Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bichon Frisee has crystals in urine. Answered by Dr. Slome (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64)

petdr May 4th, 2001 04:07 PM

[b]Question: Bichon Frisee

I am looking for medical information on this breed. I own a boy that is 12 weeks old and has had crystals in his urine and blood in his urine microscopically. The crystals have been eliminated by antibiotics and now we are trying a liquid antibiotic to cure the blood (you can not see the blood when he eliminates)

I feel due to this problem, we are having difficulties toilet training him. Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

Dana

Answer:[/b]

Dear Dana

This sounds like a typical cystitis (bladder infection) or urine infection.
Infection will be responsible for blood and immune cells being in the urine as well as crystals developing in the urine. In my opinion and experience it will take about a month worth of antibiotics and using special foods. The crystals and blood and infection should all slowly resolve with the course of treatment and if all looks good a urine sample should be rechecked a month later. This is the normal procedure but should obviously be monitored carefully and a urine culture and brays may also be necessary.

This condition will definitely affect proper house training and you will need to wait for the condition to clear somewhat before getting frustrated about poor house training.

Good luck. Bichons are great little dogs.

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855

jerseymilk12 February 3rd, 2002 01:06 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by petdr [/i]
[B][b]Question: Bichon Frisee

I am looking for medical information on this breed. I own a boy that is 12 weeks old and has had crystals in his urine and blood in his urine microscopically. The crystals have been eliminated by antibiotics and now we are trying a liquid antibiotic to cure the blood (you can not see the blood when he eliminates)

I feel due to this problem, we are having difficulties toilet training him. Any help you could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you,

Dana

Answer:[/b]

Dear Dana

This sounds like a typical cystitis (bladder infection) or urine infection.
Infection will be responsible for blood and immune cells being in the urine as well as crystals developing in the urine. In my opinion and experience it will take about a month worth of antibiotics and using special foods. The crystals and blood and infection should all slowly resolve with the course of treatment and if all looks good a urine sample should be rechecked a month later. This is the normal procedure but should obviously be monitored carefully and a urine culture and brays may also be necessary.

This condition will definitely affect proper house training and you will need to wait for the condition to clear somewhat before getting frustrated about poor house training.

Good luck. Bichons are great little dogs.

Martin Slome DVM
Centre Street Animal Hospital
Thornhill, Ontario, L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855 [/B][/QUOTE]

hi my name is Kayla Mayer,

My family owns a bichon frisee.
Her name is Zoey and she is 5 years old.
her birthday is on september 23!
i read your letter to the vet and it sounds just the same as my dog.
My dog had crystals. She when on antibiotics. She has to eat special food that has medication in it. Now she is off antibiotics and is doing great. at first she didn't like the food but now she has gotten use to it.
Your dog will soon get better . good luck
By the way what is your dog's name and any information about him?

Send to *******

*no email addresses please