Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Reaction to vacine (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39940)

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:36 PM

Reaction to vacine

Had Princess [1&1/2 yr shihzu] in for her shots last nite,,About 2 AM she woke me up and her head was swelled up and she was scratching her face like she was going crazy. Called the emerengy number and was talking to the vet,, he got me to check her color [lips tongue and gums], she wasn't vomiting or had diaherra so he thought she would be alright. She was much better in the morning,,swelling had gone down and was not itching, ate her breakfast and went for our walk as usual. I called my vet this morning to let her know and she said she would probaly be fine, to give her a little benadrill.
Has anyone had this experience?? The vet explained about reactions before she gave princess the shot so I knew what might happen,,but it was still not a good feeling to see her take a reaction.
Dobb

Hunter's_owner May 2nd, 2007 05:38 PM

I have never seen that reaction, but Cassie's sister had the same sort of thing happen to her, so each time with Cassie we always take extra care to look for a reaction.
It must have been so scary:sad: Glad she is doing better now:thumbs up

Prin May 2nd, 2007 05:38 PM

Crazy! I'm glad she's ok now.. Sounds like an allergic reaction to the vaccine, rather than the "normal" rare side effect reactions... Make sure you remember that for the future, and I'd get titers from now on for her instead of vaccines.:fingerscr

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:40 PM

Vet said it was probaly the one that goes in the nose,,boretella,,I think.
Dobb

Hunter's_owner May 2nd, 2007 05:41 PM

Yeah I was just about to post the same thing when I read what Prin wrote.

The next reaction may be even more severe. I would be very careful if I were you. That is what they do with Lucy now, check the titers so that no vaccine has to be given. Better to be safe than sorry.

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:42 PM

What's "titers"?

rainbow May 2nd, 2007 05:43 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like there have been a lot of reactions to vaccinations lately?

Hunter's_owner May 2nd, 2007 05:45 PM

[QUOTE=Dobb;419268]What's "titers"?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Taking blood for an annual titer test, to check a dog’s level of immune defenses, should replace the habit of vaccinating dogs annually whether or not they need it.[/QUOTE]
From:[url]http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/titer_test.htm[/url]

It measures the level of antibodies in the blood.

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:45 PM

My god ,you people are fast on here,,lol. There is a new response before I can two finger type an answer,,Dobb

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:50 PM

I will mention that to the vet. She told me about more reactions lately,,they think that in smaller dogs there is just too much vaccines for one shot,, so now she gives half shots a week apart.
Dobb

Prin May 2nd, 2007 05:54 PM

I give them a year apart... Like one year, I get rabies and the next year, I get distemper... I never do more than one at a time.:o (btw, both are good for 3 years now)

Dobb May 2nd, 2007 05:57 PM

Thanks for all the replies,,She wants me to call tomorrow to let her know how Princess is doing , so I will mention it to her then.
Dobb

rainbow May 2nd, 2007 06:08 PM

Yeah, they say to stagger the vaccinations and not give them all at once. But, I'm also reading more nowadays, that after they've had their first shots and the next years boosters, then they only need their rabies shots after that. :shrug:

Human vaccinations last a lifetime (except for tetanus) so why don't dogs and cats?

otter May 2nd, 2007 06:42 PM

My cat had a reaction to the vaccines she got this year. She got very lethargic, wouldn't eat and had a fever. It's hard to tell if she was swollen cause she is long haired and always very fluffy. I called the vet, like you,and was told to watch for trouble with breathing mainly and keep a close eye on her for 24 hours. She fully recovered after about 48-72 hours but it was definitely scary. From what I read and what the vet said, reactions aren't really common but are not entirely unexpected. I'm going to be VERY wary next time she needs vaccines.

Good to know about titer testing...i'm going to see if you can get that for cats too.

LittleMomma May 2nd, 2007 09:17 PM

Our cat in currently having a fierce reaction, but she has multiple lumps along her back instead of the type your kitty is having. I just wanted to say that I'm never vaccinating again. Period. It's impossible to deal with the guilt of having "caused" it indirectly. You do everything you can to keep them safe, and you think vaccines are safe (at least I did, I had no idea at all they could cause any harm).

otter May 2nd, 2007 09:50 PM

I agree, I never had ANY idea that vaccines could be harmful. No vet ever told me to watch out for anything.
My mom is a nurse and they even tell people who get the flu shot not to leave the building for at least 1/2 hour after they get their shot. Most human allergy clinics require people to stay at least 1/2 hour after testing. Why don't vets suggest similar things?

IF I ever vaccinate again I'm staying at the vets office for at least 1/2 hour!!

LittleMomma I hope all works out ok for your kitty and there is a complete (and quick) recovery. :pray: :grouphug: :goodvibes: . I'm soo sorry this is how you've had to learn about all this.

SuperWanda May 2nd, 2007 09:54 PM

I just had our dogs vaccinated tonight for DA2PP. One of my dogs has had reactions in the past. The vet can change the brand of vaccine as well and that's what I did for my dog two years ago and she was fine the next time.

Rabies is a 3 year now. I had rabies last year so I'll get the new 3-year one starting next year. They are constantly improving and changing the vaccines.

As mentioned above, don't get them done at the same time for allergic pets. If you happen to need both in the same year, wait at least a couple of weeks before getting the second.

IMO, vaccines are still important. There will be side effects but I think you have to look at the benefits they bring as well. Allergic reaction can be a scary situation but you can always change the brand or stagger them or do titers - although titers can run around $300.