce same color loool

but the only thing different is that my cats belly is a little bit bigger

maybe i have said this ... but he eats ALOT.... ALWAYS ASKING FOR MILK OR MEAT ....

suzan arslan July 7th, 2008 10:08 AM

AND OH YES >>> forget to say that he poops from 4 to 5 times and its very normal ...

mona_b July 7th, 2008 10:12 AM

OMG your baby is GOREGEOUS.....:cloud9:

Question.How much are you feeding him?And how often?

suzan arslan July 7th, 2008 01:51 PM

he eats very very often ... vary's between milk and canned food.. but he prefers the canned meat now more than milk ..

milk maybe he finishes lets say 50 CC's through the whole day

drinks water from a plate a little

and 3 to 4 times canned meat ... lets say 1 big table spoon per meal and sometimes it can be 2 table spoons...

is that too much?

he is now almost 3 weeks ...

and just started playing but still walks like a drunk sometimes LOL
cant even jump from a pillow on the floor... chicken LOL

mona_b July 7th, 2008 02:24 PM

I think mabe you should have him on a smaller portion.Like a full teaspoon and just break up the feeding a bit more.

His tummy probably gets bigger cause he's eating to much at once.:)

Remember you have just introduced him to food.;)

Just like a baby.You introduce them to solids bit by bit.

sandyrivers July 14th, 2008 09:20 PM

Hi Susan,
About your kitten "suckling", you can look up my post about my 13 month old 'kitten' Tonali. She was orphaned at 2 weeks and has always suckled my ear since, tho she is now grow up and considered 'adult' by cat standards. It seems that kittens who were orphaned too early have this tendency to suckle their humans or objects such as blankets or stuffed animals.
As for the 'big belly' issue, i wouldn't worry, kittens sometimes appear to have 'disproportionate' body parts, i think its part of 'growing up' a bit like some teenagers have have one arm longer than the other, type of thing...
You can look up my u tube as well 'cstmontreal' is my login.
Godd luck with your little one, and dont worry, it seems to me that if a kitten purrs, plays, and seems overall curious and inquisitive, its in good health!

Thanks for being there for this kitten.

Best wishes from Canada!
Sandy