Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Fish (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Free fish (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22595)

kayla November 18th, 2003 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sneakypete how far did you move your fish? I'm driving from Montreal to BC, was supposed to only move as far as Ontario but plans changed. So that would mean a week or so in a hot car while I drive them across, I just can't see them surviving this! Out of curiousity how did you keep the water from sloshing everywhere in the car?

I wasn't sure what the little brown ones were called, thanks! This is what they look like, except they have an orange stripe above the black one too.

kayla November 18th, 2003 01:47 PM

That's odd, why did my last post go to the beginning of the thread?:confused:

kayla January 3rd, 2006 08:11 AM

Free fish

I have some fish which I need to find a new home for. There are 6 neon tetras, 2 harlequin tetras (I think that's what they are, same size as neons but orange and brown), 3 corydoras (one panda, one albino, and one brown one) and one red beta. They all live together, the beta is very friendly and doesn't chase after the others (they've been living in harmony for about 3 months now). Anyways the tank that they live in is cracked, I don't want to buy a new one since I'm moving next summer and won't be able to move them with me (they will likely die if I try) and the new tank would probably just crack again knowing my luck, and I'm going away in the meantime and don't trust my roommate not to kill them while I'm gone as she has been known to do so in the past. There's a bunch of plants whoever takes the fish can have too, but I've got a snail problem from them so you'd have to soak them in something to get rid of the snails before adding them to your tank.

Anyways, I live in Montreal so if anyone around here wants some free fish please PM me. I'm note sure if the "no free pets policy" applies to fish, if so then I'd ask you to donate some money to the SPCA. I'm leaving this Saturday for a while so if they could be in their new home by then that would be great so they don't all die under my roommates care while I'm gone!

Sneaky January 3rd, 2006 03:24 PM

Just a couple quick comments.
Moving fish shouldnt result in fish death. I have moved 3 tanks, a 10g,
a 25g and a 75g, and in the past a 90g full of very sensitive fish,
and never lost a single one. Moving fish is easy- just time consuming.
Tanks shouldnt cracked
when moved unless carried with water or gravel in them, or if seams are
already damaged. A leaky seam can be easily repaired with some silicone
for aquariums.
Harlequins are not tetras. They are rasboras, a cyprinid.
Hope you find a good home for these fish! Much better idea than
giving them back to a pet store.
Good luck!!

t.pettet January 3rd, 2006 08:22 PM

free fish

There should be a Montreal Aquarium Society listed on the net. The one in Ottawa is Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society and thats a great place to re-home fish. Members are always very knowledgable and happy to take unwanted fish off people's hands.

Sneaky January 4th, 2006 04:13 AM

Hi Kayla,
with just a few small fish such as yours a move would be easy.
For a move so long there would only be one essential
peice of hardware. A battery operated air pump.
Moving fish consists of a tote bin with tank water,
and then moving the tank sans all decor including gravel.
However, for such a long move,and considering you only have
a few small fish,you would probably be best to
rehome the fish and purchase new fish once you get there.
I have heard of several people who have moved far distances, including
one woman who moved from florida to california - pretty much the same distance you are travelling. She attributed her success to the battery operated air stone.
I may have to move my fish in the future, and it would probably be a nanaimo to calgary move or the like. I dont look forward to it, but considering I have over 1000 dollars just in fish alone invested in my 75g tank alone- i cannot think of leaving them behind!

Oh - the fish is the picture is a harlequin rasbora. The ones you are describing are the
slightly less common but same species lambchop rasbora - its just a different color morph.
And they are indeed not tetras but rasbora. Tetras are of the family Charachin, while Rasboras are of the family Cyprinidae. I have often seen the mislabelled as tetras! though they are about as distant relatives as horses and seals!
Good luck on your move whatever you decide!